Thread: blank.cgi new windows when visiting eBay

sbl Guest

Default blank.cgi new windows when visiting eBay

I am trying ZASS again, having been frustrated and disappointed with it in the past. This time isn't going well either.

The current problem is that whenever I visit ebay.com, I get a bunch of "403 forbidden" messages in different spots on the home page, and, depending on which browser I use, I may get a series of blank.cgi, blank-2.cgi, etc. empty files opening in Notepad. Disabling ZASS makes this problem go away.

I searched this forum for "ebay" and "blank.cgi" and found no hits. I did find a number of matches with Google, and ZoneAlarm seemed to be implicated, but I could not find a solution. I have tried turning off ad blocking for ebay and allowing all cookies, but to no avail.

Also, is it true that ad blocking is either on or off - there is no ability to add strings to block as most other ad blocking products offer? The ad blocking that is there seems singularly ineffective in my tests.

I keep reading such glowing praise of ZASS, and I can't quite understand why. (Within the first five minutes after I had it installed, the TrueVector service aborted and I had to restart it manually.)

Steve

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

sbl Guest

Default Re: blank.cgi new windows when visiting eBay

Well, I figured out how to fix the blank.cgi problem - I had to dusable all ad blocking for the several different eBay domains (including ebaystatic.com). This behavior is not very friendly.

billc Guest

Default Re: blank.cgi new windows when visiting eBay

Thanks for posting what worked for you. I've been successful in getting eBay to work by adding www.ebay.com to my Privacy > Site List and then unblocking everything in Privacy for that site. I think you may be able to do the same thing without adding the several sites to your Site List. The reason I mention that is one day eBay may add another site you'll need to add to your list or get blocked again.

Thread Information