Thread: OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

nschroth Guest

Default OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

I have seen similar posts, but no resolutions.
    This started for me with ZASS 7.0 and is still happening even thru 7.0.462.Tech support has no clue and suggests trying the beta.
    The beta team will not answer my
    "has this been addressed" question, and I do not want to go off-support with the beta just for grins.
    Has anyone gotten ANY decent answer from ZA?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

nschroth Guest

Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

One Note:
    When I installed 7.0.462 and opened and immediately closed Outlook, the task did terminate.
    I though it was solved until I actually received and sent emails...It seems its OK until it does some filtering

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!PLEASE try the following solution and PLEASE let me know if it solves your issue, THANKS.To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that

this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

Hello SlyFox,
    Before I do this, I have gone through a complete uninstall directed by support (cleared folders manually, removed register settings, etc. since they suspected a sorruption problem.
    Is you suggestion along the same lines?
    If so, that wipe and re-instal jest last month started me with a completely CLEAN install.
    IT DID NOT HELP FIX THIS PROBLEM, which is obviously a bug in the Email Addin not releasing "something" when the client is stopped.
    Please let me know if what you propose is different before I go through all the re-establishing of program permissions again.
    Thanks.

Hi,I was not aware that you were told to complete specific instructions by Tech Support, as I did not see itin your original post. NO, don't bother completing mine then. What other security programs do you have installed on your computer, as I did not see any listed? SlyFox

6. Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

No other security programs...Win2k SP4 machine.Version 6. of ZASS did NOT have this problem...it started with 7.0, and has continued through 3 different updates.

When you say the Outlook. exe. Process never terminates. Are you referring to HANGING? The reason I am asking you, is the fact I was just on the Instant Support Forum and all they have in reference to your problem, is HANGING. Other than that, nothing that would help you with their knowledge base.SlyFox

8. Default Re: OUTLOOK.EXE process never terminates

Outlook performs properly, occasionally taking extra time to send or receive, but I wrote that off to the Spam Filtering.
    My issue is that when you close/shutdown/terminate my Outlook client, and it goes away as expected, the Task Manager still shows OUTLOOK.EXE running...I have checked up to 12 hours later, and it is still there!
    If you shutdown your machine, it complains about Outlook still being active (the old END PROCESS dialog).
    If you re-launch Outlook, the ZASS Spam Filter banner never shows, nor do the tool-bar addins,
    further proof that it thinks the filter is still running.
    It is an mostly an annoyance, as but most "bugs" areX-(
    I work with a product called "Surveyor" that puts machines in a corporate network into standby mode based upon server-based policy.
    One of the policy items
    allows you to designate any processes that, if running, means you do NOT want the box to go into standby...that is how I first noticed it, since Outlook is ALWAYS still running.
    Is is possible that most people do not notice this problem, but Zone Alarm should still fix the bug.
    They just do not seem to care.

wb5rue Guest

I first noticed this problem somewhere in V6 security suite.

The symptoms were that I would start outlook 2000 on win2k, do my email and exit.
    The next time I would start outlook I would get an error "The Operation failed."
    I could try again and it would work.
    When I upgraded to 2002 and XP
    the symptom was that outlook would seem to terminate but the next time I would start it outlook would start without asking me for my profile (I have multiple personalities on email).
    In a few seconds outlook would terminate on its own.
    I could start it again and it would ask for my profile.
    It continued when I upgraded to V7 and continues to this day.
    Sometimes it works just fine, terminating on command, but most of the time it does not.
    It seems to be tied to filtering (as someone suggested) if I receive no email then it terminates properly, if I receive even one email it will usually
    not.
    It's annoying to the point that if I log out with outlook "running in the background" the system forces the shutdown and makes outlook think that the PST file is corrupt the next time I start it.
    It scans the file but never needs to "repair."

nschroth Guest

Welcome to my nightmare.

It is a shame, but I even posted this problem to the BETA team, who asked for more environment details on 12/8/07.
    Since then, I have heard nothing.

I like Zone Alarm as a product, but
    when the only place to ask questions is in a user forum like this (no company technical posting site that I have found), it is scary.

This kind of I do not care attitude is why companies go out of business...at the very least, lose most of their customers.

Thread Information