Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .zmc attachment

derek_p Guest

Default .zmc attachment

I have received an e-mail with an attachment ending with .zmc which the privacy screen intercepted. Since this attachment is not one listed as an extension in the e-mail protection table, I am baffled.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

arson Guest

Default Re: .zmc attachment

Hi Derek_P

This .zmc extension should be a ZoneAlarm MailSafe Extension exclusively used by ZoneAlarm ... now why it's added as an attachment to an Email is curious ... but here's a few of my thoughts and facts
    on this matter
    and here is also another related post on this subject that this user is getting for some video clip attachments ....

click > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b....id=9033#M9033

The reason it was maybe flagged is that, as you probably know or probably don't know, some malicious programs or nefarious entities try to spoof or counterfeit known file extensions to trick or dupe users into using them, whether opening them or running them, hoping that you think they are legitimate ... now why is this particular file extension being flagged when it's not listed in ZA's Email Quarantine Table when it should only be an internal extension used within ZA, is beyond me right now, but I am doing some homework on this or maybe there's a glitch within the mailsafe function in ZA ... it's either these or some other reason or it could be someone or something trying to contact you by Email for that extremely delicious egg salad recipe of yours ... but in all seriousness, I choose to ere on the side of caution and I would delete this particular Email and see if it happens again at a latter date ... ZA Mailsafe will also change or rename a file extension and leave it attached to the Email and this is how its quarantined without actually putting it into a folder or particular quarantine area, but like you've mentioned in your post, I also don't see it listed in ZA's Mailsafe Table or the even of the table of extensions that are renamed .... Here's a more thorough explanation of ZA Mailsafe function and a list of files that ZA renames ...

click > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=Privacy&message.id=504#M504

I also
    looked on-line for more info
    on this .ZMC extension and the only thing I could come up with along
    with some of the above information was a few things, but not much, but I'm still looking
    ... also, here's a very good site that explains and defines numerous file extensions and some don't have enough details or information with them for my tastes, but at least it puts you in the ballpark for them...

Click > http://filext.com/alphalist.php?extstart=%5EZ

I hope this explains and helps a lil'bit, but keep us posted if you come across some more information and I'll do the same ....

Arson D. Dragon

P.S. ... after the writing of this Post,
    there was additional info provided later in
    these posts dated 2/2 and 2/3 by hayns and cycomp
    that I like for any other members who are interested ...

click > http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=6101

Message Edited by ARSON on 03-27-200605:17 PM

cycomp Guest

I also noticed on receiving email with an attachment the extension was renamed ZMA ... however, I tried to locate the file I was not able to.. The help, stated that I could browse the email and open it with notepad.. BUT,, I cannot locate the file,, No folder named Quranteen.. I searched thoughout the system for the extension of ZMA and also the File Name and File Name Plus the extension, but to no avail the file could not be found... I can open the email and it shows that an attachment is present, however, the attachement name and save attachements are greyed out to a non function mode... What, or how, or where do I go from here to get the file??????Thank youCyComp

arson Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cycomp wrote:
    I also noticed on receiving email with an attachment the extension was renamed ZMA ... however, I tried to locate the file I was not able to.. The help, stated that I could browse the email and open it with notepad.. BUT,, I cannot locate the file,, No folder named Quranteen.. I searched thoughout the system for the extension of ZMA and also the File Name and File Name Plus the extension, but to no avail the file could not be found... I can open the email and it shows that an attachment is present, however, the attachement name and save attachements are greyed out to a non function mode... What, or how, or where do I go from here to get the file??????Thank youCyComp
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi cycomp ...Did you read my first reply to Derek_P ... and did you click on the linkat the bottom of that post and go to that FileExtension web site ?As per that web site, .ZMA is a ZA Mail Safe extension and that's all I know for the moment, now is it safe or has it been counterfeited or spoofedto be malicious, I don't know that either... also,there is no folder or quarantine area, the Attachmentis still on the Email ... your problem is why is it greyed out and why you can't open it with notepad andeven though I'm not experiencing this situation myself, I'm still trying to investigate this out of my own curiosity...This ZMA extenstion is alsonot listed in ZA's extenstion list and why does it show up on Emails for some isup for speculation... so your puzzlement is just as genuine as mine ...The only thing I can suggest is leave it 'as is'for now (or if your leary, delete it ) andthen contact ZoneLabs Tech Support by clicking on this link below and see what they have to say about this ... because this is a user Forumwith little or no support from ZoneLab Staff or Employees and this Forum is largely composed of members like youand Iand someof us volunteerour time to tryto assist others ...click &gt; https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp

