Thread: ISWMGR.exe causes programs/internet to freeze up and prevents shut down/reboot of Vista.

roadtrip Guest

Default ISWMGR.exe causes programs/internet to freeze up and prevents shut down/reboot of Vista.

As the message subject says, "ISWMGR.exe causes programs/internet to freeze up and prevents shut down/reboot of Vista." This happens every time when running FF. I have to go to Task Manager and choose, "end process" to get anything back online. To get out of the "freeze up," I have to reboot, or shut down and get a message saying that "ISWMGR.EXE is preventing your computer from shutting down." That's when I go to Task Manager and end the process. After that, all is well.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm ForceField

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ISWMGR.exe causes programs/internet to freeze up and prevents shut down/reboot of Vista.

Well you can try out some of these moves:
    1 - Clear out virtual data - Settings > Advanced > Virtualization > Clear virtual data - you may want to do this at the end of each day or every week or any other schedule.
    2A - You can 'Exit ForceField' before shutdown > ( right click FF tray icon> see "Exit" ; if you have it on default - it will auto-start the next time you start up) = this takes care of slow shutdowns/ other issues
    due to ForceField.
    2B - You can 'Un-check "Startup" of ForceField > ( Settings > General > uncheck box for 'Startup' ) Then you will have to manually start-up FF at your convenience after your normal pc start-up, easy to do. { I created a desktop icon for my ForceField or you can go to 'All Programs to start it up }
    - You can try a resetting of ZA database 'if' you have a ZA firewall product (this works on ZA firewall only)1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot
    4 - if you use multiple browsers( IE7> IE8, Firefox, Opera, etc.), you may wish to clear out 'temp' files, or cache clean for each browser or use CCleaner to help clean out temp files.

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-20-2009 02:58 PM

roadtrip Guest

Default Re: ISWMGR.exe causes programs/internet to freeze up and prevents shut down/reboot of Vista.

Thanks for the info., NM. I've already tried all of the suggestions you offered and they do work, but the issue here is that we should not have to do any of these things in order for FF to be stable. One thing I haven't tried as of yet is to clear temp internet files in both IE and Firefox. I'll try this and see how it goes.

roadtrip Guest

I tried FF again after clearing out my temp internet files and still have the same problem.

When FF is running and I change web sites, the computer locks up. Again the only way to get things to work as they should is to disable FF completely.
    I'm wondering if this
    a Vista issue. The new version claims to be compatable and
    my system well exceeds the requirements. Also, to add to the issue, FF will not open any web pages without finding ISWMGR.exe in the Task Manager and ending the processes. I show two ISWMGR.exe entries.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ISWMGR.exe

In addition to the previous moves I had mentioned in first post - if you have 'privacy' protection - you can experiment with "all" privacy protection off- all cookies, all ads, mobile code, shut-off privacy advisor and clear out site list; and let ForceField control the browser security/ protection - there are times when 'privacy' protection controls conflict with FF and having 'privacy' off helps with normal pc functions. { my case - ZA Pro - I have 'privacy' all off/ site list clear/ privacy advisor-off
    and FF works better/ internet /access functions well }.<hr><hr>If you are willing, I will suggest an un-install of ForceField and a re-install. Use this - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...;message.id=85
    &lt; follow these instructions and then re-install.<hr>Thoughts: whenever there is an upgrade for FF - it's best to un-install the old current version before installing the new version. That's what I've been doing. I don't know if you've done the same.When ever upgrading Firefox or some other browser; or adding a new toolbar, plug-in, add-on, browser utility, etc. - it's best to do this with FF &gt; 'temporarily' shut-off while
    installing/ upgrading these browser tools.If your using multiple browsers(IE7&gt;IE8, Firfefox, Opera,etc.), make sure you shut-down FF in that browser's use before using/starting
    a new -
    'other' browser (otherwise - possible for ISWMGR.exe to get stuck - so to speak in the 'now' un-used/ dormant
    browser &gt; then open FF for the new browser)<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 03-20-2009 02:57 PM

braktoot Guest

Default Re: ISWMGR.exe

...I have same issue with hanging ISWMGR.exe task on a Vista operating PC...More descriptive info below...
    Taking advantage of the 3 licences I installed ZoneAlarm Extreme Security a desktop PC's running XP Pro version 2002 Service Pack 3 with the latest updates....A Toshiba Satellite laptop PC running XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3...and A Dell Inspiron Desktop Running Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 32-bit.
    Well ZoneAlarm Extrem Security seems to be getting along with XP Pro and XP Home on the Desktop and Laptop PCs I have. Unfortunately I always seem to have problems with the Desktop running Windows Vista. I had the same ISWMGR.exe issue in this thread. Typically all 3 PC's are operated with 'Limited User' accounts...regardless the ISWMGR.exe issue pops up when logged in with admin privileges (again only on the
    PC with VISTA as the operating system)

I've given up for the time being with Extreme Security on the Vista PC until I read something further here on the forum that gives me confidence to try installing it again on the Vista operating PC. Today I uninstalled Extreme security from the Vista operating PC and reinstalled ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v 8.0.059.000 until I regain enough confidence in the upgrade to Extreme Security
    or
    ZoneAlarm Internet security suite v
    8.0.298.000 running on a VISTA platform.
    Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Thread Information