Thread: Email shown in Profile

Hybrid View

IGGY Guest

Default Email shown in Profile

Is there a way to turn off the email addressbeing shown in the public profile? Thanks for any help on this one. I didn't see anything in the help or profile setup that dealt with this. Maybe I missed it. I've had 1 user comment that unless this can be stopped from displaying they won't be using the forum. Which would be a shame.

popeye Guest

Default Re: Email shown in Profile

I checked none and my e mail address is shown, at least to me. Can anyone see my e mail address. Yours do not show anything. Help appreciated. Thanks.

marti Guest

If you checked "none" this is what others will see:

g0th52 Guest

IGGY,

I ck'd your profile and your email address did not show. I did, also, ck mine by clicking on my name at the test post that I put in this thread (it's now deleted). anyhow, it appears that if you clk on your own profile then all shows, but if others clk on your profile then your prefs kick in. might want to ck further on this huh?

IGGY Guest

Thanks for the quick replies.

But for me that's not an option I find of use as I stated here = http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...e=flat#5343299

Although yes it does take care of privacy concerns. But why should I have to publicly share my email addy just because I wanted to share some information about myself? In the profile I can choose what I want to say & not say about myself. Why is it I can't have an option to do the same with my email address? Why should I be hassled to change the address to a publicly known address? When I wish all my ZoneLabs email to goto my private account? I want to have a public profile. But without having to give up my privacy unless I choose to do so. It shouldn't be - well you can show it to your friends only or not show it. But if you choose to show it to all you have to let them see your email address. Spammers just love to lurk on sites with this type of option. I have a public profile here http://www.broadbandreports.com/profile/u/357201but as you can see my personal information shown iswhat I've chosen to share. My email address isn't public. Maybe this is just a personal opinion of mine. But I think others will feel the same way. I just don't like having an all or nothing kind of option.

marti Guest

iggy,

I agree, I don't like the "all or nothing" approach. See my comment to your comment here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...art=20#5343572

antiserious Guest

... if you choose 'friends', does this mean that anyone who adds you as a friend will see the info ? ... or anyone in your friends list ...
    ... seems safer, for now, to choose 'none' until we get some answers ... nice forum, though ...
    ... did some of y'all bring your avatars with you ? ... ...

calamityjane Guest

Hi AntiSerious!

Re: Your Question: ... if you choose 'friends', does this mean that anyone who adds you as a friend will see the info ? ... or anyone in your friends list ...

I had the same thought but tested it with another member here. It is only the names that I add to my own friends list that can see my profile.So no, I could not put your name in my list and expect to see your profile (but then, you would be able to see mine). Boy! I hope this make sense

greg Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>IGGY wrote:

Is there a way to turn off the email addressbeing shown in the public profile? Thanks for any help on this one. I didn't see anything in the help or profile setup that dealt with this. Maybe I missed it. I've had 1 user comment that unless this can be stopped from displaying they won't be using the forum. Which would be a shame.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iggy, under the "My Profile" area there is a "preferences" setting. Down towards the bottom you will see "personal privacy". If you click "none" under "profile privacy", then no one will see their details.

Greg

marti Guest

In the Preferences area:

Personal Privacy
    Profile Privacy

This setting lets you determine who can view your profile.

All
    Allow everyone to view your profile

Friends Only
    Allow only people on your friends list to view your profile

None
    Do not allow anyone to view your profile

Thread Information