Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overkill

spooner Guest

Default Overkill

So Ive been trying out Zone Alarm Pro for 15 days.
    Interested in buying it but besides that, the browser capabalities have been brought down to a snails pace... little better than dial-up.
    Is it necessary to have IEs privacy features on and Googles pop-up blocker on when these features are available in Zone Alarm Pro?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

arson Guest

Default Re: Overkill

<blockquote><hr>spooner wrote:
    So Ive been trying out Zone Alarm Pro for 15 days.
    Interested in buying it but besides that, the browser capabalities have been brought down to a snails pace... little better than dial-up.
    Is it necessary to have IEs privacy features on and Googles pop-up blocker on when these features are available in Zone Alarm Pro?
    Thanks.

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

<hr></blockquote>Greetings spooner ... I hope this helps and informs ...

What a lot of users fail to realize when they purchase and install ZAPro or ZAISS
    is that the Privacy Settings (Cookies, Ads, Mobile Code Control)
    are an added feature and they assume by having them enabled constitutes and assists their Firewall ... to the contrary and simply speaking, ZA's main task is to be a Firewall ...
    controlling
    incoming and outgoing traffic, wanted or unwanted
    ... for example, ZA (Free) doesn't even have Privacy Controls, so it's main job is to be a 'you know what now' ...
    Conflicts and problems can and do arise when other applications and programs that also contain Privacy Controls, such as
    your Browser(s) like IE, Firefox, Opera, Netscape, etc, are enabled together
    ... to see if these conflicts are occuring, you can to turn OFF or Disable Cookie Control, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code Control within ZA, Clean the Cache,
    then try to see if your problem is alleviated
    ... once you see that everything is working as intended ... then you may want your Browser(s) to handle Cookies and Ads and just let ZA handle Mobile Control (which I do, but this varies depending on what I'm trying to do)
    or you can even mix and match for the desired results ...
    the features are usually not 'set it and forget it' and you sometimes must take a pro-active approach to enabling or disabling them as required
    and as needed... my point being and for example : When I'm surfing I will usuall enable ZA's Mobile Code Control to prevent drive-by downloads and this will also allow my Automatic updates
    for Programs and Apps
    to come through, but when I want to manually download a file or update, what-have-you, I will disable ZA's Mobile Code Contol, then afterwards I can always re-enable ...
    In closing : Try to use just one set of Privacy Controls or a combination where one or more particlular function will not conflict with one another
    ... and always be aware that sometimes you may have to enable or disable Privacy functions as required ...

Arson D. Dragon

shsimione Guest

Arson, I'm hoping your posting helps me as well. I've had ZoneAlarm just two weeks but have had many problems. Even with XP Firewall off, and sites added to the privacy list and to the trusted zone, I intermittently--but then repeatedly--get bumped out of my Yahoo mail or other login sites (snapfish, netflix). What's crazy is that some days it's fine and other days it won't work at all, without my making any changes to ZA.

So I've turned off cookie control in ZA and am hoping that fixes it!
    Stephanie

arson Guest

<blockquote><hr>shsimione wrote:
    Arson, I'm hoping your posting helps me as well. I've had ZoneAlarm just two weeks but have had many problems. Even with XP Firewall off, and sites added to the privacy list and to the trusted zone, I intermittently--but then repeatedly--get bumped out of my Yahoo mail or other login sites (snapfish, netflix). What's crazy is that some days it's fine and other days it won't work at all, without my making any changes to ZA.

So I've turned off cookie control in ZA and am hoping that fixes it!
    Stephanie
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi Stephanie ...

If you've decided to disable Cookie Control in ZA, just add the URL's to your Browser's Privacy Site List and adjust the Cookie settings within that and see if that is a little more consistent for you,
    this way
    you'll
    still
    have control over how your machne handles them, but most of the time when a user is utilizing the Privacy Contols in ZA and they're having
    problems with specific Sites/Pages they must also take in consideration that it may not just be
    Cookies that are affecting this, you must also take a
    look at how you have these settings set-up for Mobile Code Control (Java script, Active-X,
    embedded links,
    etc)
    and Private Headers
    also ...

All web Sites and Pages are not designed the same and
    they may also use different scripting and/or graphic formats,and quite often
    what works for one Site or Page will not work for the others, so IMHO, a lot of trial and error, refreshing, cleaning the Browser's cache
    and adjustments are usually necessary ... it would be nice if these Controls were 'Set it and Forget it' and they worked well all the time,
    but that's usually not the case
    and this is what a lot of users have to deal with sometimes from one Site to another when they use these Privacy Controls, especially when you have more then one Program or App
    handling these things

There's really no definitive answer for everyone, that's why a pro-active approach is usually needed when viewing different sites or pages, downloading from links, streaming media, etc, etc and you have to just find a tolerable middle ground sometimes... that's just the nature of these things Steph ...

