Thread: unknown email addresses keep showing up in my Allowed List...

squirekat Guest

Default unknown email addresses keep showing up in my Allowed List...

Hi there,
    Something odd is going on in my Allowed List...Every couple of days I check the list and keep finding email addresses that are neither in my Address Book, nor are they persons who I have responded to.How is it possible for these bogus addresses to continually insert themselves into my Allowed List?This morning when I checked there were 12 new bogus email addresses I had to delete and I know tomorrow there will be more. It never seems to stop.Could it be that they are added to the Allowed List whenever I click on "Report Junk Email"?
    BTW, a LOT of junk email is slipping through the filter (and I have all sliders set to max).The ones that are slipping through are the virus-containing email about receiving an ecard "from a friend" or "from a family member" and
    bogus penny stock recommendations in the form of an email with no text but a
    .pdf attachment, that when opened, urges you to buy some **bleep**py stock that is headed into the dumpster.I'm getting fairly frustrated with the poor performance of ZoneAlarm's spam filter and wondering if there isn't something on my end that I'm missing, although I don't that's the case.
    Any help/suggestions (even an explanation of why this is happening)
    would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,Mark

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

squirekat Guest

Default Re: unknown email addresses keep showing up in my Allowed List...

Well, I've answered my own question. Another spam email just slipped through the ZA spam email
    filter (the 10th one today and it's only 11am). I noted the return address and after clicking "Report Junk Email" I checked my allowed list. There was the address of the spam sender, newly added to my Allowed List. I'm really becoming disenchanted with ZoneAlarm "Security" Suite. It's full of bugs and and ZoneLabs is slower than a snail in addressing, much less fixing, them. I was with Norton for years out of blind loyalty (I know Symantec's CEO, John Thompson). Finally I couldn't take it anymore and started looking around for a replacement. ZoneAlarm came highly recommended and from all my research it seemed like the best. I purchased it when it was still in version 6. Once I upgraded to 7 it has been nothing but problems. X-(
    Oops! Here comes another spam email slipping through the filter into my Inbox. This particular spam is well known to contain a virus. The text is always a variation of the same theme. Approximately 6 per day of these virus-containing emails get through the ZA spam filter. If you click on the link in the email it grabs all the email addresses in your Contacts Folder and sends the same email to all your friends. Here's the latest variant...

"Hi. Class mate has sent you an ecard.

See your card as often as you wish during the next 15 days.

SEEING YOUR CARD

If your email software creates links to Web pages, click on your card's direct www address below while you are connected to the Internet:

[b][[virus-containing link omitted here

Thread Information