Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update to crashing Outlook - I finally have a workaround solution.

tacpow Guest

Default Update to crashing Outlook - I finally have a workaround solution.

I had posted an explanation of this problem several weeks back in this thread:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=6695here is a detailed review of the error messagehttp://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=6710I was experiencing repeated crashing of Outlook due to a buggy update to Zone Alarm Security Suite. The problem was due to Mailfrontier. It appears thatGlenlyon's solution worked for me http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=6879. Glenlyon helped me figure a workaround even though I had to disable automated email attachment virus scanning. Thanks for the help Glenlyon!!! You da MAN!! :8}Zone Alarm's tech support tried to pass this off as my problem, but clearly ZASS hasa bug in the recent update that is causing the crashes. I will email Zone Alarm tech support to let them know that Glenlyon's workaround has stopped the crashing. This is not a desireable workaround as you have to disable automated email attachment virus scanning, but it is better than crashing Outlook several times every hour.I hope that this post helps others avoid days of frustrating troubleshooting. I estimate that I have spent at least 40 hours in the past several weeks trying to resolve this and another problem due to issues with Zonealarm. This software used to be bulletproof, but lately I am starting to wonder if I might need to find other security software due to repeated buggy updates and deficiencies in the spyware detection capabilities.One final note, this forum seems much more informative than ZA tech support. I will no longer waste endless hours trying to get help with tech support, I will spend that time searching this forum for my answers. Maybe ZA tech support should spend more time on this forum. They would likely be better equipped to help customers with problems.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Message Edited by tacpow on 09-02-2006 07:48 PM

Message Edited by tacpow on 09-02-2006 08:18 PM

billc Guest

Default Re: Update to crashing Outlook - I finally have a workaround solution.

Good post tacpow. I would encourage you to send your findings to Zone Labs Technical Support . Because I'm still using Zone Alarm Pro, your comments have helped me understand some ZASS issues.

tacpow Guest

UPDATEWell, I spoke too soon, I just had another crash, but in fairness instead of crashing within minutes, it took 8-10 hours. So de-activating email attachment scanning helps, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. To further test this issue, I reactivated email attachment scanning and Outlook crashed after a few minutes. So there seems to be a strong connection between activating both email attachment scanning AND on-access scanning, but the problem will still occur with email attachment scanning deactivated. Since deactivating email attachment scanning reduces the crashes significantly, I will probably keep it deactivated until ZA fixes this bug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------A bit more background info:I was instructed by ZA tech support to deactivate all non microsoft services in msconfig. This stopped the problem completely, but as soon as I reactivated any of the non microsoft services that I deactivated, the problem reappeared. So it seems unfair to blame a conflict with a particular program since all mynon microsoft services appear to conflict with ZASS.Another clue. When I disabled Mailfrontier completely (by going into Outlook Tools, Options, Other tab, Advanced Options, Com Add-ins, the crashes continued, but they were even more severe. If Mailfrontier is active, Outlook crashes, but I can save my email that I am typing. If Mailfrontier is deactivated, the Outlook crash prevents me from saving an email that I am in the middle of typing and I lose all my work that was unsaved in Outlook.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------The specific error code that I get whenOutlook crasheswith Mailfrontier active is:Zone Alarm Outlook
    Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    To see what this error report contains click hereWhen I click the link, I get the following windowCrash Report Contents.
    NameDescriptionTypeSize
    Outlook.dmpCrash DumpDMP File82036Double click a file to view its contents
    Name:C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff Spies\Application Data\MailFrontier\Outlook.dmp
    Description:Crash Dump
    MDMP
    c -------------------------------------------------------------------------------The specific error code that I get whenOutlook crasheswith Mailfrontier deactivated is:
    C:\DOCUME~1\JEFFSP~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\a9d_appcompat.t xt
    Outlook.exe error
    software exception 0xc0000008 at location 0x7c964ed1Exception Information
    Code: 0xc0000008 Flags: 0x00000001
    Record: 0x00000000000000000 Adress: 0x000000007c964ed1System Information
    Windows NT 5.1 Build: 2600
    CPU Vendor Code: 756K6547 - 49656E69 - 6C65746K
    CPU Version: 00000653 CPU Feature Code: 0183FBFFModule 1

Message Edited by tacpow on 09-03-2006 08:53 AM

tacpow Guest

Default More troubleshooting info for ZA debugging team.

OK, Here is some more info to help ZA tech support find the bug.According to http://experts.about.com/q/Microsoft...-message-m.htmthe problem is due to the upgraded Zone Alarm attempting to access a DLL file that has a newer date than the upgrade.

The upgrade does not completely uninstall all files. If a file existed in the previous version that is newer than the upgrade, it can not access the file and creates an error exception.
    It appears that an earlier version of McAfee had the same problem and they resolved it with a patch. I have tried to copletely uninstall ZA and reinstall, but that does not work.Based upon some searching I have done on this issue I suspect this problem only affects those with certain motherboards.

Message Edited by tacpow on 09-03-2006 11:47 AM

tacpow Guest

Default ZA tech support instructs me to update to newest version

ok, Here we go again. After the lengthy description that I detailed in this thread, the ZA tech support rep recommended that I update my ZA software.Seem ZA has just had another software update released to the public on August 31, 2006. This makes 4 updates in the past 3 months. Holy moly that is rediculous. Whenever I see that many updates in such a short period of time, I think "buggy software"I am trying this, but I dont have much confidence that this will fix the problem. Oh well, fingers crossed.....

Message Edited by tacpow on 09-03-2006 01:29 PM

tacpow Guest

Default New updated software doesn't fix the problem. Go figure.

New updated software doesn't fix the problem. Go figure.

ourtwocents Guest

Default Re: New updated software doesn't fix the problem. Go figure.

I had the same problem on 3 systems. It was related to the mail frontier component. I had to reboot after each crash in order for outlook to work....and then it only worked when mail frontier was disabled.It took a complete reinstall which has fixed the problem. I made sure to do a complete uninstall per ZA's instructions at:http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html

Message Edited by ourtwocents on 09-03-2006 11:31 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

I've still got the mail filter disabled - my computer rarely crashes and reboots, except when MailFrontier and Outlook Express 6 is running. Actually opening emails with images seems tocause the problem.Probably fixed in later versions, but I've got 6.0.667 stable now.

ourtwocents Guest

I would be leery without mailsafe running...that has caught more viruses on my system at the door. I fixed my problems and it all runs great now. I posted about it at:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=7008It's a shame with what I had to do to fix it. Maybe ZA will fix their update process one day. Most customers will not jump through these hoops to fix problems. Then again, most customers would just blame MS instead of seeing the real problem.

misternetwork Guest

Is your fix still working? I'll have to check up on that. I've been experiencing crashes for the last 6 months or so. I'll be checking up on your last post, but I noticed on my system, if I leave the original Outlook "Reminders" window open, I have no crashes.

I wish ZA would just fix the darn thing ... they've had enough updates!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information