Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer hacking

lightspeed Guest

Default Re: Computer hacking

Hi Oldsod,

Thanks for the links. I will look at them a bit later. It'll take me a while to digest all the information you've posted up here due to my complete lack of computer knowledge.

Lately our members of the discussion forum have been trying to educate each other with computer knowledge and anti-virus software we could possibly download to prevent further losses or computer damage.

The times that I receive the warning signals from Zonealarm about the attack from 192.168...are interesting. It happened during the last week since I got a new hdd and re-installed the whole system. During the past week, there have been over 1000 warning signs reporting the attack from 192.168....about every 2 minutes there was one, and they all happened during weekdays. So far today(Saturday), I've not got one!!

Do you think it's coincidence? The few websites I've visited today have no difference from my usual online activity.

Thank you,
    Lightspeed

Hi Lightspeed

Keep in mind that the 192.168.x.x address can not be spoofed from the internet. It is a private address not an internet address.

Some respectable security sites:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Also do the ipconfig /all in the command prompt to see what the router address is and enter it into the ZA Zones as trusted. Also the PC address will be shown. On the other PC on the LAN, do the same and you can easily determine their LAN addresses. Please remember that is ipconfig (space) /all, followed by the Enter key.

Take care and have a good weekend.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lightspeed Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Thanks for providing suggestion. I try to undestand your information, however it'll take me a bit of time.

Here below are two examples of the sorts of alerts I've received from zonealarm. I am not sure whether it will indicate something meaningful, but take a look and let me know your opinion:

Rating: High
    Source ip: 192.168.0.106
    Destination ip: 192.168.0.122
    Direction: incoming
    Protocol: TCP (flags: S)
    Type: firewall

Another alert shows as follows:

Rating: medium
    Source ip: 192.168.0.130
    Destination ip: 192.168.0.1:53
    Direction: Outgoing
    Protocol: UDP
    Program: svchost.exe
    Type: firewall

Again thanks a lot for your kindness and time. Have a great weekend there.

Best,
    Lightspeed

Hi lightspeed
    Please do the following.

When performing the ipconfig /all in the comand prompt, there should be the DNS server(s) listed. Please enter these also into the Zones in the ZA firewall and list as DNS One and DNS Two respectively and list them as Trusted.

This should smooth things out with the DHCP (router) address listed into the Zones as trusted.

Please note that the port 53 (192.168.0.1:53) is a DNS port-svchost.exe is allowed to be used for a Trusted Zone Server rights in the Program List in the ZA. This is normal for the TCP/IP in Windows platforms.

Entering in the DNS servers of your provider and the router address (DHCP) into the Zones of the ZA and as Trusted will help fix things. Also the set the Trusted Zone Security Slider in the Main of the Firewall to Medium, not High.

TTYL

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

aweir Guest

That is your router. You need to place it in your trusted zone and set the trusted zone security to medium to avoid problems. This is perfectly safe unless you share computers on a lan and you don't trust any other computer on your own network.

Just add 192.168.0.0 to your firewall zone and set it to the "trusted" zone.

Message Edited by aweir on 08-28-2006 12:51 AM

aweir Guest

If you make sure you have remote administration disabled and set a good password, you should be safer.

Some things to consider:

Disable uPnP
    Disable port forewarding
    Disable port triggering
    Disable remote administration
    Set a strong password.

All of the above are almost universal security measures unless you need port forewarding/triggering/uPnP if you are hosting a game server or filesharing. AFAIK

thornkrt Guest

definately not some hacker trying to mess with your PC m8 cause if there was a hacker smart enough to figure out some way to spoof a internal network IP then he would definatly know how to write a script or know where to go get the exhisting script that can and will shut down ZA from a remote PC , ether have the person who set up the network your on help you configure your ZA to allow and ignore the other PC's on your network or disable networking on your PC if not needed to connect to the net.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information