Thread: ZA Pro 6.1 latest build and Kaspersky 6 latest update..

Hybrid View

bimbobo Guest

Default ZA Pro 6.1 latest build and Kaspersky 6 latest update..

Hi,some weeks ago I reported that there is an issue between ZApro 6.1 and the new Kaspersky AV 6.0.The privacy settings in ZAP do not work anymore and the same about the popups control.Cookie control and popup settings in ZAP are bypassed as they were not enabled.
    I installed both programs several times, but the problem is still there.
    Using KAV 5 and ZAP 6.1 is OK, and no issue there.
    I received a mail from ZAP staff 2 months ago, but since then nothing happened.
    I hope there will soon be a solution, as these 2 applications are very used.
    Regards

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

unhappy_viewer Guest

Default Re: ZA Pro 6.1 latest build and Kaspersky 6 latest update..

I use KAV 6 and I know exactly what you are talking about. The reason why ZA's Privacy Feature no longer works is because of KAV 6's new feature called Web AV. KAV's Web AV works by acting as a proxy between you and the internet, much in the same way as proxy websites. The Web AV feature does this so that it is able to scan the incoming data for malware.

However because of the internal proxy in your computer, the computer (browser, ZA etc.) sees the info as coming from KAV's internal proxy and not directly from the website servers. Thats why ZA is unable to apply the privacy features since the packet of info no longer originates from the original website. ZA's privacy features also would not work if you use a proxy server to surf the net.

If you want to use ZA's privacy feature, I recommend turning of Web AV. You will still be protected from malware by KAV's File AV (real-time protection) when you launch the downloaded files.

bimbobo Guest

Thanks,I reproted this in ZAP and KAV forum...Any idea if this issue will be solved somehow? I like ZAP too much, and I stepped back to KAV 5, as it works well with ZAP.
    Installing KAV 6 without WEB AV.... will still keep me safe, but is it not a pity installing a programm amputated?
    Regards

unhappy_viewer Guest

This type of thing can't be resolved unless Kaspersky develops another system of scanning webpages unless they remove the proxy within their software. And its going to be hard for them then to scan webpages since they now have no way of intercepting the downloads.

My advice is to still use KAV 6 minus WebAV (don't know if the internal proxy will still be installed though) and see if it works for you. Because if ZA's privacy features work without Web AV, you'd be getting more protection from KAV 6: KAV 5 does not have WebAV too and also does not have proactive defence (which anyway is almost the same as ZA's OSFirewall). KAV 5's engine is also much heavier in resourece usage and less efficient than KAV 6.

Other people also have trouble with KAV's Web AV issue too and ZA's privacy options:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showp...mp;postcount=9

Here's a solution that may help you get rid of KAV's internal proxy:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showp...p;postcount=11

Message Edited by unhappy_viewer on 05-24-200609:34 PM

Hi Bimbobo and Unhappy_Viewer!

KAV 6.0.300 and ZA AntiSpy 6.1.744.001 work just great together!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

unhappy_viewer Guest

Its the privacy features(which are not present on ZA Antispyware) that don't work. All other features except for AV Monitoring on ZA will work with KAV 6.

Thread Information