Thread: Site visits not logged in privacy site list

stierney Guest

Default Site visits not logged in privacy site list

Have recently applied ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000 update.
    Decided to keep existing privacy settings, but cleared out the programs and components list.
    Program Control set to Medium, SmartDefense Advisor set to Auto.
    Privacy site list used to log visited sites, but no longer, also 3rd party cookies are being written, then some removed by
    Anti-Spyware feature.
    There is
    no other 3rd party ad blocking software.
    Have
    had Norton Antivirus installed for a long time, nothing has been changed here though.
    Could this be a symptom of Program Control or a genuine bug introduced by the
    last update?
    Any help appreciated.Stephen

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Site visits not logged in privacy site list

It sounds like your Zone Alarm Pro database got corrupt during the upgrade and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

blackshadow Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillC wrote:
    It sounds like your Zone Alarm Pro database got corrupt during the upgrade and needs to be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Hi Bill,

I am having the same exact problem as Stephen. After the update for v6.5.737.000, the site list no longer updates with the websites I visit. Also, even if I manually add a website to the site list and allow cookies (for mail.yahoo.com, for example), the website still says I can't accept cookies. I have tried adding the site, then shutting ZoneAlarm Pro down, and then restarting it. This seems to work, but it is extremely inconvenient.

I tried uninstalling completely, deleting all the leftover files (following instructions from ZoneAlarm support), and then doing a clean reinstallation, but this did not fix the problem. I also tried deleting the two files you mentioned again after reinstalling, but it still didn't work.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

billc Guest

Let me make sure I understand your situation properly. I think you're saying that if you make the changes in your Site List and reboot your computer, the settings are not remembered. But if you make the changes in your Site List, shutdown and then reopen Zone Alarm Pro, it does remember the settings on the next boot. Have I got that right?

stierney Guest

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the information. I'm a little hestitant do delete the database as I've expended
    effort setting-up
    my firewall's expert
    rules - do you know if I'll lose these rules too?
    Or at least is there's anyway of exporting the ruleset before I blow them away.
    If I'm going to lose the lot, I'll need
    wait until I can find
    some
    time to setup the rules again.
    A see that someone else has had this problem too, so I may wait and see if they can work it out - hope they don't mind being the guinea pig

Many thanksStephen

stierney Guest

Hi,
    I decided to re-install the latest update, and chose to overwrite my previous configuration.
    As expected this cured the problem, which is likely to be what
    you suspected - a data corruption of some kind.
    Thanks for all your help
    CheersStephen

Thread Information