Thread: DO NO TRUST THE PRIVACY TAB

malador Guest

Default DO NO TRUST THE PRIVACY TAB

While privacy advisor will say it is blocking cookies it does not in fact block them. Alsocustom entries in the site list are ignored as well. For instance my isp's home page hits hitbox.com. I would think the basic privacy setting of blocking third party tracking cookies would stop that but it does not so I placed a custom entry in the site list. The help says that the whole domain is blocked so I placed hitbox.com in the site list and blocked everything for that domain. I then deleted all cookies and opened my web browser and went to my isp home page and privacy manager says it is blocking cookies but when I look I do in fact recieve a hitbox cookie. I repeated this process with several places that place third party tracking cookies on my computer. everyone of them seems to ignore the privacy settings and a cookie is accepted. Then when a spyware scan runs it finds cookies from those sites and deletes them. When I turn on cookie control in IE and add hitbox to the blocked list I do not get cookies from hitbox and the same works for every tracking cookie. I am running ZASS on XP and I do not run any other security software. I am not the only one complaining of this either scan the forums there are disparate examples of cookie control and add blocking not working correctly.For now I would stick with ie's somewhat less friendly but not accurate cookie control.

Default Re: DO NO TRUST THE PRIVACY TAB

Welcome to the forum Malador.Do you have Mobile Code Control (MCC) turned on, if so what are your Default/Global settings? The reason I ask is I have experienced some sites delivering cookies via Javascript and/or java, and could not rid myself of cookies being delivered this way until I blocked the MCC responsible for delivering them.

malador Guest

Thanks for the welcomeSee that is the problem. I can certainly set my defaults on Privacy/Main so tight that nothing gets acceptedand yes the hitbox cookie is being delivered viajavascript however if I set the security that tightthen the rest of the web page does not work correctly. I should be able to specifically target the cookie from hitbox.com on Privacy/Sitelistto stop it and I cannot. If I do the equivalent configuration in ie's privacy settings I do not get a hitbox cookie from the web site in question.You can see what I am talking about by adding a hitbox.com site to your sitelist then configure that cookie so that all types are blocked including all mobile code. That should stop hitbox cookiesfrom ever being accepted. To test itload www.comcast.net. Now click on tools/internet options/settings/view files. Look for the cookies and you will see a hitbox.com cookie unless you are running some other cookie killer.

malador Guest

Iwould also like to point out that privacy advisor claims to be blocking cookies when I open the www.comcast.net page but it does not actually block any cookies. If I clear out all cookies and files before opening the page I end up with two hitbox cookies, two comcast cookies and what appears to be a webtrends cookie. If I then clear it the cookies again and turn off cookie control I get the same cookies as before. What cookies does it claim to be blocking. By the way you might have to refresh that page a couple of times. it occasionally does not deliver a hitbox cookie.

Thread Information