Arson D. Dragon

shsimione Guest

Thanks for your reply. I can see that the settings need to be adjusted site by site, potentially. It's still odd to me, however, that one day Yahoo Mail will function fine and the next day it can't hold on to a log-in---without our making any changes in ZA settings in the meantime. It's the inconsistency that drives me most nuts.

You know, it's really frustrating that this tweaking is even necessary. My husband and I have decent tech skills and yet we've found ZA challenging to deal with. We had Norton and it was a breeze with set up--just a huge pig to run. We switched based on all the positive reviews we read and are both surprised at how non-intuitive ZA is to run. How in the world do average users navigate this product?

arson Guest

<blockquote><hr>shsimione wrote:
    .... How in the world do average users navigate this product?<hr></blockquote>

Hi shsimione ...

Easy ... it's just like navigating at night through a swamp with quicksand ... very slowly, very carefully and making sure you have a flashligt, a rope
    and a rifle :8} ...

... but in all seriosness though shsimione ...

let your Browser, whatever that may be, handle Cookies and Mobile Codes,
    turn
    these Contols off in ZA
    and then just let ZA handle Ad Blocking ... experiment and see what happens ... can't hurt to try ... remember some ZA Products don't even have Privacy Settings, like ZA(Free) ...

Arson D. Dragon

spooner Guest

I seem to like ZA for handling the cookies because you can pinpoint the exact ones you want to keep.

Can you tell me a little more about these mobile codes and provide an example for me. Do not understand this option fully. Thanks

arson Guest

I seem to like ZA for handling the cookies because you can pinpoint the exact ones you want to keep.

Can you tell me a little more about these mobile codes and provide an example for me. Do not understand this option fully. Thanks
    <hr></blockquote>

Sure spooner ...

I was going to give you my unique recipe and blend for Mobile Codes :8}, but I decided against that because I can get long winded ...
    so to make it easy on you and myself, I just slapped info together from ZA's Help Files
    here, so you wouldn't have to bounce around there too much
    ... but if your offline just go there for maybe a little more info for these things, because they have little links with
    pop-up details ...

Take Care ...

Arson D. Dragon

<hr>Mobile Code Control

Mobile code is content on a Web page that is active or executable in nature. Examples of active content include, a Java applet, ActiveX controls, and JavaScript, all of which can be used to make Web pages more interactive and dynamic.<a target="_blank"></a>

Malicious mobile code, however, can copy files, clear your a hard disk, steal passwords, or command servers. Mobile code control keeps hackers from using active content to compromise your security or damage your computer.<a target="_blank"></a>

The default setting for mobile code control is Off. When turned to On, all mobile code except JavaScript is blocked. You can customize your mobile code control settings by specifying what types of mobile code are blocked when mobile code control is set to On.

You can customize mobile code control by which types of active content to block and which to allow.<a target="_blank"></a>

To customize mobile code control
    1. <a target="_blank"></a>
    [*]Select Privacy|Main.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Mobile Code Control area, click Custom.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>

The Custom Privacy settings dialog appears.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Mobile Code Control area, specify the types of mobile code to block.<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Block JavaScript<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks JavaScript content, including that required for common uses such as Back and History links, rollover images, and opening and closing browser windows.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Block scripts (vbscript, etc.)<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks scripts that execute automatically, including those required for displaying banners, pop-up ads, and dynamic menus.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Block embedded objects (java, ActiveX)<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks objects embedded in Web pages, including sound and image files.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Block mime-type integrated objects<a target="_blank"></a>Block mime-type integrated objects Blocks objects whose MIME-type indicates that they are applications.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Note: This option also blocks legitimate executable files sent through the browser, including downloads that you may want to allow. When this occurs, you'll see the error &quot;This object has been blocked&quot; in the browser. For downloads initiated by you, it is safe to disable the Block mime-type integrated objects feature.
    <hr>Cookie Control<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

Internet cookies make it possible for e-commerce sites (like Amazon, for example) to recognize you as soon as you arrive and customize the pages you visit. However, cookies can also be used to record information about your Web browsing habits and give that information to marketers and advertisers.<a target="_blank"></a>

By default, Cookie control is disabled and all types of cookies are allowed. You can you instantly block all cookies by choosing the High cookie-control setting, which gives you full protection against all types of cookie abuse--but at the expense of the convenience that cookies make possible.<a target="_blank"></a>

If you wish, you can instantly block all cookies by choosing the high cookie-control setting, giving you full protection against all types of cookie abuse--but at the expense of the convenience that cookies make possible.<a target="_blank"></a>

You can customize cookie control by specifying which types of cookies are blocked and if cookies are allowed, when those cookies should expire.

