Thread: MailFrontier Anti-Spam Acting As a Keylogger?

ceilidh Guest

Default MailFrontier Anti-Spam Acting As a Keylogger?

I just updated ZoneAlarm this morning to version 6.5.737.000 (Anti-Spam version 4.8.2.7565). Now, I'm getting an alert that mantispm.exe is trying to act as a keylogger, monitor mouse movements, etc. Now, why would a spam filter that's a part of ZoneAlarmneed to do that??? X-( Should I be worried?:0Here's what SmartDefense Advisor says:

Spam Filter is trying to monitor your system to observe what events are occurring.ZoneAlarm Security Suite is asking you whether to allow this behavior. Your computer is safe.

<A target=_blank>What should I do?</A> If Spam Filter needs to monitor your system to observe what events are occurring and you trust this program, then give it permission. If you do not trust this program or the program does not need to monitor your system then deny it. If you are unsure, you can always deny access and run the program again, if it is required.

<A target=_blank>Why?</A> Spam Filter is potentially malicious. It may be attempting to monitor your system to observe what events are occurring to retrieve information about you or your system.Alert property - Alert property value - Technical explanationProgram Name- Spam Filter - A program running on your computer, which attempted an action that was detected by the OSFirewall.Filename- mantispm.exe - The filename of the program that ZoneAlarm Security Suite found on your computer.Program Version- 4, 8, 2, 7565 - The version of Spam Filter running on your computer.Program Size- 898640 - The size of the program executable file in bytes.Program MD5- 80b6ba3b72e6facf97f83e99b752f69b - The MD5 hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable.Smart Checksum- 885d22d6e9d2e2d2b08c4f0eb64a2a5c - The SKIMP hash, or number, that uniquely identifies the executable.Date Modified- Jun-23-2006 01:19:06 AM - The date when mantispm.exe was most recently modified.Event Type- Execution - The event involved executing Windows instructions.Sub Event Type- ExecutionGlobalWindowsHook - Spam Filter attempted to set a Windows hook without a specific thread.<A target=_blank>Details</A>

A program may legitimately monitor your system to observe what events are occurring. However, if a program is malicioius, this action could be associated with an attempt to record keystrokes, mouse clicks, and other types of malicious behavior.

Due to the potential threat, only programs which have been given explicit permission to observe what events are occuring on your system, will be allowed to do so.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: MailFrontier Anti-Spam Acting As a Keylogger?

Yes, it is a keylogger to do it's job for some reason ... don't ask me why.

bubblebee Guest

ok, then maybe someone from Zone Alarm can answer why??

Ask tech support via the web site, as I don't work for ZA. I just hang around here :8}
    Cheers

charliel Guest

Just seems peculiar that ZA doesn't recognize its own anti-spam program.

Thread Information