Thread: When is a graphic a "baner ad" and how to avoid having it blocked

zforray Guest

Default When is a graphic a "baner ad" and how to avoid having it blocked

I manage a Christian website. Recently, the owner asked me to add a graphic publicizing an upcoming event (along with a link to the site to register) and another button on a different page, to also link to the registration site.

While this seemed to be a simple thing to do, I spent hours trying to figure out why the page changes would show-up correctly on my own pc (I use Dreamweaver) yet never appear on the live site. Then an epiphany hit me and I turned down the "ad blocking" option of ZoneAlarm and SHAZAM - it started to show up/work.

So, my questions are this.

Why are some graphics considered an "ad" while other graphics and links on my site, are not ?

How do I avoid this ? Constantly having to change the "privacy" settings is very annoying and time-consuming !

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: When is a graphic a "baner ad" and how to avoid having it blocked

I suppose an ad would be considered one with a different address from the site address. This would include banners and popups. Both the FireFox and the Opera browsers have the capability to block ads by sites and ad descriptions and both with wildcards.

Some sites now have the ads "embedded" in their site, just to bypass the adblockers that so many users are now using these days. These special ads do not have an independant address and have the same address as the site that presents them.

Even the CSS of some browsers can be altered to increase ad blocking. The ads are still taken in or accepted by the browser as the ads are part of the site presentation, yet the browser does not display the ads, due to the browser's independant rearrangements. The custom style sheet can be done in any browser, the FireFox and the Opera being the most common to use these. The IE has this capability as well, yet it's CSS works in a different manner.

Also by blocking the javascripts alone that often will block many flash and ads and GIFS or such things.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-16-2006 10:34 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zforray Guest

Thanks for the response.

Part of your response is true and part is not. I downloaded one of the graphics directly to my site so that part of your response doesn't apply/work. However, the graphic does have a link to an outside location, so that part is true.

On the second graphic/link it is suppressing, it is both from a different site and links to a different site.

So, I am still confused......

Does it work with the Private Headers (referer) enabled?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zforray Guest

Please excuse my ignorance, but I do not understand what you are asking me to check. Please explain in detail.

socalreviews Guest

Hello zforray, The area that Guru Oldsod is referring to is in the ZASS (ZoneAlarm Security Suite) program under Privacy. The following is a detailed explanation:

In ZASS in Privacy > Main, click the custom tab for Cookie Control (any of the tabs would work), click on the Cookies tab, then Un-check the "Remove private header information" box, click on the OK button at the bottom and see if that allows the graphics you are referring to from being blocked (see important note about the browser cache below). You can experiment with the settings under the tab for Ad Blocking (Ads to Block) also. If you have Mobile Code Control enabled Under Privacy > Main > Mobile Code Control can also block some ad images from being viewed. You should uncheck the Mobile Code Control button temporarily to see if that helps you view the banner ad graphics that you want to view. One important note is that you might have to flush (empty) your web browser cache before these ZASS privacy settings changes you made take effect since the browser will retain the information from the way the web pages previously loaded.

Next, If you find any of these general privacy settings that you just changed temporarily do allow you to view the graphics on that site you frequently visit, then what you can do is go under Privacy > Main > Site List and ADD the actual web site that you are having trouble with (i.e. www.websitename.com) then place a green check across the items on the menu for the various privacy settings that enabled you to view the graphics for that particular trusted site (Mobile Code, Cookie Control, Web Bugs, Private Header). Only unblock the privacy items (by having a green check mark) that you need in order to view the trusted site properly and leave the rest of the privacy items at their default setting (green check or red X). You can also right mouse click anywhere horizontally on those web site settings and then left click on Options and bring up other custom settings to configure only for that particular trusted web site you added to the Site List (these settings look similar to the general privacy settings you changed before but only apply to that one trusted site you added). Make sure you empty the browser cache again if you are re-viewing the same trusted site to test your changes.

Finally, you can go back into the general settings and Re-Enable the general settings for those privacy settings that you previously Un-checked under Privacy > Main > Cookie Control tab, Custom Settings button (and Ad-Blocking tab). This way you are protected with privacy for all sites using those general settings but you are using custom privacy settings for that Trusted Site that you ADDED to the Privacy > Site List. This is a safer way of configuring your privacy settings since you only disable the privacy protection for your trusted sites while having the more restrictive privacy settings enabled for all other web sites. The main disadvantage of doing this is that it requires some time configuring the customized privacy settings for the first time for each trusted site you frequently visit but you only need to configure it one time for each site that you trust (or just the trusted sites that you have trouble viewing). Please post back with your results and if you have any more questions for the forum contributors.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 12-20-2006 04:38 AM

Thread Information