Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: does forcefield block adds?

  1. #1
    cooloutac Guest

    Default does forcefield block adds?

    when i go to my yahoo.com... there is adds everywhere...


    i used to love the privacy settings in zass to especially block the ads while i';m playing games.

    now when i go to play spades.... adds are flashing at the top of the screen distracting me and driving me nuts.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    <blockquote><hr>CooloutAC wrote:
    when i go to my yahoo.com... there is adds everywhere...


    i used to love the privacy settings in zass to especially block the ads while i';m playing games.

    now when i go to play spades.... adds are flashing at the top of the screen distracting me and driving me nuts.


    <hr></blockquote>


    No, the FF does not block ads or other unwanted/controlled web content...it is a sandboxing program with a site filter and a spyware scanner, along with other security features such as anti-keylogger protections.
    Something a little different than the Privacy which is a strict web content filtering aspect of the ZA.

    Want to block ads??

    Try this .xml file.... based on adblock for firefox....converted to .xml format to be used in the IE8...something I found posted at the dsl forum:

    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...file=rules.xml

    and that will block ads.

    Also I have a .css file for the browser that can be used with this .xml file...designed with Opera browser in mind, but I find it works okay with the IE 8 browser too:

    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...=adblocker.css

    How to use the .xml file...open the IE 8...open 'safety'...open the 'InPrivate Filtering Settings'...select the 'Advanced Setting' link in the new "InPrivate Filtering settings'" window....select the 'InPrivate Filtering' in the left menu....select the 'Import"...then Close and OK ...close the IE to make the change.

    How to use the .cssfile...open the IE 8...open 'Tools'...open the 'Internet Options'...open the "General' tab in the Internet Options window... under the 'Appearance" open the 'Accessibility' button...in the new 'Accessibility' windows, now check the 'Format documents using my style sheet'....add the .css using the 'Browse...' button....OK and Apply and OK...close the Internet Explorer to make the changes.

    Oldsod.

    Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-15-2009 12:53 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  3. #3
    cooloutac Guest

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    tks man. i'll try that out with ie8.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    Many or all of these ads/banners/unwanted flash are block-able in the ZA firewall.

    Look at the sites in the Log Viewer to view the sites/IP, right click on the unwanted ad/banner site(s) and select the 'Block Zone'; the ZA will automatically add these new manual selections to the Block Zone in the Zones of the Firewall.
    Or open the Zones of the Firewall, then add the unwanted sites as the Block Zone using either the address or the actual IP. IP ranges instead of single IPs can be used too...for example... 12.45.120.0-12.45.120.255 for one of the many IP ranges for doubleclick or 63.80.182.144-63.80.182.159 for one of the several IP ranges for tribal fusion.

    I can give you this list....not a complete list but fairly effective for blocking some unwanted ranges (bogons), some ads and banners and of course some unwanted spyware and troyans sites. Not a complete list but it is a decent starting point.

    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...es_blocker.xml

    [EDIT: you may need to remove some of the entries....some IP ranges for performance systems or underage host or zonealarm or zonelabs may have to be removed! Also certains IP blocks would have to be edited or removed as well to make things work ...for example is you work for Ford or the DoD or certain corporations. Any IP or IP ranges that are blocked will be always seen as Blocked in the Log Viewer, thus further editing is easily followed up in the Zones (and then create a newer backup to permanently store the new changes).]


    This .xml file must be added to a newly made backup of the ZA using the ZA's own backup feature. Once completed to the backup, the backup is then restored in the ZA and the new entries are added in automatically by the ZA.
    A brief and very good description as to how to add the block list into the ZA is here (they describe using the ZA backup editing with the pg blocklist, but the same idea is being used.

    http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/archiv...hp?t-2115.html

    The exact ZA style for the xml file must be closely followed as the original, as any newly made mispaces or new line spaces or incorrectly placed targets wil result in a failed restore.
    Both the beginning and the end of the new list must be closely followed in order to have a successfule edit. I usually have two backups open at the same time - one for the adding/edit and the other to use a reference for the ensuring the copy/paste is properly followed.

    Other sources of unwanted content by url or address can be found in the Internet Files in the Documents and Settings; and in the Source of the html page that is opened in the browser at that moment.
    Some ads and banners could be .css based or javascript based (.js), then these particular IP/addresses will be found in the .css and .js files which are found in the internet files folder(s).

