Thread: Outlook and Outlook Express problems

tonyhaug Guest

Default Outlook and Outlook Express problems

I have a new computer and have ZoneLabs version 5.1.556.168 installed on the machine (Windows XP Professional). It was installed at my work facility but I brought the machine homw as I'm a teleworker. It also had Outlook and Outlook Express installed before I brought it home. When I got home I reconfigured both Outlook and Outlook Express to connect to my Comcast mail server, but I keep getting error messages and cannot connect to the mail server. The error message is:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

How do I reconfigure ZoneLabs to correct this problem??

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.1

billc Guest

Default Re: Outlook and Outlook Express problems

When you make the kind of change you've made, I'd reset the ZA database to get a fresh start with fresh permissions there at your home. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

tonyhaug Guest

Bill, your suggestion did not work. I and my MITRE help desk are at a loss as to a fix for this problem. If I turn Zone alarm off, all of my email works just fine. But the minute I turn Zone Alarm back on, email doesn't work!! We even tried adding the comcast mail incoming and outgoing mail servers to the trusted list to no avail. Any further suggestions ANYONE?

ezzie Guest

Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    I was getting the same error message and also unable to pick up my mail. If you have an up to date Symantec Norton it includes a file called CCAP.exe probably in C:\program files\common files directory. If your Zone Alarm is blocking this that may be the problem. I have allowed this file in Zone Alarm and the mail started working again.

jelfun Guest

Well done Ezzie!!!! I've been fighting this one all day (and my IT guy, my 16 yr old son). My "CCAPP" was in C:Program Files/Common Files/Symantec Shared/ccApp.exe . I don't know how you knew this but it fixed my problem. Thanks again. jl

tonyhaug Guest

I found the file but every time I triy to add the .exe file to zonealarm, it won't add it to the list? I totally at a loss as to how to add this program.

wi_dan Guest

This worked for me too.
    I just stumbled onto this solution and am I ever thankful I did.
    Thanks!

stranex Guest

I'm in the same situation. Zone Alarm is definitely the issue. In the most serious case it disn't effect Outlook Express, so you may have a work around. But Outlook is to important an app to have this problem. There appears to be a link to the Junk Mail program, but disabling or even running a clean install doesn't appear to help, at least not for long.

One thought if you used to have a Symantec program is to use their removal tools on the web. Still didn't help me, but for those who may have switched, it may help and surely can't hurt.

Thread Information