Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailsafe didn t change file extension

joeii Guest

Default Mailsafe didn t change file extension

Hello, I just noticed that my attachments are no longer being quarantined. I tried emailing myself a number of files with different extensions and none of them are quarantined when I receive them. I don't know when this feature "broke". I checked the setting and Inbound Mailsafe protection is turned on. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Mailsafe didn t change file extension

Maybe. If you have the feature turned on and it is not changing the extensions that suggests to me your Zone Alarm Pro firewall is not reading your setting properly. This in turn usually is caused be a corrupt database that needs resetting. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

joeii Guest

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping I wouldn t have to reset everything, but I ll do it if it s the only way to fix the problem.

Here s an update. I got some more SPAM today that had an attachment with a .gif extension, but now ZoneAlarm has changed the extension to .zmg, so it appears to be working. I re-sent myself some email with a .gif extension and ZoneAlarm didn t change the extension. Maybe ZoneAlarm doesn t change the extension if the sender is from behind the firewall? Is this a feature???

Joe

billc Guest

If you send yourself a e-mail with an attachment it should change the extension. Try this as a test. Create a small .txt file, save it to your computer, right click on it, then change the extension to .exe. Now mail it as an attachment to yourself and see what happens. Actually, .gif is not an extension that should be changed. Have a look here. .

joeii Guest

Hi Bill, Thanks for the feedback.

Actually I already tried what you suggested (which is why I made my original post), but Outlook blocked the .exe file attachment (i.e. it deleted it). I then tried a .com and .bat file with the same results. I was then forced to read through the Outlook help and it says that some file extensions are always blocked by Outlook and can t be un-blocked. I finally found Outlook didn t block .asx files so I tried them and saw that ZoneAlarm didn t rename them.

I initially ran into this problem because I was receiving some SPAM with .gif files and I noticed that ZoneAlarm didn t block them, so I added .gif to the list and when I sent myself a file with .gif it wasn t renamed. I then went through the above process and saw the same results with the .asx extension in the default list.

I just tried remotely logging into my computer at work and sent myself some email with a .asx file, but it was blocked form my work computer. I then sent a .gif file and a .doc file and then checked my email and the .gif was renamed, but the .doc wasn t (I added .doc to my list too). I went back to my work computer and sent a .doc, .gif and a .zip file and the .doc was renamed and the .gif and .zip weren t. What?

So, I took your advice and wiped out my database files, and restarted my computer. I tried sending myself some email same results not renamed. I then went back to my work computer and send myself a .doc, .xls. .gif and .zip. Only the .doc was renamed. I then went back to my work computer and just send a .zip file and it was renamed. Repeated for .gif and it was renamed.

It looks like ZoneAlarm won t rename files I send from my computer, and will only rename the 1st in a sequence of email sent from my work computer. This appears to be repeatable, though I don t know why it is working like this. Maybe these is some weird interaction between Outlook 2003 and ZoneAlarm? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

billc Guest

Hey Joe. I'm sorry but I don't know what is happening. What is difficult to diagnose is the intermittent nature of the Mail Safe feature. I don't know of any particular behavior between Zone Alarm Pro and Outlook 2003. The fact you're sending from your office shouldn't make any difference because you're still going through a third party mail server. I might suggest you contact the technicians at Zone Labs Technical Support . They'll usually respond within a day. Sorry I don't have another suggestion at this point. I would like to know what you get from Zone Labs if you could post back.

joeii Guest

Bill,

Thanks for your help. Yeah, these types of errors are hard to fix. Anyway, I ve opened an issue and hopefully will get the answer I will post it when/if I get it.

Thanks,

Joe

joeii Guest

Bill,

Here's what they said: "I understand that you are not seeing the file extensions change when you send them but when other people send them then it will change. This could be caused by the system realizing that it is being sent by the same program."

Guess it's supposed to work that way? Does your s work that way too?

Anyway, as long as it renames the email I receive from the outside it's OK.

Joe

billc Guest

To tell you the truth Joe, I'm not sure what they mean.

joeii Guest

Me too, and I just received some SPAM with a .gif attachment which I have in my list and it wasn t renamed. Maybe I ll try re-installing it. :-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information