Thread: Denying Internet Access

electrojim Guest

Default Denying Internet Access

I have a program called NetStat Live, which indicates Inernet communication activity bothinbound and outbound. Certain programs demand Internet access; Windows Media Player is one of these. I suppose this is to confirm the status of music licenses, etc.If Zone Alarm is set to deny access to one of these programs, it appears to do so. The program can be started and run, and no Internet activity is shown. However, if Zone Alarm is set to "ask" for Internet access permission, and yet permission is denied, Internet activity is shown. Does this mean that Zone Alarm is passing info from programs to their home sites against the user's wishes?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.0

billc Guest

Default Re: Denying Internet Access

No. What you are seeing I believe is that the program request is being sent through your loop back address which will show as 'activity' on your ZA icon although the flow of data is from and back to your computer never getting out to the internet. Make sense I hope?

electrojim Guest

Thanks, Bill,

electrojim Guest

Thanks, Bill, I hope that's it, although the acitvity I am monitoring is actually what is going back and forth between my computer and my wireless router. It would sure be nice to have some sort of monitoring program that would keep track of what's actually sent to the Internet, maybe as a text file, to look at later.Jim

billc Guest

You might find a "packet snifter" a handy utility. Here is a link to a freeware program called PlasticSniffer that I've tried before. Try downloading and playing around with it. One thing I found right off is that my machine is very, very chatty....it must be a she

Edit Actually, I've used this packet sniffer </color>

Message Edited by BillCherryAtl on 01-02-2006 11:58 AM

Thread Information