Thread: Privacy settings

rolsto Guest

Default Privacy settings

I converted to ZA from NIS about 2 months ago.
    My frustration level with the privacy settings and blocked pages is increasing to a point whereby "seamless" use is becoming impossible.
    I have no other Firewalls, Antivirus toggled on, and am finding myself having to adjust privacy settings to a point where all features (Ad blocking, mobile code, etc)
    need to be shut off for pages to load.
    NY Times web page is very troublesome, and online merchant pages also very difficult to navigate.
    If I went to same pages all the time, that would be fine, but i dont want to have to shut ZA off everytime I go to a new page in order to get images to load and get things to work.
    With Norton, everything got blocked--not a thing appeared--and I never had a problem.

I have read through all the posts and instructions and I know I am not doing anything wrong. What is the issue here?
    brad

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Privacy settings

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

First of all it sounds like you may have some old files or registry keys still installed on your computer from your Norton's product. Therefore they need to be totally removed from your computer. PLEASE go to the following thread that Guru Oldsod had posted and PLEASE follow the "Exact Instructions", THANKS.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=47388#M59481

After you have completed the above instructions, PLEASE complete the following, only after the above is completely done, not before.

A database reset will fix the problem if Zone Alarm is the problem in the first place. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode.
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4. Reboot into the normal mode.

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: Privacy settings

Definite improvement.
    However, the number of sites that require modification to load, and also the inability of the program to differentiate between ads and desired content is still not great.
    Norton worked a heck of a lot better in this department.
    thanksbrad

rolsto Guest

Default Re: Privacy settings

I am still having a great deal of trouble blocking ads on pages.
    Ad Muncher seems to do the job (I downloaded after the fact as an experiment), but
    Zone alarm requires an awful lot of tweaking and is very inefficient in this department.

Thread Information