Thread: Outlook Express crashes with Junk Mail Filter enabled

tnunan Guest

Default Outlook Express crashes with Junk Mail Filter enabled

Last week OE started crashing on startup and I traced the problem to the Junk Mail Filter.Did a complete uninstall and reinstall of ZA and all was well - until a short time ago when OE again started crashing.Anyone come up with a solution to this? (apart from keeping filter turned off!)ThanksTony

Default Re: Outlook Express crashes with Junk Mail Filter enabled

Can't help you, I leave the spam filter off because it blue-screens my PC when I use Outlook Express sometimes.

johnnymachine Guest

I had this problem too, or rather my wife did. On her login, OE crashed when Replying (from Message window, preview pane off, junk mail on etc). On my login, it didn't. A quick comparison between the processes running on each login showed that the only difference was that msmsgs.exe was runnijg on hers but not mine. This is the Windows Messenger service, which can't be exited while OE is running (you get the 'There are other applications currently using features provided by Windows Messenger...' message). I have no idea why it wasn't running on my login.
    So, on her login,
    I tried closing msmsgs.exe
    via Task Manager - this seemed to solve the crashing, but how to permanently fix it? Neither the options in OE (Tools, Options) or Messenger itself helped: even with
    OE set not to automatically logon to Messenger, the b__ thing still launches & sits in the taskbar,
    just not signed in - and msmsgs.exe still runs!
    I didn't want to have to close processes manually all the time. A quick search brought me to the following page:
    http://www.randyrants.com/2003/12/removing_window.html
    Cheers, Randy!! Summarised, the advice is to modify the registry setting under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express - either change DWORD value Hide Messenger to 2, or, if it doesn't exist,
    create a new DWORD value under that name and set it to 2. This prevents Messenger from launching in any way when OE is started up (and removes the auto login option from OE Options). You can of course run it manually from Start, Programs.
    Only did this in the last hour - if it fails to carry on working, I'll re-post.

johnnymachine Guest

Doh, typical! The problem returned this morning, even though msmsgs.exe is definitely not running. But it is intermittent and infrequent. In other words, just when you think it's gone away, it hasn't. Very annoying.

Thread Information