Thread: Outlook must shutdown message

jimhaynes Guest

Default Outlook must shutdown message

I am running Outlook 2003 and ZoneAlarm Suite 6.5.737. Ever since upgrading to ZoneAlarm Suite I have been getting a message several times a week, Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close . This comes in a ZA window asking what was happening when the problem occurred. On most occasions no one was at the computer and the only thing that I can determine is that Outlook sent an automatic Send/Receive. When I changed this setting to require a manual click on the Send/Receive button things operated normally (at least for a while). On more rare occasions I also get a message, A program is trying to access a contact in your Contact Folder . My ZA anti-virus and anti-spyware definitions are up to date and I have scanned and found nothing. I have run scanpst.exe and corrected all errors. Still I get the Outlook needs to close message several times a week. None of this happened when I was running just ZA Pro.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

jkrukin Guest

Default Re: Outlook must shutdown message

This same problem started happening to me a few days ago after I added new email accounts. It appears to be triggered when one of the new POP or SMTP servers I connect to doesn't respond within default time parameters.

After closing Outlook 2003 and restarting, I'd get an Outlook error msg that extend.dat couldn't be opened. That's easily fixed by closing Outlook and renaming the file extend.old, as Outlook recreates the file when re-started. This did not stop the ZASS 6.5.737 error from occurring, where Outlook must be closed.

Thank you.

Jeff

jimhaynes Guest

I have never seen the extend.dat error. Did you try increasing your sever time out setting? I will try that and see if it makes a difference. There have been some issues with my POP mail server lately. That could have something to do with this.
    Jim

jkrukin Guest

Yes, I've increased the server timeout settings and it's helped reduce the number of times the ZASS error occurs.

According to info I found online, the extend.dat error occurs when you use Outlook's email accounts function but don't actually make changes, or you try different things that don't work and then cancel. Evidently, it's a sensitive little beast.

Thread Information