Thread: Zone Alarm and Mozilla - Does the email scanner work?

wobbler Guest

Default Zone Alarm and Mozilla - Does the email scanner work?

Zone Alarm and Mozilla - Does the email scanner work?

I have read the docs and can only see references to Outlook and Outlook Express. I have set the button to "on" but see no signs that my email is being checked for virus stuff or spyware.

I only have 9 days left to try this full version. If it doesn't perform as I need, then I need to know before I spend $69.00 or so.

Would appreciate some help and information with this.

Thanks

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.1.737.000

Message Edited by Wobbler on 02-08-200606:09 PM

cyberian75 Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm and Mozilla - Does the email scanner work?

I'm using Thunderbird 1.5 with ZASS 6.1.737.000, and it caught 2 e-mails containing a virus just fine. So yes, it does work. ZA monitors POP3 and SMTP, and it also scans on access as any other anti-virus software does.

If you've a pro license, I believe you can upgrade to ZASS for $24.95 or $29.95. Do a search.

Message Edited by cyberian75 on 02-08-200607:50 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

wobbler Guest

> I'm using Thunderbird 1.5 with ZASS 6.1.737.000, and it caught 2 e-mails containing a virus just fine. So yes, it does work.
    > ZA monitors POP3 and SMTP, and it also scans on access as any other anti-virus software does.
    >
    > If you've a pro license, I believe you can upgrade to ZASS for $24.95 or $29.95. Do a search.

Thanks for the response. If I were to spend some $69.00 for this product, why would I spend another $29.95 to "upgrade?" I don't get it. I should be able to see the thing work completely before I even spend the $69.00!

As I said, I only have 9 day... in 10 minutes, only 8 days left. I need to make a decision, and I need some help. I'll check again tomorrow and the days after.

cyberian75 Guest

I said IF you've a pro license.

I don't understand what you need help on.

Just wanted to make sure you understand that Mozilla Thunderbird has it's own mail filter and that Zonealarm does not incorporate itself into Thunderbird the way that it does with Outlook or Outlook Express. Just didn't want you to buy with any misunderstandings. Yes, Mozilla product works fine while running ZASS but they don't interact with each other.

wobbler Guest

I used to use Norton's. When I worte email within Mozilla - it was scanned before being sent.
    As I received email, it was scanned before my opening it. I saw the process taking place.

With Zonealarm Security Suite, I can't see that emails have been scanned - either on entry or exit. When I read the section on Email protection, the documentation only mentions outlook and outlook express.

So, I want to know - does ZoneAlarm Security Suite actually protect me while using Mozliia 1.7.1

Thanks - only 7 days left in the trial.

cyberian75 Guest

I'll quote myself, "...and it caught 2 e-mails containing a virus just fine. So yes, it does work. ZA monitors POP3 and SMTP, and it also scans on access..."

Cyberian75 is correct in telling you that ZASS will scan your email attachments for viruses . What it won't do is filter your Thunderbird mail for spam or fraudulent mail. This should not be of too much of a concern to you because Mozilla Thunderbird has it's own spam filter, although I personally feel the Zass spam filter is better.

unhappy_viewer Guest

What you have been told by Cyberian and Wobbler are correct. The antivirus component in ZA scans any email going through the standard ports for email: 110 for incoming and 25 for outgoing. As long as your email clients are set to use those ports, all emails will be scanned silently. The scanner does not notify you about the scanning because it does not use a plugin system for Mozilla products like it does for Outlook.

ZASS's email spam filter does not work with Thunderbird too because THunderbird does not support Outlook's plugin system.

wobbler Guest

Thanks for your responses folks.

I went ahead and bought the product. I miss watching the "scanning process" I used to get with Norton's. It just made me feel better - kind of like a GAS GUAGE makes you feel better in the desert when it tells you there's still 3/4 of a tank left. Without a GAS GUAGE, you are reduced to hope and prayer. Not bacd in themselves, but not really really welcome in the DESERT!!

cheers,

Thread Information