Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ad blocking not always working?

charnes Guest

Default ad blocking not always working?

Hi -- I have ZASS 6.5.737 and have set ad-blocking to High, but I often see ads on web pages. For instance, I see ads at www.about.com and www.weather.com. This happens no matter what I've set for Ad Void control. Am I doing something wrong?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

mab Guest

Default Re: ad blocking not always working?

Hi Charnes & all,I have just moved from ZonalarmPro vers 6.1.744 & Windows 98SE to ZonalarmPro vers 6.5.737 & Windows XP.Ad blocking works fine on my old pc but does not work at all on the new.I have tried both IE and Firefox, my Zone settings are the sameIs it the Zonealarm update or the Windows version??

charnes Guest

Browsing on WWW.ZONELABS.COM for help on ad-blocking, I came across this paragraph:

"You may have encountered unique banner ad technology. Ad companies are constantly introducing new ways to get ads in front of you, and you may occasionally see some of these ads. We are constantly working to improve the way we handle such ads, and your feedback will help us greatly. Please let us know about ads we don't block by emailing minfo@zonelabs.com. This will allow us to collect more info on this issue."

I see that ad-blocking is working on, for instance, nytimes.com but it seems that banner ads on *most* of the web pages I go to are *not* blocked. I will contact the above email address and see if that helps. I'm curious to know how ad-blocking is working for other folks.

mab Guest

Thank you, I'll start mailing my ads their way
    I would be interested to hear from other users, especially if they have altered any XP settings to solve this

billc Guest

Let me suggest something that may help. If on the www.about.com site you are talking about the 'animated' ad for Enbrel try this. Go to your Zone Alarm Pro Privacy > Main panel, turn on your Mobile Code control function, then click on the 'Custom' button for Mobile Code control and check the 'Block JavaScript' box. Now 'refresh' the page and that ad should not appear. IN Zone Alarm Pro JavaScript blocking is turned off by default.

charnes Guest

Well, it turns out that the email address Zone Labs gives for sending reports to -- minfo@zonelabs.com -- is not working. I get a 'user unknown' error.

Spending some time researching this subject, and unless I hear otherwise from other folks here, I have a suspicion that the banner ad blocking feature of Zone Alarm provides extremely limited blocking capabilities, and that MOST graphic banner ads will escape this blocking. (Though MAB, you say that it worked well on your old computer?) In any case, I have found a Firefox add-on called Adblock Plus at http://adblockplus.org that does a much more thorough job. Don't know what's available for IE.

There are several appraches to this>

Both Firefox and Opera can be used with an "adblock.css". The css or the "custom style sheet" does work well. Both can have user javascripts used. FireFox is noted for the Grease Monkey, but the Opera does have quite a few of it's own and Grease Monkey has been modified of it as well.

Opera has an equilavent of the FireFox's Adblock- the filter.ini (can be created or modified) plus the privacy of the right click in the Opera versions 9.x.

http://www.schrode.net/opera/url_filtering/index.html

http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.ph...at=operafilter

The Internet Explorer has the IE SpyAd to be installed. This is more of a security feature than a true ad blocker>

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/r...htm#IESPYAD_ZO

The host file of the OS itself can have a large ad filtering and works for all browsers>

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

and after this is used properly , there is a list specifically for ad servers...

http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.ph...ar%5D=2000

Proxomitron and Privoxy are proxy type of filtering- everything from cookies to various scripts, and can block ads as well as provide more security. Works for all browsers and the internet conections may become slower as a result of using either one of these.

All of these suggested are freeware. There is shareware for adblocking, one might be >

http://www.admuncher.com/

I use just one adblocking feature and not both- either the ZA adblocking or the adblocking capability of the browser, but not both. The host file approach will work in tandem with either one. If using the proxy filtering method then just use it and ignore the other ad blockers.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-06-2006 12:04 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

billc Guest

Carnes. Did my suggestion not work? If not, you may have another problem we need to address.To get Zone Labs help mail here: Zone Labs Technical Support

rolsto Guest

See my post on 12/3, "PRIVACY SETTINGS."
    I am with you, to filter out all the ads and to get things to work efficiently, it takes too much work.
    Very disappointing.brad

charnes Guest

<blockquote><hr>BillC wrote:

Carnes. Did my suggestion not work? If not, you may have another problem we need to address.

To get Zone Labs help mail here: Zone Labs Technical Support
    <hr></blockquote>

Right, sorry for not having responded. I did try your suggestion, and it did successfully block that Enbrel ad on www.about.com. And I went to a number of other web pages and it does seem that in general, blocking JavaScript in Mobile Code Control is a decent way to block ads. Ironically, it certainly seems more effective in blocking ads than the 'Ad Blocking' feature! (Though I did notice that even with full Banner Ad Blocking and JavaScript blocked, I still see the Dell ad on the middle right of the page on www.yahoo.com.)

Blocking Javascript also blocks Google text banner ads, and again, turning on 'Ad Blocking' by itself does not do this.

I'm a bit wary, though, about turning off JavaScript systemwide -- won't it hamper web sites that use it for non-advertisement purposes? Also local Windows apps? Isn't there a downside to blocking JavaScript?

Message Edited by charnes on 12-06-200610:35 PM

Message Edited by charnes on 12-06-200610:35 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information