Thread: Forcefield virtualises Word and results in document erasure and loss of work

tlove Guest

Default Forcefield virtualises Word and results in document erasure and loss of work

Hello,
    I've posted on this major problem before but with lack of success in resolving things with tech support. I'm posting it now as a warning to others.
    It appears that Forcefield will virtualise an instance of Word if a Word document is opened as an attachment in Web Outlook.
    From that point, anything that is saved in Word (including other documents that are opened from the file system or created new)
    are erased after being saved.
    This occurs until either a reboot occurs, or until
    all instances of Word are closed and the browser closed
    that was used to call the original instance of Word via the attachment.
    Why is this a problem?
    Because one can work all day editing documents and saving them and everything appears to be saving normally then on close of the browser and Word, everything disappears with NO record anywhere in the file system (not even temporary files)
    - except the Recent Documents list, but you cannot click through to any of the documents it lists.
    When I raise this some time ago, my last response from a tech person was 'Forcefield shouldn't work that way' when I asked whether it did work that way (this was in an exchange of three emails in which the tech person tried to avoid the issue) suddently there was no reply.
    Is Zonealarm hiding something?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm ForceField

Default Re: Forcefield virtualises Word and results in document erasure and loss of work

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>tlove wrote:
    Is Zonealarm hiding something?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!You are posting in the wrong place, ZA staff does not monitor this board. This is not a discussion forum about ZA labs nor a complaining board. We are all users here trying to help each others on ZA PRODUCT related issues.Have you tried to save the documents in the "....MyDocuments\ForceField Shared Files\" ? This way you should get the files saved correctly. You have to consider that if you decide to run word within IE8, ZA ForceField, by design, will keep any documents or executable within IE8. Once you remove the virtual data eveything will be removed. This is not a bug, its a security feature. If you want to work with WORD documents please save them in your document folder and open them in WORD and not in IE8.If you want to workwith word and IE8 without loosing your work than pleaseturn OFF the ForceField virtualization. Otherwise ForceField will not allow saving of data anywhere else than that folder (the folder is created at install, you do not have to re-create it).Please note that by posting here you have agreed to the ToU (Terms of Use) and ToS (Terms of Service) of this board. Messages against these rules will be removed. Removal is not up for discussion.Please do not hesitate to open a new thread for any user PRODUCT related issues. For anything else pleasecontact ZA support directly (link in my signature). I thank you in advance for your understanding and support.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-02-2009 01:29 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information