Thread: mantispm.exe (junk mail filter) today started stopping Outlook Express from running

Default mantispm.exe (junk mail filter) today started stopping Outlook Express from running

I've been running ZoneAlarm for a couple of months now with junk email filtering. Today, Outlook express would not start. I tried booting into safe mode and Outlook Express ran. So through process of elimination, taking several hours, I've identified the problem. If I disable the mantispm.exe process, Outlook Express runs. Also, if I just turn Junk Email filtering off in Zone Alarm - then Outlook Express runs. Windows XP Media Center PC.

Also, I could not see a way in the ZoneAlarm interface to manually check for updates - how do we do this. Also - how do check the version in the interface ??? Don't see a version on the box either.

Now that I've pulled all of today's email without junk mail filterering let's see what happens when I turn the Junk Mail Filtering back on .... restarting Outlook Express .... no Outlook still won't run with Junk mail turned on - only error message is ZoneAlarm message that error is being reported to Microsoft. Problem just started today.

Suggestions - really would like to use junk mail filtering.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Junk Filter back up after a couple of days

I'm relieved to say that My Junk filter (mantispm.exe) is back operational after a couple of days. Can't say that I did anything other than that the hours to identify the program that was stopping Outlook Express. Did do a manual update today - maybe the offender was fixed - maybe unrelated.

Glad to be back up.

sandave Guest

Default Re: mantispm.exe (junk mail filter) today started stopping Outlook Express from running

This has been an ongoing issue with Mail Frontier for as long as I've been following these boards. Works fine for awhile, and then suddenly when you try to start Outlook Express, you get the dreaded "Outlook Express has experienced a problem and needs to close . . ." You then have to click through a series of dialogs (and I always click "yes" about sending the error to Microsoft). Then the real problem starts: Dr. Watson then crashes and locks up the computer. You (like me) stumbled upon the solution (and you don't need to go to Safe Mode). Hit ctl-alt-del, close out "mantispam.exe" and then close out all instances of Dr. Watson (there are several - hint: start from the bottom). Outlook Express will now start and run fine except for Mail Frontier. Mysteriously, after a couple of days, Mail Frontier will magically start running OK again and you won't have the problem for a couple of more months.

Restarting the computer or doing a system restore does not solve the problem. You have to manually close out mantispam.

Why Zonelabs is unable or unwilling to solve this issue (or to even address it) is beyond me. I can't even find the issue on it's so-called "instant support".

Default Re: mantispm.exe (junk mail filter) today started stopping Outlook Express from running

SanDave - thank you so much for your reply. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one in the world that has encountered this problem. Are there other posts in the forum that discuss the mantispm.exe issue? I didn't see them, but I'll look again.

Love these message boards, now consumers can find other consumers with the same issues !

Oh I remember now - how the heck do we search this forum - I must be overlooking a link somewhere ??

hongkongusers Guest

Hi Sandave,
    Would you be able to give me some tips on how to find these instances of Dr. Watson? I closed the mantispam.exe and checked runnning processes but dr watson wasn't listed there and I really don't know where to look.
    Thanks,Craig

Default Dr Watson

I think that Dr Watson is a Windows XP process that starts up when there is a problem. One place for info is the following Microsoft site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308538

Thread Information