    Occasionally iframes are used for ads - the ad's address/or IP will be seen in the source of the html.
    But iframes themselves are easily blocked by using the zones/sites in the Internet Explorer's.....under the 'Launching programs and files in an IFRAME'...... and then including the unwanted site(s) into the restricted site listing of the Internet Explorer to block these off.

    Note:
    The IE-Spyad has been updated very recently, but the large list which runs into the thousands of sites, is too bulky to be properly handled by the IE 8. The IE 8 does not perform very well with the large list - use only the IE-Spyad with the IE 6 or IE 7.

    An nice alternative instead maybe the MVPS HOSTS, as this also blocks some ads and unwanted sites.

    Oldsod.

    Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-15-2009 08:16 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  5. #5
    cooloutac Guest

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    man this was so simpler with zass hahahaha.


    yahoo.com
    .... select block adds.... boom!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?


    <blockquote><hr>CooloutAC wrote:
    man this was so simpler with zass hahahaha.


    yahoo.com
    .... select block adds.... boom!
    <hr></blockquote>


    Yes easy to use and handle, block what you never want to see entered into the computer ever again. Easy enough to block ads/banners without ad filtering in the Privacy.

    The ZA Pro firewall (sans antivirus and parental blocker of the ZAISS) also has the Privacy feature; not just the ZAISS has the Privacy.

    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  7. #7
    cooloutac Guest

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    those links wouldn't work for me am i doing something wrong?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?


    <blockquote><hr>CooloutAC wrote:
    those links wouldn't work for me am i doing something wrong?
    <hr></blockquote>

    I re-checked the links (checked prior to posting to ensure some quality control) and these links do work.
    Page loads slowly but does appears.
    The download first needs an image verification as seen in the right side of the page.

    I guess something in the ZAISS privacy is blocking the page to properly form?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

  9. #9
    cooloutac Guest

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?

    i'm tryign to open
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...file=rules.xml
    is that a link? or am i doing something wrong, i tried to right click and hit save file but that didn't work either.
    oh boy you gotta help me oldsod....

    you know whats really making me wanna slit my writsts now.... those ads or popups or w/e u wanna call them.... that cover the website u are trying to look at.... and the only way to get rid of them is to hit close or the x on them......which is happening waaaay too often right now.
    i was just browsing around the web to search windows pf usage.

    and that happened on like 3 websites.


    and i'm so afraid to click close on them... cause i don't wanna get a virus.
    i talked to tech support about,
    if FF is a standalone/Addon.... why would they get rid of the privacy settings.
    they said they were afraid it would cause conflicts with the FF..
    i mean zonealarm would def be godly if it had both privacy and FF.

    I mean i don't even think the privacy settings took up any memory or extra processes.
    oh well.
    but ya i can't figure out how to add that file to IE8..
    i appreciate all your help oldsod.

    Message Edited by CooloutAC on 04-16-2009 08:20 AM

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,056

    Default Re: does forcefield block adds?


    <blockquote><hr>CooloutAC wrote:
    i'm tryign to open
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.ph...file=rules.xml
    is that a link? or am i doing something wrong, i tried to right click and hit save file but that didn't work either.
    oh boy you gotta help me oldsod....

    you know whats really making me wanna slit my writsts now.... those ads or popups or w/e u wanna call them.... that cover the website u are trying to look at.... and the only way to get rid of them is to hit close or the x on them......which is happening waaaay too often right now.
    i was just browsing around the web to search windows pf usage.

    and that happened on like 3 websites.


    and i'm so afraid to click close on them... cause i don't wanna get a virus.
    i talked to tech support about,
    if FF is a standalone/Addon.... why would they get rid of the privacy settings.
    they said they were afraid it would cause conflicts with the FF..
    i mean zonealarm would def be godly if it had both privacy and FF.

    I mean i don't even think the privacy settings took up any memory or extra processes.
    oh well.
    but ya i can't figure out how to add that file to IE8..
    i appreciate all your help oldsod.

    Message Edited by CooloutAC on 04-16-2009 08:20 AM
    <hr></blockquote>


    Seems to work okay for me...maybe somebody can help you?
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •