Thread: Junk E-mail and Anti-Fraud Filter runs whenever I start Outlook

teb728 Guest

Default Junk E-mail and Anti-Fraud Filter runs whenever I start Outlook

Ever since since I upgraded to ZAISS 7, "Junk E-mail and Anti-Fraud Filter" runs whenever I start Outlook -- even though E-mail Protection > Main > Junk E-mail Filter is set to Off. How do I stop it from running? Outlook takes long enough to start as it is. (Yes, I know I can press Cancel, but I shouldn't have to do that.)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

teb728 Guest

Default Re: Junk E-mail and Anti-Fraud Filter runs whenever I start Outlook

Another problem, probably related:Ever since the (up?)grade whenever I open an Outlook
    message, the MailFrontOutlookAddin toolbar is shown. I can configure the toolbar to be
    hidden or even delete it, but the next time I open a message, it's back. How can I get rid of it for good?

teb728 Guest

Aha, I think I have discovered the solution to both of the problem I reported in the posts above:There was also a ZA toolbar on the Outlook application window (as opposed to the message inspector windows I mentioned above).I hid that toolbar and restarted Outlook, expecting the toolbar to come back. It didn't come back, and neither did either of the other two problems.

jn Guest

Ok, That solves the toolbar problem, but how do
    I remove the junk mail filter entirely?
    I am quite happy with my existing junk mail program and can see no way to either not install or uninstall this feature in an otherwise excellent firewall.

teb728 Guest

Let me answer that more generally:<ul>[*]If you can start Outlook, a clean way to turn off (not remove) the functionality is: In Outlook select Tools &gt; Options &gt; Other &gt; Advanced Options &gt; COM Add-Ins. And uncheck or remove MailBuddy Outlook Addin.[*]I understand that people with free ZASS can t start Outlook. The solution for them (other than uninstalling) is to hide the MailFrontier folder. Ways to do that supposedly include: (I haven t tried these myself.)<ul>[*]Editing the registry as described at http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=46560[*]Renaming the folder as described at http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=66453[/list][*]If you feel strongly you want to actually remove the software from your hard drive, you might try both editing the registry and renaming the folder. Now if everything still works, you might delete the folder.[/list]

UPDATE I think I found a one-size-fits-all solution:
    From Windows
    Control Panel run Add or Remove Programs. One of the installed programs is MailFrontier Desktop. I'll bet that if you uninstalled it, that would solve everything.

Message Edited by teb728 on 03-31-200703:57 PM

jn Guest

many thanks for that.
    I am running free ZA, not free ZASS and outlook opens fine.
    I have followed your instructions and all is now well.
    Shame there is no option in the install to not install the junk mail filter.
    Thanks again, bye

alysscarlet Guest

teb728 suggested:
    &quot;UPDATE I think I found a one-size-fits-all solution:
    From Windows Control Panel run Add or Remove Programs. One of the installed programs is MailFrontier Desktop. I'll bet that if you uninstalled it, that would solve everything.&quot;

Alas, I am using Free ZoneAlarm 7 and there is no MailFrontier Desktop listed as installed under 'Add or Remove Programs' despite the fact it is crashing my Outlook on every launch.

Thread Information