Thread: Junk email filter not working on sites such as xxx@lwgqa.unwanteddomain.com

alexkm Guest

Default Junk email filter not working on sites such as xxx@lwgqa.unwanteddomain.com

I have just started getting (unwanted and unsolicited) emails from these two sites...they seem to be using an random set of characters after the "@", as in the above examples, the lwgga and nxndl, presumably to fool the junk email filtering. I tried adding just the last two bits of the domain (i.e. .unwanteddomain.com etc) to the junk email filter but it doesn't seem to work...

xxx@lwgqa.unwanteddomain.com

Anyone had any success?

Would be good if you could put *.unwanteddomain.com as a filter...

Alex.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Alexkm on 05-21-200703:16 AM

Default Re: Junk email filter not working on sites such as xxx@lwgqa.foo.bar

Hi!
    while you can't do it with the ZASS junk mail filter, I suppose you can easily build a custom rule in outlook, set to find in headers whatever ***.com you need tofilter.

Fax

Message Edited by FrereOP on 05-20-2007 03:13 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Where are the addresses that you quote? In the "From" field or in the "Reply-to" or "Return-Path" field?

If this is really just SPAM, then the e-mail might be originating from anywhere and the addresses forged. Check the header of the e-mail and locate the last "Received: from" field (there may be more than one but you need the last one). This will give you the name and corresponding IP address of the computer that originally sent the e-mail. Check to see if your e-mails are all coming from one IP address.

If they are you can set up a filter in Outlook to block e-mail with that IP address (or a suitable range of addresses) in the header.

Better still, report the SPAM to SpamCop who will check the routing of the e-mail and report the abuse to the appropriate ISP.

BTW, please don't post e-mail addresses or your post and the thread will be deleted for breaching forum guidelines..

Message Edited by FrereOP on 05-20-2007 09:11 AM

Message Edited by FrereOP on 05-20-2007 03:12 PM

alexkm Guest

Default Re: Junk email filter not working on sites such as xxx@lwgqa.unwanteddomain.com

Thanks friends.

This is the header info from the most recent (some bits taken out to satisfy the rules of the forum):

Return-Path: ( xxx at domain.com )
    Received: from random-chars.domain.com (random-chars.domain.com [x.x.x.x])

The junk filter does not seem to work for "domain.com" as the preceeding "random-chars" seems to fool it...

As mentioned before, it would be good if ZA allowed junk filters for *.domain.com

Thanks for your help and advice...

Al.

Message Edited by Alexkm on 05-21-200703:16 AM

alexkm Guest

Thanks...not sure how to edit the header of my original post...any help appreciated, or maybe I should start a new thread?

Alex.

Hi!better to start a new thread. You should be able to edit you messages, under message options --> edit.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

alexkm Guest

Done...thanks!

Al.

Thread Information