Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Privacy Site List doesn't log sites!

blackshadow Guest

Default Privacy Site List doesn't log sites!

This problem was mentioned before, but it was a long time ago so I opened this one.

The problem:
    After the update for ZAPro v6.5.737.000, the site list no longer updates with the websites I visit (using either Firefox or IE6). I have my cookies control set on Medium. Even if I manually add a website to the site list and allow cookies (for mail.yahoo.com, for example), the website still says I can't accept cookies (ZoneAlarm seems to ignore my settings and block cookies anyway).

I tried uninstalling completely, deleting all the leftover files (following instructions from ZoneAlarm support), and then doing a clean reinstallation, but this did not fix the problem. I also tried deleting the two files suggested on the earlier thread (backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb) and then rebooting, but this still didn't fix the problem.

I did find one solution that has worked, but it is extremely inconvenient!
    If I manually add the site to the Site List, then shut down ZAPro, and reopen ZAPro, it works. To quote Bill from previous thread: "if [I] make the changes in [my] Site List and reboot [my] computer, the settings are not remembered. But if [I] make the changes in [my] Site List, shutdown and then reopen Zone Alarm Pro..." it DOES remember my settings--I don't even have to reboot.

Any ideas? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
    Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Privacy Site List doesn't log sites!

Go to the program list in ZA, right click on the entry for the browser you are using, and see if privacy has been turned on for it. Also go into each browser and turn the native privacy settings down.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

blackshadow Guest

<blockquote><hr>Hoov wrote:
    Go to the program list in ZA, right click on the entry for the browser you are using, and see if privacy has been turned on for it. Also go into each browser and turn the native privacy settings down.
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi Hoov,

The privacy has been on for both IE6 and Firefox, and turning down the native settings in IE6 did not fix the problem (there was no option like this in Firefox--or I could not find it....)

...could you think of anything else that it might be?

What happens when you turn the privacy settings in ZA to off? The main settings.

blackshadow Guest

What happens when you turn the privacy settings in ZA to off? The main settings.
    <hr></blockquote>

If I turn the cookie control off, I don't have any problems. That's how I've been dealing with the issue so far. But that doesn't really solve the problem since I don't have any control over cookies... Is this an uncommon problem? I know there was at least 1 other person on the forum that seemed to be having the same exact problem as I am. Again, this only happened after I updated to the new version (6.5.737). I had no problems with the earlier build(6.5.722).

If this is not a common problem, then maybe I will try completely uninstalling again. I was pretty sure I got everything last time I tried this, but maybe not. Do you think I should do this? And if so, do you have a very detailed list as to how I can remove all traces of ZoneAlarm Pro before I try a clean installation?

Any possibility this is being caused by software incompatability? I run a pretty lean machine.... with absolutely no superfluous background processes/services. Just normal Windows XP Pro services, and BitDefender Antivirus v10.

Thanks again for your help.

Do you have any toolbars running, like google or yahoo? Some of them have privacy controls.

blackshadow Guest

Nope, no tool bars or anything like that. I have a few add-ons for FireFox (including NoScript and IETab), but these didn't cause a problem in the earlier version of ZAPro and it wouldn't explain why it's not working with IE6 either.

Are you surfing thru a proxy server?

blackshadow Guest

Are you surfing thru a proxy server?
    <hr></blockquote>

...I never thought of this. I am not surfing through a proxy server, but I am hooked up to the internet through my University's network. Do you think this might be the source of the problem?

Message Edited by blackshadow on 10-21-200602:15 PM

btag Guest

I have the same problem, and have run through the same process to no avail.

This also appears to have begun when I updated to latest version. In fact, the privacy list does log sites during a specific session. However, once you restart, the list appears to be cleared... and starts again from scratch.

I run XP SP2, using Firefox and IE.

This is the first time in three years of running ZA that I've had this problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information