Thread: ZA spam filter claims it detected 5 junk messages today, but the ZA junk folders are empty?

troruud Guest

Default ZA spam filter claims it detected 5 junk messages today, but the ZA junk folders are empty?

Hi,The dedicated spam folders ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail, ZoneAlarm Junk Mail and ZoneAlarm Phishing Mail are all empty, despite the
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite spam filter in Outloook Express 6 claims it has detected 5 junk messages so far,
    today
    . Since I know from other spam filtering programs I've tried, that the spam detection is
    usually error prone, I don't like that I'm unable to check what the ZA Security Suite
    perceives as junk mail.
    Could there be, some settings I've overlooked? And where have the 5 alleged
    junk messages gone?RgdsT.RuudNorway

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: ZA spam filter claims it detected 5 junk messages today, but the ZA junk folders are empty?

For starters-<hr>

1. How can I tell if Junk email is actually being filtered?
    2. Will ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam work with Outlook or Outlook Express rules?
    3. Will ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filter more than one email account?
    4. How do I configure ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam to work with Hotmail?
    5. How long does junk mail stay in the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail and ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail Folders? How do I change the duration?
    6. What does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam do with the mail it filters?
    7. Which mail clients does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam support?
    8. Is ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam IMAP compatible?
    9. Which languages does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam support?
    10. Why isn't ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filtering my sub-folders?
    11. Why am I unable to forward mail?
    12. How do I get back the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam folders after they have been deleted?
    13. How do I make ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam folders available offline?
    14. How do I Un-junk accidentally junked good mail?
    15. Why is email arriving in my inbox even though it is on the Blocked list?
    16. Does email ever leave my machine?
    17. How do I disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for Outlook Express?
    18. How do I disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for Outlook?
    19. How do I re-scan email that was received when an application was not enabled?
    20. How do I import Contacts?
    21. How do I configure Outlook Wireless from the &quot;Settings&quot; Tab?

<a target="_blank"></a>1. How can I tell if Junk email is actually being filtered?

There are several ways to verify that ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is doing its job.

1. Make sure ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is launching correctly whenthe Outlook program is opened.<ul>[*]A ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam splash screen informs you that ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam has launched and is ready to filter mail should appear.[*]The ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam toolbar with the Junk and Un-Junk buttons should be visible.[/list]

2. The amount of spam showing up in your inbox should have decreased significantly once you installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

3. All mail filtered by ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is sent to one of three folders:<ul>[*]ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder[*]ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail folder[*]ZoneAlarm Fraudulent Mail folder (within the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder)[/list]

Check the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder to see if ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam has moved any mail into the folder.

<a target="_blank"></a>2. Will ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam work with Outlook or Outlook Express rules?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam only filters email as it enters your inbox. If you use Outlook or Outlook Express rules to send email to folders as it is received, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam will not see the email and, therefore, will not filter it.

<a target="_blank"></a>3. Will ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filter more than one email account?

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam will filter multiple email accounts as long as all the email accounts are directed to the same inbox.

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filters one POP3 inbox. In environments with multiple POP3 accounts with multiple inboxes, only the default inbox will be filtered.

This parameter does not apply to Hotmail or IMAP accounts. The customer can have multiple accounts with their own inboxes when using Hotmail or IMAP within Outlook Express.

<a target="_blank"></a>4. How do I configure ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam to work with Hotmail?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam supports Hotmail only when it is used with Outlook Express. If you have a Hotmail account, add it to Outlook Express as any other email account.
    1. Under the &quot;Tools&quot; menu, select &quot;Accounts&quot;
    2. Click the &quot;Add&quot; button and select &quot;Mail&quot;
    3. Follow the instruction for adding a new account. When an address ending in @hotmail.com is specified, Outlook Express will recognize it as a Web-based account and fill out the server information automatically. When finished, there will be a number of Web-specific options, including downloading the Hotmail folder structure. Once completed, re-start Outlook Express.

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam also supports Yahoo! through Outlook and Outlook Express when Outlook and Outlook Express are accessed using POP3. However, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam does not presently work with the AOL client.

<a target="_blank"></a>5. How long does junk mail stay in the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail and ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail Folders? How do I change the duration?

To view / change the number of days email sits in the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail and ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail folders, bring up the ZoneAlarm configuration screen in Outlook by clicking on the words &quot;ZoneAlarm Options&quot; and selecting &quot;Configure Preferences&quot; from the drop down menu. To access the ZoneAlarm configuration screen in Outlook Express, click on the words &quot;ZoneAlarm Options&quot; in the toolbar towards the upper left corner of the email client. Click on the &quot;Settings&quot; tab option.

