Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2003 is shutdown...

jvp Guest

Default OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2002 is shutdown too...

<DIV align=left>The same problem exists frequently when closing Outlook 2002 on Windows XP Pro (this is an intermittent problem). Has anyone found a solution?

denverdude Guest

Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2002 is shutdown too...

Zone Labs (i.e., MailFrontier) has not fixed this defect yet.By the way, this problem is not limited to any specific version of Outlook. The problem is related to the ZoneAlarm (MailFrontier) COM add-in for Outlook, which is necessary for the anti-spam functionality.Based onmy research, the problem occurs when anOutlook add-in doesn't properly call the necessary"release" methods, and thus Outlook won't completely shut itself down. Outlook does properly shut down its interface (i.e.,presentation layer), but it won't shut down its server layer (or "service layer")because Outlook still thinks its services are being utilized by the add-in.Here's a Microsoft article related to the problem... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294867/en-usHere's an independent website that discusses the problem in more detail... http://www.slipstick.com/problems/close.htmWorkaround:The only workaround so far is to leave the"Junk E-mail Filter" enabled.I still haven't figured out why my particular computer doesn't exhibit this problem. I have the Junk E-mail Filter disabled, and my Outlook closes just fine, every time. However, two other computers that I supportexhibit this annoying problem when their Junk E-mail Filters are disabled. A fourth computer that I support behaves like my own computer--it doesn't exhibit the problem. My score is currently a tie at 2-2!

denverdude Guest

Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE remains in task list after Outlook 2003 is shutdown...

All "my" users are utilizing POP3 to access their e-mailboxes. I tried temporarily switching one of the afflicted computers to IMAP, but the problem persisted.

visithink Guest

The solution unfortunately is very simple, but ZoneLabs refuses to add the fix with each new release.There is a third party utility provided with MailFrontier (the anti-spamproviderfor ZoneAlarm)It can be found at: http://www.microeye.com/resources/res_addinmon.aspThere is an old version still being distributed with ZoneAlarm that does not function properly anymore and should be replaced with the newest version from the MicroEye site that created the utility in the first place.All you have to do is simply replace the AddInMon.exe that currently exists in your .\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\ directory with the updated MicroEye version.It is free of charge and the fix (version 1.0.0.2106) has been available since 12/21/04.

denverdude Guest

Default Re: Is AddInMon.exe even being invoked?

You're correct VisiThink...this third-party utility by Micro Eye is included during a ZoneAlarm installation, and sure enough, the executable is an older version. With a fresh installation of ZoneAlarm Internet Security 6.5.722.000, which is the most recent at the time of this writing, the version of AddInMon.exe written to the MailFrontier subdirectory is 1.00.2092 (as you stated, the most current version of AddInMon is 1.00.2106).However, something that I think I'm observingleaves me scratching my head. Whether or not the AddInMon executable exists in that subdirectory,it doesn't seem as though it's actually beingused or invoked...When I enable the ZoneAlarm anti-spam functionality, which incorporates the "MailBuddy" COM add-inwith Outlook, I never see "AddInMon.exe" listed in the Task Manager. I double-checked this by using Sysinternals Process Explorer, which allows one to see much more detailed process information.Iperformed a "strings"across the entire ZoneAlarm directory to see if any object contained a reference to this external executable, and the following are the only objects that refer to AddInMon:ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\mlfoshim.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otmfdeu.dllZoneAl arm\MailFrontier\resources\otmfenu.dllZoneAlarm\Ma ilFrontier\resources\otmfesp.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otmffra.dllZoneAl arm\MailFrontier\resources\otmfita.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otmfjpn.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otzadeu.dllZoneAl arm\MailFrontier\resources\otzaenu.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otzaesp.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otzafra.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otzaita.dll
    ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier\resources\otzajpn.dll
    This is as far as my researchhas gotten me. At this point, I don't thinkAddInMon.exe isbeing used by the MailFrontier code.I would be willing to bet that this one "fell through the cracks" as far as commercial release management is concerned. I definitely could be wrong, so I still plan on deploying the updated AddInMon.exe to all the computers that I support and see what happens.

denverdude Guest

Default Re: Is AddInMon.exe even being invoked?

I just performed a test by completely removing AddInMon.exe. If this object is actually invoked by the MailFrontier code, I would expect an error as Outlook starts up.

No error seems to occur.

dlcaron Guest

I too have had this problem with Outlook 2003 and Vista SP1 and SP0. I had a Spam program called SpamBayes installed all the while too and read where Spam programs using the COM interface might cause this. I uninstalled SpamBayes and the problem went away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information