Thread: IM Security and AV E-mail not working

sprotster Guest

Default IM Security and AV E-mail not working

Can anyone please help me, my teenage daughter is tearing her hair out, (she'll be bald shortly) because her e-Messenger is not working. I have got as far as learning there is a conflict somewhere. I can't turn on IM Security and AV E-mail and this seems to be affecting the E-Messenger she is using, or trying to use. And was using until I updated settings and inadvertently clicked a button offering a trial offer of Zone Labs Security Pro. Once I had clicked on the Security Pro Trail offer there was no going back - which was very irritating. Perhaps that has mucked things up.

On consulting the Help box I am directed to look in Windows Internet Logs. In the Isp.conflict.text window it shows strings of hieroglyphs and then mentions New.net TCP Filter and New.net UDP Filter. Apparently these two are the culprits, but now what do I do? Do I need them, or do I uninstall them somehow?

This is about at the limits of my computer knowledge, so all bright ideas in plain English for a computer simpleton will be gratefully accepted.

Operating System:Windows ME
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jarvis Guest

Default Re: IM Security and AV E-mail not working

You have some "unwanted software" i.e. some mild malware. Newdotnet.

Try downloading Ewido Anti-Malware it will probably get rid of it.

sprotster Guest

Default Re: IM Security and AV E-mail not working

Jarvis

Many thanks for your kind help. I turned the computer off and on again and it seemed to restore the settings, but I don't really understand why.

Anyway that is one of my lesser problems at the moment, I only recently subscribed to Zone Alarm and now they are saying that an update cannot be applied to Windows ME. Just about to post this on the forum.

Sprotster

Thread Information