Thread: ISWMGR and ZAFF causing multiple problems

redwarlock Guest

Default ISWMGR and ZAFF causing multiple problems

Vista Home Premium and Zonealarm Extreme Security in use. Firefox is my chosen browser.

After I installed Zonealarm Extreme for Vista (rotten name btw) I switched to Firefox from IE. A couple weeks after that, my Firefox started malfunctioning. It would stop running but when shut down, would not be able to start back up with a message that Firefox was already running and a reboot was required! And I thought program isolation was one of the few Vista strengths. Also and more importantly, always, and I do mean ALWAYS, when I do perform the reboot, the reboot hangs until I get the message the "ISWMGR.exe and Forcefield are not allowing Vista to shut down. Do I want to continue the shutdown anyway?" Not exactly the words but close enough.

I followed the advice from NaiveMelody at

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=533

by clearing the Virtual Data. But that clears out ALL my browser settings and seems to have no impact. Not doing that again.

So I changed my Zonealarm settings back to Learning Mode. That seemed to stop the problem, until learning mode was complete and full security was re-enabled. Instant Fail, Firefox goes back to it's bad behavior.

The other suggested actions seem to have no impact.

This has gone on thru a couple of iterations of Firefox and Zonealarm. I am beginning to suspect that I just need to give up on Zonealarm or Firefox and Zonealarm is losing.

I appreciate any advice.

RedWarlock

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: ISWMGR and ZAFF causing multiple problems

Hihave you tried to reset your firefox profile? See here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=1108#M1108Always remember to shutdown forcefield before updating FF or FF add-on otherwise you will install everything in the virtual data and loose it if your data gets corrupted or deleted. This is valid also for the settings. If you want to keep specific FF settings shutdown ForceField before.Note that with a valid license you can contact the ZA technical support directly. Link in my signature.Cheers,FaxP.S. Leaning mode should not have anything to do with forcefield. You may have corrupted the ZA settings and you may need to reset them.P.S.II: ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky, Rising suite and antivirus, PC Doctor, ESET, and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.P.S.III Please see here below for a full procedure to clean your system, ZA and potential malware:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=37488#M37488

Message Edited by fax on 06-10-2009 12:27 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

redwarlock Guest

I contacted Tech Support as per your earlier response and will follow up with results from their instructions. Thank you for your time!

RedWarlock

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information