Thread: Latest version prevents msimn.exe from quitting upon closing Outlook Express...

stevenmh Guest

Default Latest version prevents msimn.exe from quitting upon closing Outlook Express...

... leading to multiple instances of msimn.exe running if you open/close/reopen OE. I noticed 6 instances of msimn.exe running at once. Googled around, found an MS bulletin from last year where McAfee AV caused this behavior. This led me to suspect ZA, so I turned off all email/AV/spyware/IM options, and removed it from startup and rebooted. Still kept doing it, so I completely uninstalled ZA. Removing ZA allowed OE to work properly again... shut down OE, and msimn.exe shuts down.Reinstalled ZA again, but this time during the initial setup wizard responded "no" to turning on anything related to email/spyware. msimn.exe won't shut down again. So apparently just having ZA on the hard drive screws it up, even if everything is disabled and you prevent it from running on startup.This is on a brand new laptop with factory bloated installation wiped, fresh WinXP SP2 installed.Anyone find a way to fix this behavior? I will, of course, submit ticket to ZL for them to address in next release.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

jwswitzer Guest

Default Re: Latest version prevents msimn.exe from quitting upon closing Outlook Express...

I am also having this same problem. It has manifested itself on two different computers. On one computer the email client is Outlook Express (msimn.exe) and on the second it is MS Outlook (XP). Both computer are XP Home with all MS critical (and optional) updates from the MS Update page applied. IFi uninstall ZA Securtity Suite on either/both computerseverything starts working correctly. If I reinstall ZA Security Suite the problem reoccurs immediately. It reoccurs even if ZA is not started at bootup. I have tried both 6.0.667.000 and 6.1.737.000 and have the same problem with both versions.I am working with ZA to find out what is going on, but if anyone comes up with a fix or workaround I would love to hear about it.John SwitzerCenterpoint, IN

stevenmh Guest

Default Re: Latest version prevents msimn.exe from quitting upon closing Outlook Express...

Do you have any computers with 6.x installed that DON'T have this problem?I'm not getting anywhere with tech support. They won't escalate the issue or acknowledge the problem. I keep getting canned responses like "update windows" and "check for conflicts with other programs" even though I've explained repeatedly that I've already done this.

jwswitzer Guest

I have found the solution, at least in my case. Check to see whatconnection options you have selected for Outlook Express. In my case, I had the option to use the LAN checked. When I changed the option to use the Internet Explorer default, my problem went away. Hope this helps.John SwitzerCenterpoint, IN

stevenmh Guest

Ah. I found that I was already using the IE defaultsettings. However, under the LAN settings, I checked "automatically detect settings", whereas before I had nothing checked. I still consider it a ZA bug, as it only does it with ZA running, and ZA tech support didn't ask me to make sure the box was checked. But at least it's resolved.

chuck_iv Guest

I just posted something similar, with Outlook 2003. If I dont' have the antispam running, the Outlook process is always left in the backgound and everytime I start Outlook, I end up with another copy of the process running. See my post about it in this forum.

stevenmh Guest

Bump. Ditto here. Got it resolved on my laptop with OE, but then upgraded my desktop with Outlook 2003 from 5.x to 6.x. I'm having the same problem, but the fix I used for OE isn't working. I'll posted the details in the other thread.I have a feeling this will be the last year for ZA for me. My interaction with tech support was not a pleasant one. All I could get were canned responses. They won't admit there's a problem or bump the issue up the line to someone who could actually attempt to resolve it. There's no way I will renew my subscription if this issue isn't fixed by then.

Thread Information