... again,try to contact them and I'll do the sameand hopefully they'll have a good explanation for this issue ....in the mean timeand hopefully another member or a Guru may pop-up with a little more information to share or add to this thread, which I hope they do and if I find out any more on this I will definitely Post back and include what I've learned ...

Take care cycomp and good luck ...

Arson D. Dragon

cycomp Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ARSON wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi cycomp ...Did you read my first reply to Derek_P ... and did you click on the linkat the bottom of that post and go to that FileExtension web site ?<HR>No but I will as soon as I finish this reply post.. DUH !<HR>As per that web site, .ZMA is a ZA Mail Safe extension and that's all I know for the moment, now is it safe or has it been counterfeited or spoofedto be malicious, I don't know that either... also,there is no folder or quarantine area, the Attachmentis still on the Email ... your problem is why is it greyed out and why you can't open it with notepad andeven though I'm not experiencing this situation myself, I'm still trying to investigate this out of my own curiosity...This ZMA extenstion is alsonot listed in ZA's extenstion list and why does it show up on Emails for some isup for speculation... so your puzzlement is just as genuine as mine ...<HR>I just found that email attachment protection is accomplished by renaming the ext to the ZA Safe Extension, ZMx, where as the x is an appendage for the number of attachments, like A being the first, B being the second...etc, and my understanding is that appendage is done on each email starting over with the next email with attachments.<HR>The only thing I can suggest is leave it 'as is'for now (or if your leary, delete it ) andthen contact ZoneLabs Tech Support by clicking on this link below and see what they have to say about this ... because this is a user Forumwith little or no support from ZoneLab Staff or Employees and this Forum is largely composed of members like youand Iand someof us volunteerour time to tryto assist others ...<HR>I do know that the file I have received attached to the email is safe, so I have no concern there. Tis interesting you say that little or no support is provided by ZA.. I can understand that, however, I would think, as a monitor ( when checking for abrusive chat or conversation ) would see an apparent issue which is not clearly or not defined, would bring that to someone who perhaps has the answer, and at least provide that answer in FAQ, as opposed to continually responded to the questions... that is time consuming and is not dollar productive. <HR>click &gt; https://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp<HR>Thank you for the hot link.<HR>I am sure that this issue will be resolved, and if I hear anything concerning this issue I also will post my findings.Have a great day... and to all.....you have one too.CyComp
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>PS : Just as a follow up on this issue, for some unkown reason, after I had rebooted, I was able to actually get to the *.ZMA file as attached to the email and work with it. This was indicated by the information given.However, I noticed that I had in the Email/attachment control for extensions to either quarantine or not, that *.zma was present... I then, removed that item, closed ZA and rebooted, and no apparent change was made to keep me from working with the emailattachment.. Weird...

