Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer hacking

lightspeed Guest

Default Computer hacking

Hello guys,

I am a newbie here and wish to know something about computer hacking. Lately it seems my computer has been constantly hacked. I use zonealarm free security suite 6.5 and the firewall alerts log shows that I've been constantly attacked from my computer host ip adress 192.168.1....

My question is am I attacked by a hacker or should I ignore the warning from Zonealarm? Is this normal? Would it cause harm to my hdd?

Could anyone help me on this? Thanks very much.

lightspeed

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

flyyourway Guest

Default Re: Computer hacking

Hey Newbie,

Allot of newbies get excited when seeing all these alerts of attacks being generated from the Internet,most of these attacks have become the norm,with worms and other ITD's (Internet Transmitted Diseases)your firewall will protect you from the outside attacks,and one should not worry to much.That doesn't go to say you should be laxed with any of your other security programs,one must run AV with updated defs,Spyware program(s) with updated defs and defiantly a resident shield program like Process Guard.The attacks you are seeing are normal everyday noise and attempts on your IP address relax and enjoy surfing the Internet.

****All Spelling Checked with ieSpell

Hi and welcome to the Zone Alarm Users Forum!

Okay, you are safe!! Really it is okay.

The address of 192.168.x.x is your router or another PC or hardware onn your home network. So there is no imminent threat. Perhaps the router address or the other addresses of your LAN (home network) should be included as Trusted in the Zones of the Zone Alarm. This should eliminate the alerts.

Check out for good detailed explainations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

flyyourway Guest

Ha good catch Old-man,didn't even see it was the routers/modems ip making all that noise.

lightspeed Guest

Hi Flyyourway,

Thanks very much for the reply!! Probably I should not worry about the warning signs sent by Zonealarm alerts, or as you mentioned, those alerts might be normal noise.

However, my situation is a little bit special in this regard and I am afraid I am unfortunately a target of certain hacker. The reason is since lately I frequently participate in some online discussion group that is dedicated to a specific criminal case. Many of our participants experienced computer hackings and computer crashes. The fact is that the prime suspect of this criminal case has got friends who are computer programers and tried every dirty thing in order to deter people from discussing the case and condemning the crime done!

Actually my own computer (still sort of new)was recently crashed mysteriously and I was told the hdd had failed. Based on the time of the Zonealarm alerts I've received, my fear is that the warning signals may not be the normal noise from the Internet but real hacking attack.

Is there anyway to confirm it? Or would there be some sort of trace left if there's hacking attack?

That

Who exactly said the HDD failed on a new PC? If it failed, you probably would not be using it.

What other alerts are there? What does the ZA logs indicate for traffic? What does the router logs show as traffic?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

flyyourway Guest

Just because someone in a discussion group says he/she is a programmer doesn't mean that they are able to hack,and then even if they are experienced somewhat in hacking,it will take you and only you to allow this hacker onto your system,by clicking on a link he/she posts or by downloading program he/she asked's you to check out,or by visiting a website he/she may have created using a Windows exploit to attack you.Yes there are ways to see who is attacking you,but experience is needed in running allot of these tools to trace or lure that hacker into your trap.

It also might be possible that your Hard drive truly just failed,even being new these things can happen,and it may have nothing to do with the person on the discussion group.Some people will use social engineering to scare others into believing they are hacking them,when all it is on their end is talk and all it is on your end is paranoia.If you have a real IP address trace rout it or do a whois and report it to that ISP that this person or IP range is constantly attacking you,thus allowing that ISP to look into whats going on.

Also the IP you posted is actually your Routers or even your Modems internal IP,and these alerts might be happening because your firewall isn't properly configured as Guru Oldsod pointed out.

lightspeed Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Since my old hdd has failed, I had to get a new hdd. That's what I am using now.

When the hacker cannot destroy your HDD. misuse or dropping the PC or just several years use will destroy the HDD.
    A few whosis for looking up the ip's in the ZA logs

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

http://ws.arin.net/whois

http://www.ripe.net/whois

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lightspeed Guest

Hi guys,

Sorry I may not describe accurately. I have a strong feeling that my pc has been targeted for hacking. More than 30 people from our discussion group have reported the similar experience, such as after opening certain page in the discussion group, their computer experienced obvious slow speed, or they could not log on the discussion group and have to wait for a few minutes before they could, and then will experience the same thing, while when all these happened, they had no problem visit other websites. A note here is that people in our discussion group are from all over the world and it seems according to report, many of us have experienced the same.

There are also some people who seldom log onto the Internet and after a few times visiting the discussion forum, their computer crashed.

Linked with my own experience, it's hard to believe that all these happened accidentally. It is said that the prime suspect's friend, as a veteran computer programer, has somehow invented DHCP analysis 192.168..., and thus could hack people's computers by manipulating the computers' inner IP hosts through router from outside IP adress.

I wonder is it possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information