Here the Junk Mail Folder Settings field allows the customer to determine the number of days that email will remain in the folders before being sent to the Deleted Items folder. The default for both folders is 180 days with a range of 1 10,000 days for the Junk ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder and a range of 7 10,000 days for the ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail folder.

<a target="_blank"></a>6. What does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam do with the mail it filters?

Known or suspected junk mail messages are moved to either the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder or the ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail folder. Fraudulent messages are sent to the ZoneAlarm Fraudulent Mail folder.

The ZoneAlarm Junk folder contains all email ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam has determined to be spam.

The ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam Challenged folder holds all email that ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam has challenged. Once an accurate response to an email challenge is received, the original email is delivered to the inbox.

Using the Settings panel, the customer is able to determine how long mail stays in both of these folders before being sent to the Deleted Items folder. The default is 180 days.

The ZoneAlarm Fraudulent Mail folder contains all email ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam has detected as fraud. ZoneAlarm strongly recommends that the customer does not reply to these messages directly.

<a target="_blank"></a>7. Which mail clients does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam support?

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam works with Microsoft Outlook 2000, 2002(XP), 2003 and Outlook Express 5.0, 5.5 and 6.0. ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is compatible with Hotmail, MSN, and other email systems when used with Outlook Express.

<a target="_blank"></a>8. Is ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam IMAP compatible?

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is IMAP compatible if used within Outlook Express.

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is not IMAP compatible when using Outlook.

<a target="_blank"></a>9. Which languages does ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam support?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam supports the English version of Outlook and Outlook Express.

<a target="_blank"></a>10. Why isn't ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filtering my sub-folders?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam will only filter email entering the inbox.

<a target="_blank"></a>11. Why am I unable to forward mail?

Mail forwarding requires that an actual email address must exist and that the SMTP settings are known (and whether it requires password authentication).

If the test email is not successful, verify that the &quot;My server requires authentication&quot; box is not checked if it does not actually require a password.

Verify that the SMTP server name settings are correct (check with the ISP if not sure).

<a target="_blank"></a>12. How do I get back the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam folders after they have been deleted?

All mail filtered by ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam is sent to one of three folders: the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam Challenged Mail folder, the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam Junk folder and the ZoneAlarm Fraudulent Mail folder. If any of these folders have accidentally been removed, just restart Outlook or Outlook Express to get them back.

<a target="_blank"></a>13. How do I make ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam folders available offline?

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam supports Outlook in both its connected and offline modes. To enable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for working offline, first configure the two ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam mail folders installed by the product to be available both online and offline (they default to being available only when online).

Open Outlook:<ul>[*]Make sure Folder list is visible so the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam Junk and ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam Challenge folders are visible.[*]Right-click on the folder to bring up the folder's properties.[*]Click on the tab called Synchronization.[*]In the section labeled &quot;This folder is available,&quot; click on the radio button labeled &quot;When offline or online&quot;.[*]Click OK.[/list]

Once this is done, the ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam filters will work when Outlook is launched in its offline mode.

<a target="_blank"></a>14. How do I Un-junk accidentally junked good mail?

Undoing is easy. When the Junk button is clicked, the message is moved to the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder. To undo, select the email in the ZoneAlarm Junk Mail folder and click on Un-Junk. This will move the email to the inbox, remove the email address from the block list, and add it to the allow list.

<a target="_blank"></a>15. Why is email arriving in my inbox even though it is on the Blocked list?

If spam is received from an address that is blocked, verify that the address is not listed on the People Allowed list or the domain listed on the Companies Allowed list.

Check this by clicking on the ZoneAlarm Options button in the ZoneAlarm Toolbar for Outlook Express, and by clicking on the ZoneAlarm Options button in Outlook and selecting &quot;Configure Preferences&quot;. Check for the email address and/or domain under the &quot;People&quot; and &quot;Companies&quot; allow and block tabs.

<a target="_blank"></a>16. Does email ever leave my machine?

Privacy is extremely important to us. None of the email (legitimate or Junk) ever leaves your computer without permission.

When an email is identified as Junk by clicking on the Junk Button, the email message is moved to the private Junk folder on the computer. ZoneAlarm then creates a set of thumbprints (irreversible signatures) that are used to look for other similar spam in the user community. Thumbprints do not contain any personally identifiable information, thus ensuring that the email messages are completely private.

<a target="_blank"></a>17. How do I disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for Outlook Express?

To disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam in Outlook Express (but not Outlook), use the following process:<ul>[*]Right-click on the ZoneAlarm icon in the system tray[*]Select &quot;Restore ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Center&quot;[*]Click on &quot;Email Protection&quot; from the menu on the left side of the screen[*]In the bottom section that reads &quot;Junk Mail Filter,&quot; click the &quot;Off&quot; radio button to disable the application[*]Click &quot;OK&quot; on the screen that follows and close the Outlook and / or Outlook Express email client[*]Open the Outlook email client. The ZoneAlarm toolbar should no longer be seen at the top[*]Select &quot;Tools&quot; from the Outlook menu[*]Select &quot;Options&quot;[*]Click on the &quot;Other&quot; tab[*]Click on the &quot;Advanced Options&quot; button in the General section[*]Click on the &quot;COM Add-ins&quot; button near the bottom of the screen[*]Place a checkmark in the box in front of &quot;MailBuddy Outlook Addin&quot;[*]Click &quot;OK&quot; until the Outlook email screen is visible[*]The ZoneAlarm toolbar in the email client should now be visible[/list]

Note: The &quot;Junk Mail Filter&quot; screen in the ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Center&quot; will display &quot;off&quot; even
    though the Outlook email client WILL be filtering junk mail and the Outlook Express client WILL NOT be filtering.

<a target="_blank"></a>18. How do I disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam for Outlook?

To disable ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam in Outlook (but not Outlook Express), use the following process:<ul>[*]Right-click on the ZoneAlarm icon in the system tray[*]Select &quot;Restore ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Center&quot;[*]Click on &quot;Email Protection&quot; from the menu on the left side of the screen[*]In the bottom section that reads &quot;Junk Mail Filter&quot;, click the &quot;On&quot; radio button to enable the application[*]Click &quot;OK&quot; on the screen that follows and close the Outlook and / or Outlook Express email client[*]Open the Outlook email client. The ZoneAlarm toolbar should no longer be seen at the top[*]Select &quot;Tools&quot; from the Outlook menu[*]Select &quot;Options&quot;[*]Click on the &quot;Other&quot; tab[*]Click on the &quot;Advanced Options&quot; button in the General section[*]Click on the &quot;COM Add-ins&quot; button near the bottom of the screen[*]Remove the checkmark in the box in front of &quot;MailBuddy Outlook Addin&quot;[*]Click &quot;OK&quot; until the Outlook email screen is visible. ZoneAlarm toolbar in the Outlook email client should not be seen[*]Close Outlook[*]Open Outlook Express[*]The ZoneAlarm toolbar in the Outlook Express email client should now be visible[/list]

Note: The &quot;Junk Mail Filter&quot; screen in the &quot;ZoneAlarm Security Suite Control Center&quot; will display &quot;on&quot; even though the Outlook email client WILL NOT be filtering junk mail and the Outlook Express client WILL be filtering.

<a target="_blank"></a>19. How do I re-scan email that was received when an application was not enabled?

Use when an application has been / was disabled and previous email needs to be scanned and sorted. By marking the e-mails as unread, closing Outlook, and then deleting the appropriate file, a re-scan can be forced.<ul>[*]Start Outlook or Outlook Express[*]Mark the e-mails that are to be rescanned as unread[*]Close Outlook or Outlook Express[*]Delete one of the following directories, depending on whether Outlook or Outlook Express is used[*]If Outlook Express is used:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\MailFrontier\oelog[*]If Outlook is used:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\MailFrontier\otlog[/list]

<a target="_blank"></a>20. How do I import Contacts?

On initial installation, contacts listed in the email client are loaded into the allowed (white) list.

These contacts will only be added on initial startup. It is strongly recommended to &quot;accept&quot; this on installation so the process can complete. In order to add contacts after installation, the application will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

<a target="_blank"></a>21. How do I configure Outlook Wireless from the &quot;Settings&quot; Tab?

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam will forward filtered mail to a wireless device as long as the wireless device has a valid email address associated with it. Attachments will not be forwarded to the wireless device.

Click on the ZoneAlarm Options button in the ZoneAlarm Toolbar for Outlook Express, or click on the ZoneAlarm Options button in Outlook and select &quot;Configure Preferences&quot;.<ul>[*]Click on &quot;Settings&quot;[*]Click the white check box in the Wireless Device Support field and click on &quot;Configure&quot;[*]Enter the email address to which the email should be sent[*]Click on &quot;Email Server&quot;[*]Enter in a valid SMTP server name. Check &quot;My server requires authentication&quot; if the server requires this. (If this is checked when it is not required, the mail will fail to be forwarded.)[*]Click the &quot;Send Test Email&quot; button to verify the settings are correct[*]Click OK<hr>Then there is the Official ZA Users Guide - big PDF files - needs Adobe software to read - click on the right version for yourself - check chapter on 'E-mail protection' and other chapters on common settings -
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...mp;lid=ps_zass
    . NaiveMelody NYC 3-9-07~9:57pm e.s.t. - Walking on sunshine - Rocker's Revenge[/list]

Thread Information