Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Privacy: Site List and Cookie Control

leonelsc Guest

Default Privacy: Site List and Cookie Control

Can you help me please...When I visit asite that is in my "Site List", the Privacy Advisor still pops-up with the actions Zone Alarm toke!The same ocurs with the sites that are in my "Trusted Zone".IfI slide to "Low"I keep having theproblem!What amI doing wrong?Leonel

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

Default Re: Privacy: Site List and Cookie Control

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>leonelsc wrote: Can you help me please...When I visit asite that is in my "Site List", the Privacy Advisor still pops-up with the actions Zone Alarm toke!The same ocurs with the sites that are in my "Trusted Zone".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you edited the PrivacySettings for the site(s) in question, in the Site List? Unless you have edited the blocked items the Privacy Advisor is alerting you about they will continue to be blocked and the Privacy Advisor will continue to list them as blocked.If the"Trusted Zone" you are referring to is within ZAP, the particular Zone a site/IP is placed in has no effect on the Privacy settings for that site/IP. The Privacy settings are controlled globally from Privacy &gt; Main tab, and then on a per site/entry on the Privacy &gt;Site Listtab.<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>IfI slide to "Low"I keep having theproblem!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I do not understand this, what are you sliding to low?<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>What amI doing wrong?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Itwould help to know what your global Privacy settings are, Privacy &gt; Main tab. Please list for all three areas.

leonelsc Guest

What I was trying to say was that I need to visit some sites that work with Lotus Sametime for web meetings.These sites need full permissions to handle cookies and also need to have certain ports open, to permit full interaction.So I've put these sites in the Trusted Zonelist, and I slided the "Trusted Zone Security" slider to "Low" (firewall off for Trusted Sites).I've also put these sites in the Privacy Site List an I've edited all the permissions to "Yes" for each one.However the Privacy Advisor keeps informing that ZoneAlarm is blocking some cookies and I cannot run Lotus Sametime sessions!If I unload ZoneAlarm, everything seem to run OK!What can I do to correct this?Thanks,Leonel

Since you mentioned the Privacy Advisor is alerting you to blocked cookies, give the following troubleshooting method a try.
    By clicking the link Click here for details on the Privacy Advisor popup as the site loads you will be taken to the Site List tab in ZAP and the offending entry will be highlighted. (noteepending on where that site is in the list you may have to scroll the window to see the highlighted entry, or look in the Entry Detail window at the bottom of the tab to see the name of offending site) Click the Options button to customize the Privacy features for that site. Try turning off the items the Privacy Advisor lists one by one from the bottom up, then ALT+TAB back to your browser and refresh the page paying attention to what the Privacy Advisor reports. Repeat as necessary, until the web page loads/functions as expected.

tgif Guest

I am having a similar problem.

A site that requires me to log in uses cookies to track who I am.

If I set Privacy->Main->Cookie Control to off it works fine.

If I set Privacy->Main->Cookie Control to Med it breaks, even though on the site list I have cleared everything.

The Privacy adviser still flashes that it is blocking cookies and private headers, even though I have set this site to not block them.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TGIF wrote:
    I am having a similar problem.

A site that requires me to log in uses cookies to track who I am.

If I set Privacy-&gt;Main-&gt;Cookie Control to off it works fine.

If I set Privacy-&gt;Main-&gt;Cookie Control to Med it breaks, even though on the site list I have cleared everything.

The Privacy adviser still flashes that it is blocking cookies and private headers, even though I have set this site to not block them.

Thanks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TGIF, this is most likely due to the site using 3rd party cookies for the tracking and/or login, since the Medium Cookie Control setting blocks those and Private Headers. See mypost above about using the Privacy Advisor to troubleshoot and fix this.

FWIW, on MSN.com to login/out of my.msn.com you have to use passport which requires being able to set a 3rd party cookie from on of the passport URLs (I don't remember if its the .net or .com passport site) blocking this prevents login. Also to logout one must allow 3rd party cookies from one of the above passport sites.

tgif Guest

The issue is that I've enabled third party cookies, private headers, etc. for the site on the privacy settings site tab.

It seems that the site customizations for privacy (cookies and ads) are being ignored. I don't think it's ignored all of the time, since enabling private headers for another site worked, but it doesn't seem to be working for this site.

Regarding the privacy advisor - despite my having configured the site to allow everything, it still shows cookies and private headers being blocked when I go to that site.

There doesn't seem to be a log for the privacy tool, unlike the firewall and antivirus. Is there a hidden one that I could look at for details in order to try and diagnose what is going on? (A viewing the source of the page doesn't show anything coming in from another site, so I don't think that is the problem either.)

Thank you again for your assistance.

TGIF

malador Guest

RIght on. I am, with you. custom settings are being ignored completely at times. I have blocked hitbox.com for instance. I can clear my cookies open my home page and a cookie appears for hitbox.com. Yet when I turn off cookie blocking completely and use internet explorers privacy features to block hitbox.com that cookie never gets accepted. I have been tearing my hair out for two days trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am glad I took a look here to find out others are having this issue as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>TGIF wrote: The issue is that I've enabled third party cookies, private headers, etc. for the site on the privacy settings site tab. It seems that the site customizations for privacy (cookies and ads) are being ignored. I don't think it's ignored all of the time, since enabling private headers for another site worked, but it doesn't seem to be working for this site. Regarding the privacy advisor - despite my having configured the site to allow everything, it still shows cookies and private headers being blocked when I go to that site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What site are you talking about? Post the URL and I will see what I can figure out. Another thing that may be giving you problems/fits with this is not having cleared your browsers cache. You may be getting/seeing actions that are being loaded from the cache and not the web site. Clearing the cache and reloading the site will usually clear up behavior like this.<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>There doesn't seem to be a log for the privacy tool, unlike the firewall and antivirus. Is there a hidden one that I could look at for details in order to try and diagnose what is going on? (A viewing the source of the page doesn't show anything coming in from another site, so I don't think that is the problem either.) Thank you again for your assistance. TGIF <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Currently there is not a log of what is being blocked by the Privacy settings, though that would be a nice additional tool to have. I will have to think on that for a little while to decide if I will submit a feature request. There should be something in the source code that indicates what is being loaded from sites other than the one in question. I have trouble following/reading source code most of the time and have ended up missing the key line, especially if what I am looking for is loaded via a script or java applet. Don't give up, this will be figured out.

tgif Guest

The site is http://www.namirdeiter.net/
    User name: Xxxxxx
    Password: xxxx

(Edited by Disciple: removed sensitive data)

I am using Firefox 1.5 (official released version).

I have tried clearing my cache and cookies without it helping with the problem.

The weird thing is, every once in a while, generally only for a few minutes, things will work as they should. But a half hour or an hour later, and it returns to the state that I have to disable cookie control in Main to get the site to work, even though on the site tab both www.namirdeiter.net and www.namirdeiter.com have been set to filter nothing.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

(Also, please let me know when you're done testing so I can reset the password, since I'm not normally supposed to give it out.)

Message Edited by TGIF on 12-08-2005 01:56 PM

Message Edited by Disciple on 12-08-2005 02:42 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information