Message Edited by cycomp on 01-16-2006 09:27 PM

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro

Message Edited by cycomp on 01-16-2006 09:30 PM

david_j Guest

I am getting a lot of e-mails with the .zmc extension (using ZoneAlarm Pro) and some of them are only text messages, no attachment. I know they are text messages because others have sent me the same message, but it did not have it's extension changed. Most of the e-mails with the changed extension are coming from one person, I believe they all came from him but I'm not certain because I have deleted most of them. Anyone know why the same message/attachment from one person would have the extension changed to .zmc, and the same message/attachment from another person wouldn't have the extension changed?

arson Guest

Wutup cycomp ...I sent an Email to ZoneLabs Technical Supporton these unknown file extensions showing upas attachmentsand renamed by ZA's Mail Safe ... there are several besides the ones in question and they're also not in ZA's extension list ... this is their reply verbatim, word for word ...<HR>Hello xxxxxxThank you for contacting Zone Labs Technical Support.I understand that you want to know more about the extensions ZMA and
    ZMC. The most I can tell you about the files is that they are used for
    ZoneAlarm MailSafe. Unfortunately, that is all I can tell the files
    themselves as there is no other information available for these files. It is
    possible that another company is using the file extension as well but for
    what program I can not tell you.If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like further
    assistance on this issue, please reply to this email. By replying, and
    leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me. If
    you have a separate issue you would like assistance with, please submit a
    new request using the website at http://www.zonelabs.com/tsform.Thank you for choosing Zone Labs Security!Troy
    Technical Support<HR>Geethat wasa helpful and informative reply ... I could have gotten more information out of reading the droppings my cat leaves in her Kitty litter ...

cycomp Guest

Arson:I don't believe that anyone would have the nerve to send that response as a reply to your questions... In as much, as you, have received it directly, I would copy and paste or forward that to Zone Alarm Customer Service, And Tech support, and any other within the ZA Community, stating to explain the answer as it is confusing and/or that the responder, as a representive of Zone Alarm doesn't want to commit to allowing others to know that one does not know the answer, nor does not understand the question... It could be the later, as ZA may have outsourced the help desk functions... I, as of this writing, have not received a reply.have a great dayCyComp

arson Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>cycomp wrote:
    Arson:I don't believe that anyone would have the nerve to send that response as a reply to your questions... In as much, as you, have received it directly, I would copy and paste or forward that to Zone Alarm Customer Service, And Tech support, and any other within the ZA Community, stating to explain the answer as it is confusing and/or that the responder, as a representive of Zone Alarm doesn't want to commit to allowing others to know that one does not know the answer, nor does not understand the question... It could be the later, as ZA may have outsourced the help desk functions... I, as of this writing, have not received a reply.have a great dayCyComp
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with you cycomp ... hey, it's hard to find good helpthese days ...

The thing is, not only did Imakethe email to themwell worded and concise, I also insertedone ortwo linesof excerpts from a few ofour posts to emphasize the need for more information and clarification on this issue, butall I got was that drivel ...

As you well know,somedealings with a companiesTech Support personell and/or Customer Service reps are not that positive,but there are those occasions wheretheir assistance or help has been excellent andwas greatly appreciated,but unfortunately, as this email attests to, this is not one of those occasions ...

Since coming to this Forum ( which basically has little or no help form ZL staff or Moderators, such as some other Forums may have ),I've learned alot about my own computersand others computers just byasking questions,reading posts by other members,such as yourself and by helping as best as I can .... that's why I appreciate the interactionsbetween us members,not only for issues with ZA, but for other issues as well... we try to help each otherand that's always a good thing...

Take care and best regards cycomp...oh btw, I would like to see the reply you get, because these things can be just like waiting to open a Fortune Cookie and seeing what the lil'message has to say ...

Arson B. Dragon

hayns Guest

I am using Outlook Express and I found that if I get the property details then message source, the entire email is displayed. I had an email that was forwarded 5 times with the last one showing an attachment which looked like fw_lessonsonlife.zmc. further investigation showed that it really was only text (no pictures or executibles). I notice that this type of behavior comes in when the email is from users that are on AOL. Most of them, just forward emails so that you have to opennumerous emails just to get to the heart. ZoneAlarm may be treating this as a suspect email cause it had so many forwards and addressees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information