Thread: Junk E-Mail Filter Takes It's Sweet Time

quinoas Guest

Default Junk E-Mail Filter Takes It's Sweet Time

I like the junk e-mail filter in ZASS 7 but I'm not using it, and here's why:

Whenever I open Outlook Express 6 (running on XP Home SP 2) the junk e-mail filter opens a window...and sits there...and sits there...and finally runs some type of scan. Until the scan is complete I can't do a thing with Outlook Express - it won't respond to mouse clicks.

The window is doing who-knows-what for 10-12 seconds, and then the scan itself takes a few more seconds, so from the time I open Outlook Express until the time I can actually use it can be upwards of 15 seconds, every time. I find this unacceptable, so I turned off the junk e-mail filter.

[I use instead CA Anti-Spam, which is just Qurb re-badged. Hopefully CA won't mess with it.]

It's not like I have so much mail in Outlook Express. Is there some setting in the junk e-mail filter that I might have gotten wrong? Why does it take so long to get started?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

quinoas Guest

Default Re: Junk E-Mail Filter Takes It's Sweet Time

Here's the information I got from Zone Alarm's 'Instant Support':

"The Junk E-mail Filter, provided by Mail Frontier, uses several methods to identify and protect you from spam and potentially dangerous e-mail. It learns about your system as time goes on, and it also uses and shares a database of known junk email. At certain times (such as peak hours) connection to the server may be slower."

Well, that explains it. There's nothing I can do about the time needed for ZASS to connect with Mail Frontier's server. Of course, if I were to do without those services...for example, if I were to rely instead on my whitelist...I wouldn't have to connect to Mail Frontier's server.

I'll try it and let you know.

quinoas Guest

Well, no dice. There's no way to prevent Mail Frontier from trying to access its servers. At least, not without hacking the program, and I don't do that. So, unfortunately, off goes the junk e-mail filter and back to CA anti-spam.

When/if Zone Alarm changes its junk email filter you can be sure I'll try again.

The current ZA 7.0.302.000 uses mailfrontier too, so no luck - stick to your own anti-spam if that's what you want.I don't ZA anti-spam either.

Message Edited by Jeruselem on 02-18-2007 01:44 PM

Thread Information