Thread: web mail security

grumpyoldman Guest

Default web mail security

Hello can anyone help me out please. Does Zone Alarm protect web mail, yahoo hotmail etc?

The reason I ask is have started to get a lot of phishing and suspect emails (since I was foolish enough to use Ebay without using a disposable address) so it s made me more conscious than ever about security.

Although email scanning has always been enabled, Zone Alarm never makes it s self known in relation to emails, its normally eager to tell me when it s done something clever, like questioning the use of new programmes or insisting that new Microsoft auto updates are dodgy!

I only ever get scanning from the on line email service provider virus protection when I want to open an attachment, nothing from ZA.

Likewise the on line filters can be operated fine, I am pretty sure that ZA will only filter mail operated through Outlook Express.

I am beginning to wonder if it also only protects emails from viruses and worms etc when routed through Outlook Express, (which I don t use) as that s the only system mentioned in the email security section.

I am due to renew my subscription shortly so would be grateful for any help to clarify the situation.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: web mail security

Hi!ZA junk/phishing filters only worksin Outlook. ZA will check for viruses "on access" regardless if you use outlook or not.In other words, known malware will be blocked even if you don't use Outlook.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

grumpyoldman Guest

Hi, Fax,
    Many thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Grumpyoldman.

You're welcomeCheers,Fax

tnandy Guest

Well, from ANOTHER grumpy old man, I'd like to know HOW to turn the dadgum filtering
    OFF of my Outlook Express.
    All it does is force me to go thru ANOTHER layer to delete the spams I get.....and to look for the ACTUAL emails from someone I did want to read that Zonealarm decided for some reason was spam.
    Personally, I resent getting an update of software and suddenly finding it has changed something like my mail program ( and must be interfering with it as well, since it seems to crash at odd times now ) AND HAVE NO EASY WAY TO SIMPLY TURN IT OFF.

It's enough to make me NOT renew what I considered an otherwise good program ( ZA ) .
    I HAVE tried the suggested link to change the registry.....the popup box appeared, I selected
    "run" and then rebooted after it ran....the only difference was I got a box that popped up on re-boot that said something like "You will have to open Outlook Express again to enable the spam filter".....WHICH WAS THE VERY THING I WAS TRYING TO GET RID OF !!!!!!!!
    and sure enough, on opening Outlook, it's right back.
    And now I've wasted another hour of my getting shorter life having to go thru this registration to access this forum.....hey....is it REALLY necessary to have a password with a digit, a capital letter, and at least 6 characters long....are we discussing national security here or is it just a simple user forum THAT OUGHT TO JUST BE WIDE OPEN instead of like a CIA website.....jeezzz
    Well, hopefully SOMEone can clue me in on how to fix this problem...and pass on to ZoneAlarm my frustrations.
    And keep it simple....I just want to know the time, not HOW to build a watch.

Zone Alarm Security Suite v7.0.337.000MS WinXP Home Version with SP2

Message Edited by Tnandy on 08-09-2007 06:44 AM

Hi!first of all ZA does not monitor this board, we are all users here.Did you tried to simply turn OFF the junk mail filter in the e-mail protection tab of your ZASS (with outlook shutdown)? This should be enough to disable the filter.Not sure now that you have run the registry fix if still this will work. The registry fix is only meant (see subject) to remove the junk mail filter from the FREE ZA version and not ZASS.Please contact directly ZA technical support at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform and open a support ticketFax

Thread Information