Thread: Problem with MSN IM audio? Help, please?

mischief Guest

Default Problem with MSN IM audio? Help, please?

I have noticed since I upgraded to MSN IM version 7, it makes me lower the firewall out of Stealth Mode (high) and down to medium in order to do a Voice conversation over IM. Never had to lower the firewall before, and this greatly concerns me, as I have noticed no entries being blocked by ZA during the time I have this lowered to Medium.

Is there a way to access MSN IM voice by opening up some port to it, instead of lowering the firewall? On my PROGRAMS section of ZA, I already gave MSN "access" and "server" rights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Operating System:Windows 98-SE (Second Edition)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

billc Guest

Default Re: Problem with MSN IM audio? Help, please?

Try this. Go to your Zone Alarm Pro Program Control > Programs list, locate the MSN IM program, right click on it , then click to remove it. If MSN IM is open, close it. Now open MSN IM again and you should get a Zone Alarm Pro Program Alert. Click 'allow' and the 'remember this box. Now go back to the Program list and confirm it has 'Access' and 'server' rights. Did that fix it?

This could be in part due to the more general problems people are having with MSN Messenger and ZA. These problems are long running and ZL are working on a solution but if it continues to be a problem, there are alternatives.

Skype will provide the best all round solution including encryption of your IM's, audio, video and file transfers, and it has very few issues with firewalls including software firewalls like ZA and hardware firewalls. It may be that you will need to change and get your friends to change too until ZL solve the MSN problem.

mischief Guest

Hey, Bill, thank you so much for that advice. It did work! Woohoo! I'm a happy girl now!

mischief Guest

just wanted to thank you for posting a reply. I have bookmarked Skype, looks interesting!

Thread Information