Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2003 is shutdown...

chuck_iv Guest

Default OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2003 is shutdown...

This happens ONLY if I check my mail and only IF I have the antispam portion of ZASS turned off. It does not occur if I open/close Outlook 2003 without checking my email or if I have antispam turned on. Also, this does not occur if ZASS is completely uninstalled. When this does occur, and it leaves itself in the task list, I can end up with many outlook.exe's in my task list, each chewing up the same amount of memory. The only way to remove them is to "end process" on them in the task list. From what I can tell, there is something wrong with the antispam portion of ZASS in that when it is turned off, something still is hooked into Outlook and not closing properly when Outlook is closed. Has anyone else seen this? I never noticed it in the past, with previous versions, but I hadn't been running ZASS for a while and just recently went back to it and the latest version.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

eddie209 Guest

Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2003 is shutdown...

I have the exact same behaviour, and have had for as long as I have used ZoneAlarm. I have not found a 100% solution, so if you find any please report back.

Software Version:6.1.737.000

dotcom_computer Guest

I have the same behaviour with Outlook 2000. I suspect this is by Microsoft design, as it allows faster restarts of Outlook.

chuck_iv Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Dotcom_Computer wrote:
    I have the same behaviour with Outlook 2000. I suspect this is by Microsoft design, as it allows faster restarts of Outlook.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    No, it's no by design because when restarting Outlook, it doesn't use it's previous instance, that is still running, it starts up a whole new instance of Outlook. So if you open Outlook and check your mail then close it 10 times, you will end up with 10 separate instances of Outlook running, at the same time.

stevenmh Guest

This isa problem with 6.x. I was running 5.x on both my laptop and desktop without problems, then 6.x screwed up both machines.I run Outlook Express on the laptop. I started a thread a couple weeks ago about multiple instances of msimn.exe that would only go away with a complete uninstallation of ZA 6.x. Thanks to input from others, I was able to resolve the problem by setting OE to use IE connection settings and making sure the IE LAN settings was "automatically detect settings."Once I was able to fix the OE problem on my laptop, I decided to update my desktop, which runs Outlook 2003. Ended up with the same problem. I set my accounts to use the IE connection settings and made sure LAN setting was at auto detect. After testing it seemed OK, but a couple days later I had about 10 instances of Outlook.exe running.Emailing ZoneLabs tech support has been a waste of time. All I get are canned responses that have nothing to do with the problem. I don't think the people writing the code even get to hear about the problems,the people on the front lines are too inept to pass the information on for resolution. It reminds me of an IT guy where I used to work, no matter what the problem was, his response was "defrag your hard drive"...EDIT: Turned on the junk mail filtering on my desktop, and now Outlook.exe closes down. Thanks for that tip, Chuck_IV, I had turned all that stuff off to try and troubleshoot the problem.

Message Edited by stevenmh on 01-14-2006 08:20 AM

Message Edited by stevenmh on 01-14-2006 08:21 AM

lightman Guest

Yes, and I believe the various instances of Outlook may interfere with each other. I've been receiving reports of hangs using ZoneAlarm's junk email filtering on both Windows2000 Pro and WindowsXP Pro using various versions of Outlook. I've temporarily turned off the junk email filtering across the board to eliminate the hangs, but need to find a resolution.

Question for the group, are you using POP or IMAP? We are using IMAP.

denverdude Guest

I have experienced this same erroneous behavior on 2 of 4 family computers that I provide technical support for. The 2 afflicted computers exhibit the exact same symptoms that you describe.I've been trying todetermine what's different about the 2 (of 4) computers. Unfortunately, I haven't uncovered anything yet. The 2 unaffected computers work just fine, whether the MailFrontier anti-spam functionality of Zone Alarm is enabled or not.I agree with you that there is probably some API hook that is still being invoked even when the 'Junk E-mail Filter' is disabled. I'm trying to focus on why this defect is not consistent across all computers running the exact same build of Zone Alarm. So I am currentlyinvestigating the possibility ofcorrupt registry settings or corrupt configuration file settings (related to Outlook). As we all know though,configuration settings--especially those related to add-ins for Microsoft products--are typicallystrewn all over the place, causing a lot of diagnostic frustration! X-(

denverdude Guest

From our consumer perspective, I knowthe following isonly an excuse and not a reason, but...I doubt that the developers at Zone Labs can do diddly-squat about this problem. Zone Labs has effectively outsourced its anti-spam functionality to MailFrontier. Zone Labs has simply integrated a third-party product into its own product. Ultimately, the support for this issue will come from MailFrontier (either directly or behind-the-scenes). With this in mind, I went toMailFrontier's public website looking for a potential answer. Unfortuantely, MailFrontier has an even more limited knowledgebase than you-know-who.

zaswing Guest

When I was using ZAsecurity suite v5, I used a fix for Outlook's bug and/or possibly interference of addinmon with that mailfronteer thingie. The patch from this website was fabulous, you could actually watch it munch up every instance or the errant Outlook. I've had as many as 99 once with utilization running up to 90%http://www.daveswebsite.com/software...wn/index.shtmlI haven't ran it with ZASS v6, just so you know.The multiplying Outlook was mainly an issue on files sent by right-click &gt; send toAnd it also was a problem when replying to something on the internet, but cancelling out of the reply. I can't recall exact details.I haven't seen this issue with v6, so I uninstalled the fix (but still have it if needed). My impression is v6 is ok here, but clearly, this thread and another one I saw indicates otherwise.

eddie209 Guest

I have tried the 'Shutdown Addin' linked in an above post.If you set the "Maximum time to wait for Outlook..."to, say 20 seconds, nothing happens. The outlook.exe process is still there 20 seconds after I shut down Outlook. Actually the outlook.exe process neverdies, just as when the addin is not used.The addin only "works" when you set the "Maximum time to wait for Outlook..." to zero, meaning it will kill the process when you shut down Outlook. This is not a good behaviour as Outlook may need some time to do what it does when shutting down. Moving for example an email from one folder to another in Outlook,shutting down Outlook, then restarting Outlook and the email is back in its original folder.In short, the 'Shutdown Addin' is not the solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information