Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image Blocking Criteria

rynert Guest

Default Image Blocking Criteria

What is the criteria ZA uses to block images? I have a page on my site where 3 / 6 images are blocked. Can't figure out what it is that makes just 3 of them dissapear.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Image Blocking Criteria

If you were to turn off Banner/SkyScrapper blocking in your Privacy > Ad-Blocking that would likely fix the problem. I'm not exactly sure what various criteria Zone Labs uses but when I've tested sites with similar problems, it seems to me the size of the image may have something to do with it. I could be totally wrong as well. Could you post the URL of your page in question, I'd like to have a look.

rynert Guest

Hi Bill, try here : http://www.sell365.com/image-test.htm

This is a simplified page.

The left image does not load, the right does.

From lots of testing I have found that linking the image to a PDF in a _blank window stops it from loading. The problem though is that it does not just block the image, and load the ALT text, it actually strips out the whole image HTML so my visitors will not even know that there should be an image!

ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.094.000
    TrueVector version:5.5.094.000
    Driver version:5.5.094.000

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

billc Guest

Thank you for the URL.. I always like a mystery and trying to figure blocking criteria in Zone Alarm Pro is usually a mystery to me. But I've got this one figured out I think. Looking at the source code didn't give me a clue but checking the properties on your digi-seal.gif did. The full URL includes the word sell and that makes Zone Alarm Pro think it is an ad. Put the image elsewhere and I bet you'll be ok.

rynert Guest

Well.... I think that idea is flawed for two reasons a) the original location was a different URL, and b) both images have 'sell' in the full URL

So... more investigating needed

On one occasion I saw this when it is blocked - notice the URL reporting a differnt domain on the same server (this is a bug with ZA we discussed ages ago)

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.

So put here http://www.sell365.com/adblocker.txt

billc Guest

You're right. Like I said, the criteria is a mystery to me. I did some testing of my own and it is not the image properties; I substituted the image for a button and when the 'Banner/Skyscraper" blocking is on in Zone Alarm Pro, it strips the image out ( my test page ). I tried different images and removing the '_blank' tag. No go. I'll do some more testing as soon as I think of something else to try. In the meantime, you probably can get the straight answer from the technicians at Zone Labs Technical Support . Sorry I've not get it answered yet. But if you do get an answer will you post back?

I'm beginning to think it is because it's an image in a table, but what do I know?

rynert Guest

Thanks Bill

Have sent a support message, will let you know if I get a response.

rynert Guest

Well, I got a response - no use at all though

"I apologize for the inconvenience. The information is not at hand, we don't have a reason as to why ZA blocks certain pictures. Its usually just how it is coded into the web page. Again I apologize for the inconvenience."

billc Guest

Default Got a solution

Gosh. Gee. That was useful, huh? Well as I said before, I like a good mystery. I played around with your code and found that if I took the first table tag and removed the width="50%" in the tag, Zone Alarm would show the image link. Have a look here.. I've not got a clue as to why that works. The bad news is the tables are not even in their size. So then I added the 'width' tag to the second table image and BINGO! it worked. Again, I've not got a clue, but there you have a solution for this particular example.

Message Edited by BillCherryAtl on 08-20-2006 02:28 PM

rynert Guest

Default Re: Got a solution

Yes - most useful. Not.

Anyway.. thanks for your efforts - but it didn't work for me!

However, I tried some more things and found a solution that works for me.

Rather than having target="_blank" I have target="SomeName" and it works fine!

Odd that one!

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information