Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

  1. #1
    jmc1028 Guest

    Default E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

    Hi, Folks,First, I've been using computers since 1973. So, I have a little bit of knowledge on operating and maintaining my own computers. I've been using ZoneAlarmPro (and formerly ZoneAlarm) for more than five years on several computers with no problems. I was quite happy with these products.About 18 hours ago, I upgraded to ZoneAlarm SecuritySuite, v. 6.5 on my new computer.So far, I'm gravely disappointed. I've had to reboot my computer more times in the past 18 hours than I had to reboot my old one (Windows 98SE) in the past six years.My new computer (w/dual core processors)is running under Windows XP Pro. There is nothing on it to conflict with ZA Security Suite. (My ISP doesa virus-checkof e-mail before it reaches me, which has been good.. so far.)I use MS Outlook from MS 2003 Office Professional.In the past 18 hours...When I try to read e-mail, MS Outlook crashes, specifically with a "dump."When I try to send e-mail, MS Outlook crashes, specifically with a "dump."When I try to review an e-mail message with a date-stamp, MS Outlook crashes, specifically with a "dump."
    That is, MS Outlookhas been renderedbasically useless."End program" works about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time, I have to manually shut down the computer.Did I miss setting something correctly? (I spent quite a bit of time making sure that the settings were reasonable, but I could have easily have missed something.)
    Or, is there an error in ZA SecuritySuite v. 6.5 about which I'm unaware?
    Or both?
    Please kindly advise ASAP, because this is driving me crazy.Many thanks!!!Julie

    Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

  2. #2
    jmc1028 Guest

    Default Re: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

    While I'm waiting for a response, I've been turning various options OFF, one-by-one, to see if there is any change. I started with the anti-virus option and went immediately to MS Outlook, which promptly FROZE.<help>Again, thank you,Julie

  3. #3
    cyberian75 Guest

    Default Re: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

    Try turning spam/junk filter off under E-mail Protection. Many users are experiencing the same problem.

    Message Edited by cyberian75 on 06-16-2006 10:10 PM

    Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

  4. #4
    clars Guest

    Default Re: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

    I also had this problem. I fixed it by doing a full uninstall of Zonealarm and then reinstalled the new version. It is running just fine now.

  5. #5
    beecee Guest

    Default Re: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite

    If you cannot be bothered re-installing, turn off the mail-buddy COM add-in in Internet Explorer and the problem does not re-occur, it worked for me.As my ISP already provides extensive e-mail filtering, I don't notice the difference.Is there a software error .... the truth is out there!RegardsBarry

  6. #6
    jmc1028 Guest

    Default Re: E-mail & computer FREEZING: Long-time ZoneAlarmPro user just installed ZA SecuritySuite



    Thanks to those who responded.

    Last night, I did a clean install for ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.5.722.000. I went though it and carefully re-set previous settings except for junk mail (hoping that a "fix" had been implemented).

    The first thing that happened was that my computer again froze when I was reading an e-mail message in MS Outlook.

    After spending 20+ minutes to get my computer to respond, I re-set "junk mail" to OFF. In addition, I also blocked a nationally-known structural analysis computer program from accessing the internet. (I had previously done both after reading comments on "junk mail," because I couldn't determine which was causing the crashes.)

    Now, MS Outlook is working fine, but I still don't know the cause of the problem. (Unfortunately, I don't have the time to set one option at a time and wait not only fo rmy computer to crash, but to wait for it to "end program" so that I don't power it down mid-stream.)

    So... there seems to still be a "bug" in ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I wonder when "they" will be fixing it?






Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •