Thread: Email from a safe sender sent to ZA junk email folder

jnk Guest

Default Email from a safe sender sent to ZA junk email folder

Regularly, email from a source I have identified as a safe sender is automatically transfered to the Outlook ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder.
    How can I tell ZA Security Suite that emails from senders in my address book should _never_ be treated as spam?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Email from a safe sender sent to ZA junk email folder

Check if it's the Outlook or ZA anti-spam filter doing it. What version of Outlook are you using?

zaswing Guest

Jerusalem, How do you check Outlook vs ZA doing it? I assumed everything is taken care of by ZA and always wondered about the relevance Outlook junk filter patches. If this hijacking of a thread not allowed in this instance, please delete my message, but I thought it fits the question well

jnk Guest

I'm using Outlook 2003.
    It's ZoneAlarm doing it, I believe. The Outlook junk email folder is called
    "Junk E-mail", but the email I'm referring to ends up in the "ZoneAlarm Junk Mail" folder.

That's pretty clear it's ZA then!
    Old versions of Outlook and any version of Outlook Express has no spam filter.

Click on E-mail Protection
    I assume Junk Mail filter is set to ON, so click on Advanced.

Add your friend's address to the Allowed under People!
    Check what the other settings are - if the address is under Blocked, then remove it from there.

FOR ZASUITEUSER!
    The junk mail filter mailbox name usually tells you if say Norton's created it, or ZA did. If no recognized commercial name in the folder name, then it probably belongs to Outlook itself.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 01-08-2007 10:44 PM

jnk Guest

Thank you, "Jerusalem".
    Unfortunately the email address was already in the People-->Allowed tab, and it is not in the People-->Blocked tab.
    That is why I think there is an error with ZA.

I guess go through the rest of tabs in the Advanced button - and check those.Next to People! is another tab for blocking out entire domains - see if you're friend's address night be affect by that.

jnk Guest

Hi Jerusalem. Thanks again.
    Unfortunately the companies & lists tabs are all blank, and I can't see anything in the other tabs that might help. However the reports state that 3 emails have been blocked due to a "blocked list" rule. I don't think I've ever
    defined any blocked lists, and the emails that have been deleted might be defined as a "list"... The mystery remains. However it is clear that the sender is in the "Allowed People" list and not in any blocked list that I can see.
    Ooops... I've just noticed that I have a "rule" that sends some email to the ZA junk email folder. This rule is almost certainly responsible for the unwanted behaviour. I'll turn this rule off and see how things go. My apologies if I have inadvertantly wasted your time.
    (btw it would be great if ZA could add a string to the subject line of any suspect email so I could get a better "handle" on email that ZA defines as spam so that I can apply "rules" more accurately)

That's alright, you fixed the issue (or found the cause), that's what counts in the end.

Thread Information