Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zonealarm update is crashing outlook

tacpow Guest

Default Re: New Zonealarm update is crashing outlook

OK, I seached the internet for the error codes and found some others that had similar problems

The last time Zonelabs prompted me to upgrade I figured that I would do just the upgrade rather than the clean install. BIG MISTAKE. I just now reinstalled the full version of Zonealarm Security Suite and the problem appears to be fixed.

If anyone else is having this problem, try uninstalling Zonealarm and reinstalling. I always wondered why Zonelabs gave you the choice of upgrading vs. clean install. Now I know why. Upgrading is fraught with problems.

infamia Guest

Default Re: New Zonealarm update is crashing outlook & Outlook 2003

Experiencing the similar problems. Recently upgraded to 722 and it's caused some BSODs. I managed to open ZA under safe mode and that seemed to relieve the problem. But when I rebooted again, while the BSODs didn't happen, I couldn't get my anti-spam working. Junk mail filter is turned off and when I click on it to turn it on, it gives me some error regarding "communications error". Whatever, I looked in the com objects, can't find it listed. I get about 300 spam emails a day, this is rough going right now. At this point I've removed 6.5.722 and have gone back to 6.1.744 version, hoping to I can get some further relief nowwith my spam, at leastuntil ZA gets this latest upgrade under control.Millions may have gotten this upgrade find (I know one my client's did go through with no problems) but it does seem that each subsequent upgrade, ZA keeps blowing up on a larger pool of users. They better refocus on shoring this product up before it gets out of hand. Feature rich is one thing, but stablity is everything.good luck,EG

kellkat Guest

I was having the same problem and this solution worked for me. I'm not a computer wiz but I think the problem has something to do with the "mailbuddy" add-in.

1) In Outlook Mail, go to: "Tools - Options" then select the "Other" tab, then select "Advanced Options - COM Add-ins...."

2) Then remove the "MailBuddy Outlook Addin" (select it and click the the "remove" button--note: I removed another add-in too by accident (I forget the name) but things seems to work fine anyway).

3) Then click on "Add" and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier" and select "mlfoshim.dll"

4) My version of Outlook asks for confirmation, so click on "OK" if asked.

Hope this helps!

kellkat Guest

(sorry about the double-post)I was having the same problem and this solution worked for me. I'm not a computer wiz but I think the problem has something to do with the "mailbuddy" add-in.

1) In Outlook Mail, go to: "Tools - Options" then select the "Other" tab, then select "Advanced Options - COM Add-ins...."

2) Then remove the "MailBuddy Outlook Addin" (select it and click the the "remove" button--note: I removed another add-in too by accident (I forget the name) but things seems to work fine anyway).

3) Then click on "Add" and navigate to "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\MailFrontier" and select "mlfoshim.dll"

4) My version of Outlook asks for confirmation, so click on "OK" if asked.

Hope this helps!

tacpow Guest

I keephaving the same problem for the past several weeks. When I look at the info included in the error report to Microsoft I find the follwing:Outlook.exe error
    software exception 0xc0000008 at location 0x7c964ed1I have searched and searched and searched without success. I believe this is a intertwined problem between Microsoft and ZoneAlarm.Very disappointing.

gbuhler Guest

I am having the exact same problem. . . does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

ralphzone Guest

Success! Thanks, Kellcat.I followed your instructions and pointed ZL 6.5.722 to mlfoshim.dll (672kb 1/20/06) in Program Files/Zone Labs/ZoneAlarm/MailFrontier/ instead of the old directory which was under documents and settings. I believe that there was no file with that name in the old directory. I did a search and it was only in the new directory. I have been using Office 2003 and Outlook 2003 under Windows XP Pro with ZA with no problems that I was aware of until this past week. All products were kept updated, although I have a feeling that there were times when Office and Win XP lagged a bit. This past week my PC slowed to a crawl and I thought that I had some sort of infestation. I checked Windows Task Manager and I noticed that outlook.exe was taking up almost 100 per cent of the CPU activity. From time to time I would also notice winword.exe and even multiple instances of outlook.exe. When I wanted to reboot I had to use the End Task option which always left the Outlook database improperly closed. I also noticed one or two repeating errors at shut down indicating that other programs were not closing. One was a windows frame module. In searching for info on this problem on the web I came across a couple of references to anti-virus and anti-spyware programs hooking into Outlook and not releasing when Outlook was closed, keeping one or more of their own modules open while also keeping outlook.exe open. I also found a reference to something that I did not need to try, which was to replace a possibly corrupt *.SRS (send and receive profile) file in Outlook 2003 that could keep Outlook open. It is supposed to be a hidden file under \Documents and Settings/[username]/Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Renaming it is supposed to work, but as I say, I didn't need to try this. I also came acrossa suggestion to use Outlook's repair function under the Help menu, but that didn't do it for me.It looks like whatever file was being picked up (if any) by Outlook as the COM add in was causing the problem, and per Kellcat, by pointing Outlook to the other directory it used the correct file which fixed the problem (without having to do an uninstall and complete reinstall as others recommended. Good work Kellcat! Thanks.

sinserli Guest

Many thanks! I had the same problem and have lost several hours before I found your message. I also tried with Zone Labs Support but I guess is better not to use it ....

puro Guest

I too am experiencing the same problem related to CRASH DUMP - DMP File.
    Short of removing ZoneAlarm from Outlook, how has this problem been solved?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information