Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Filtering has stopped filtering, but Icons are present

Default Email Filtering has stopped filtering, but Icons are present

Strange problem today. Outlook Express 6 - I have the email filtering buttons are showing, but with dozens of spam emails received today, not one message has been filtered.

Perhaps either an update had broken the Zone Alarm email filtering or perhaps some other program or event has managed to disable it.

Options show no email received today, but I've received lots - this may be the key - how do we verify that a given incoming mail source is still scanned? Or is it by outlook inbox? Zone Alarm control center says email filtering is on. ... I'll turn off and on again. OK turned filtering off stopped Outlook Express, started, stopped, turned filtering back on, started Outlook Express - have buttons, will report back if it is filtering automatically or if manual scan does anything.

Has anyone seen this issue. Is there a way to do a manual scan? - oh I see - zone alarm option dropdown - when I get more spam in the inbox, I'll report back if the manual scan is doing anyting - have to wait until I receive more spam (won't be long), scan of deleted folder looks like manual scan is working, the problem may be with automatic.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Email Filtering has stopped filtering, but Icons are present

Try turning off the junk filter, then reboot windows. Make sure its still off, and if it is, turn it back on and restart OE and see if it is working. If it didn't stay off after the reboot, let me know.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Default Not detecting that email is being received

I've turned the filtering off, stopped and started Outlook Express, turned email filtering off and on while rebooting. Everything shows as expected in terms of the junk mail icons displayed.

This morning I received my usual couple of dozen emails - most are spam. Outlook Express inbox showed the email being received, the Zone Alarm Junk mail small window showed for a very short period of time (much shorter than normal), so the Junk mail seems to be running. However, not one piece of mail was moved to the Junk folder (in the past over half were movef) and the daily Zone Alarm Junk Mail stats shows 0 emails received and 0 emails identified as junk for the day (dozens were actually received today).

Ah - here is something ....

When I manually scan the inbox, nothing appears to happen or it happens so fast that nothing shows. Automatic scan of inbox also does not appear to be happening at all as discussed above. HOWEVER, when I created a folder called aa_junk and manually moved 18 junk mail pieces to the folder and then manually scanned the aa_junk folder, 12 of the 18 junk mail pieces were identified as spam by Zone Alarm and the small Zone Alarm junk mail filtering window showed for a normal amount of time.

The Junk mail issue seems to be limited to the inbox. Neither automatic or manual scans of the inbox seem to flag any email as spam or even record email as received.

Ideas? Suggestions? The symptoms are pretty specific now, anyone else see this happen and if so, did you solve?

Thanks - I miss my automatic spam filter.

Default Re: Not detecting that email is being received

Strange.Try deleting the spam filter from the program list in ZA, and then start up OE and give spamfilter the permissions it asks for.

Default Wonder what program to delete from ZA

I'm not sure I'm in the right place. In in the ZA program control programs tab.

There are 5 programs listed starting with Zone Alarm:
    ZoneAlarm Client
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite-1025-English - GLB11.tmp
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite-1025-English - zasuitesetup_70_337_000.en.exe
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite-1025-English - GLB5C.tmp
    ZoneAlarm Updating Client

Is one of the above what you are referring to?

The Junk mail filter does seem to run in that the buttons are present, there is sometimes a quick processing window when lots of emails come in and manual scan of a folder other than inbox does seem to work. Either the scan of the inbox never runs or if it does it never finds any new emails or spam. If I move the email to a different folder and do a manual scan, it seems to work fine.

Default Best way to uninstall and reinstall

I'm wondering if I need to uninstall and reinstall. If so, what is the best way to download the current ZA suite. .... looks like I can't just copy the license number off from the information page in ZA ... this would be tough to write down correctly. .... maybe I have an email or might be on the original disk.

Default Re: Best way to uninstall and reinstall

Hold off on the reinstall for now. That is a last resort kind of thing. Spam Filter should be listed under "Spam Filter"

Default Deleting Spam Filter and Re-establishing from program control

I see it.. just called spam filter. There is an envelope icon with a little read circle with a line through it - wonder if the red circle means anything. Trust level has 3 bars and access trusted and internet has 2 checks. Let's see, spam filter is set to on, better close outlook express I suppose, right click and remove spam filter program from the ZA program list (not doing anything useful anyway). Here goes start outlook express (did not reboot), left junk mail filter setting to on, interesting outlook express died and will not start. Turning junk mail filtering off, but first think I'd better send this message. Will report back.... after trying different settings and rebooting.

Default Re: Deleting Spam Filter and Re-establishing from program control

Just FYI, the red circle, its just part of the icon.

kalab Guest

Default Re: Email Filtering has stopped filtering, but Icons are present

Dave, I am having exactly the same problem as you have described.
    Can you advise if you have manage to reactivate your e-mail filtering?
    I cannot find the 'options' button you mention to activate the

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information