Thread: Privacy: Site List - sites appearing as edited

mariko57 Guest

Default Privacy: Site List - sites appearing as edited

Hello,

I checked my Site List (under Privacy) today and there were several sites that had the "Edited" column checked but for which I did not add these sites: for instance, one was E-bay, with the green check marks across the board. I never use, nor visit E-bay and I certainly wouldn't add this site. Some other sites that I never visit but were listed as "Edited" included hotmail.com and msn.com. Is Zonelabs automatically adding these sites for some mysterious reason?

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

justdontknow Guest

Default Re: Privacy: Site List - sites appearing as edited

i see the same thing ,i`d like to know about this too.

There are some sites that are pre-loaded when you install ZAP. It appearsmost are considered to be sites an "average" user will visit, along with the Zone Labs / Checkpoint sites.

HTH, take care.

jarvis Guest

Hmm, the sceptic in me says different...

Zonelabs openly have a "partnership" with E-bay. Even the Free version of ZA which lacks the privacy feature, still has a feature where you can enter your E-bay password. This allows ZA to warn you if you're about to submit that password to a fake E-bay site.

One condition of this partnership might have been that Zonelabs pre-configure their product to allow E-bay to place tracking 3rd party cookies without any user-configuration.

Ditto for MSN and Hotmail - "we'll list you as a recommended firewall provider on our site, if you allow our 3rd party cookies through the firewall by default"???

Personally I don't give a hoot about cookies anymore, I just allow all of them and have Opera wipe them all on exit.

DISCLAIMER: I am not Zone Labs and my views are mine alone.

chuckz Guest

About a week ago I downloaded the latest suite/firewall update (not to be confused with the normal virus and/or spyware updates) and saw where my previously chosen privacy settings were suddenly changed. Today I downloaded the latest update and it did the same thing. I "disallow" ALL of the site settings in privacy for a reason. If I happen to go back into a particular site and it won't load properly, I then go back to the privacy settings and adjust accordingly.

The sites that are changed "automatically" by ZAappear to be:Checkpoint.com, Ebay.com, Ebay.doubleclick.com, Ebaystatic.com, Hotmail.com, MSN.com, Netscape.com, Nohold.net and Passport.net. I have no known need for any of these sites, thus I have "disallowed" them with the appropriate settings. Why does ZA insist on changing them back, apparently, with each and every download of their suite/firewall updates. Who are they to change my previously established settings? If one the "guru's" could tell me how to keep these unauthorized and unappreciated changes by ZA from happening each time I download the updates, I would greatly appreciate it.

If this persists, I'll have to think long and hard when it comes time to renewing my subscription with ZA. I like the product, but things like this are unacceptable as a consumer.

Thanx,

ChuckZ

mariko57 Guest

I agree. I resent ZAP making some decisions for me.

forum_moderator Guest

Those sites are used by the vast majority of ZA users, so to minimize problems for those users, they are preset. No one paid anyone anything to be on that list. It was designed to HELP the most users.

That said, you should feel free to disable any or all of those settings. if updating selecting Update instead of Clean Install resets those, then that is a bug, that needs to be reported to tech Support.

Marcus

forum_moderator Guest

If you resent it, then don't use the product! get a refund and go buy something else.

Marcus

chuckz Guest

For all of my updates in ZA I always choose the one that does NOT reset my settings because I have them disabled for a reason. However, even if I did happen to erroneously choose the reset, wouldn't all of mysettings for the the other websites in the privacy area reset? They don't...just those that I mentioned in my first message. I might understand ZA establishing the settings for the first time someone loads the software, but settings once established by the user should not be changed by ZA...agreed?

So it looks like there may be a bug. How will ZA be notified of this? Will you or someone else have to do it?

Thanx,

ChuckZ

forum_moderator Guest

That part sounds like a possible bug. You should contact tech support, with exact steps, and exactly what you see. if they can reproduce it, they can escalate it to be bugged.

Marcus

Message Edited by Forum-Moderator on 06-27-2006 10:21 AM

Thread Information