Session cookies are stored in your browser's memory cache while you browsing a Web Site and disappear when you close your browser window. Session cookies are the safest type of cookie because of their short life span.

Persistent cookies are placed on your hard disk by Web sites you visit so that they can be retrieved by the Web site the next time you visit. While useful, they create a vulnerability by storing information about you, your computer, or your Internet use in a text file.

A third-party cookie is a type of persistent cookie that is placed on your computer, not by the Web site you are visiting, but by an advertiser or other third party. These cookies are commonly used to deliver information about your Internet activity to that third party.<a target="_blank"></a>

To block third-party cookies:
    [*]Select Privacy|Main.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Cookies area, click Custom.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the 3rd Party Cookies area, specify the cookie type(s) you want to block.<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Block 3rd party cookies<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks cookies from third-party Web sites.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Disable web bugs<a target="_blank"></a>Prevents advertisers from finding out which advertisements and Web pages you have viewed. Blocked web bugs appear as blank boxes.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Remove private header information<a target="_blank"></a>Prevents your IP address, your workstation name, login name, or other personal information from being transferred to third-party sources.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

<hr>

Ad Blocking

Ad blocking is disabled by default. You can customize ad blocking to block all ads or block only specific types of ads. In addition, you can specify what Zone Labs security software displays in place of blocked ads.

Privacy protection allows you to specify which types of ads to block or to allow.<a target="_blank"></a>

To specify which ads to block:
    [*]Select Privacy|Main.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Ad Blocking area, click Custom.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>

The Custom Privacy settings dialog appears.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Ads to Block area, select the type of ad you want to block.<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Banner/skyscraper ads<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks ads that appear in either a horizontal or vertical banner.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Pop-up/pop- under<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks ads that appear in a new browser window in front of or behind the window you are viewing.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Animated ads<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks ads that incorporate moving images.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Click OK.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

When Zone Labs security software blocks banner, skyscraper, or animated ads, it leaves a &quot;void&quot; or blank on your screen where the ad was to be displayed. Ad void control lets you specify what will be displayed in that space.<a target="_blank"></a>

To specify what appears in place of blocked ads:
    [*]Select Privacy|Main.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Ad Blocking area, click Custom.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>

The Custom Privacy settings dialog appears.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]In the Ad Void Control area, specify the method for controlling blocked ads.<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">Nothing<a target="_blank"></a>Blocks ads without any indication that the ads were to appear.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">A box with the word &quot;[AD]&quot;<a target="_blank"></a>Displays a window containing the word AD. This is the default setting.<a target="_blank"></a>[*]<div align="left">A box I can mouse over to get the ad to appear<a target="_blank"></a>Displays a window containing the ad that appears only when you activate the window using your mouse.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]<a target="_blank"></a>[*]Click OK.<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

<hr>Understanding Cache cleaner<a target="_blank"></a>

Whenever you open a file, view a Web page, or fill out an online form, copies of the Web pages you view are stored in your browser's cache, enabling pages to load more quickly. If you're working on a shared computer, these files also are available for viewing by anyone who uses that computer.<a target="_blank"></a>

Similarly, when you open a file, delete a file, or search for files on your computer, these actions leave behind an electronic trail designed to help you retrace your steps, should you need to in the future. Although useful, over time this excess clutter can affect your computer's performance and processing efficiency. And, again, if you are using a shared computer, anyone who uses that computer can find out what Web sites you have viewed.<a target="_blank"></a>

Use Zone Labs security software's Cache Cleaner to periodically rid your computer of these excess files, free up disk space, and ensure your privacy.<a target="_blank"></a>

The Privacy group of features that includes cache cleaner is available in Zone Alarm Pro and ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

spooner Guest

Are these not also on the settings for Internet options within the browser?
    ActiveX and such? Thanks

arson Guest

Are these not also on the settings for Internet options within the browser?
    ActiveX and such? Thanks
    <hr></blockquote>

That is correct ...
    you can see how your Browser(s) defines them or explains them in their own particular way ... for IE as an example, just open it and click on Help &gt; Contents and Index
    &gt; Uderstanding security and privacy features OR click on Tools &gt; Internet Options ... where you can clean your Browser or Adjust these Security and Privacy features for it ... just peruse around in there ...

My previous post just shows the way the ZA Help Files defines these items and how to adjust them, but you can also apply this information or these definitions for any of these items
    controlled or adjusted
    by your
    Browser(s) or any other 3rd party program/app that handles Cookies, Ads and Mobile Codes

Arson D. Dragon

Message Edited by ARSON on 02-26-200610:47 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information