Thread: Can't get ZA junk mail filter to work on Hotmail through Outlook 2002

kevinr Guest

Default Can't get ZA junk mail filter to work on Hotmail through Outlook 2002

I have been using Outlook Express for years. ZA Junk Mail worked perfectly on my POP email accounts, and my Hotmail account which I also collected through Outlook Express. I decided to switch to Outlook 2002. ZA's Junk Mail filter still works perfectly on my POP email accounts, but it doesn't work automatically on my Hotmail account through Outlook 2002. I have to select the Hotmail inbox and tell ZA to scan it. I am rather concered because my children have Hotmail accounts through Outlook and there is an awful lot of undesireable spam coming through Hotmail - it wasn't a problem in Outlook Express because ZA junk mail filter worked perfectly, but not in Outlook 2002. There is one thing I've noticed: when I used Outlook Express the program would do a send/receive on startup then after all the mail had been downloaded the ZA junk mail window would appear and it would report on the progress of scanning the various inboxes. But with Outlook 2002 the ZA junk mail window appears before Outlook 2002 does a send/receive. Is this the causeof the problem?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Can't get ZA junk mail filter to work on Hotmail through Outlook 2002

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...essage.id=8736<hr>

<a target="_blank"></a>4. How do I configure ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam to work with Hotmail?

Currently ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam supports Hotmail only when it is used with Outlook Express. If you have a Hotmail account, add it to Outlook Express as any other email account.
    1. Under the &quot;Tools&quot; menu, select &quot;Accounts&quot;
    2. Click the &quot;Add&quot; button and select &quot;Mail&quot;
    3. Follow the instruction for adding a new account. When an address ending in @hotmail.com is specified, Outlook Express will recognize it as a Web-based account and fill out the server information automatically. When finished, there will be a number of Web-specific options, including downloading the Hotmail folder structure. Once completed, re-start Outlook Express.

ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam also supports Yahoo! through Outlook and Outlook Express when Outlook and Outlook Express are accessed using POP3. However, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spam does not presently work with the AOL client.<hr>Filtering junk e-mail<a target="_blank"></a>

The Junk E-mail Filter is available in ZoneAlarm Security Suite.<a target="_blank"></a>

Use the junk e-mail filter to prevent unsolicited junk e-mail (commonly referred to as <a target="_blank">spam</a>) from cluttering your Inbox. The Junk E-mail filter supports Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express (both referred to in this document simply as &quot;Outlook&quot.<a target="_blank"></a>

During installation, Zone Labs security software adds the junk e-mail filter toolbar to your Outlook e-mail program's toolbar.<div align="left">Figure 7-2: The junk e-mail filter toolbar<div align="left"><a target="_blank"></a><div class="pNoteIcon">

<a target="_blank"></a><div class="pNotetext">If you have installed Zone Labs security software but the junk e-mail filter toolbar does not appear in your Outlook toolbar, right-click in your Outlook toolbar and choose ZoneAlarmOutlookAddin.<div class="pFigureTitle"><a target="_blank"></a>

The junk e-mail filter also adds three special folders to your Outlook folder list: ZoneAlarm Challenged Mail, ZoneAlarm Junk Mail, and ZoneAlarm Fraudulent Mail. When Zone Labs security software identifies an e-mail message as junk, fraudulent, or challenged, it puts the message in one of these folders. If you are using Outlook to access Hotmail, you must use the junk e-mail filter's spam blocking features and special folders instead of Hotmail's.<hr>For more info. right click ZA tray icon - see &quot;Help&quot; = this
    is your User Guide.
    Read chapters on E-mail Protection and Troubleshooting &gt;sub-chapter - Third-party software &gt; sub - E-mail programs.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 8-15-07 - Band Of Gold - Freda Payne

kevinr Guest

Default Re: Can't get ZA junk mail filter to work on Hotmail through Outlook 2002

NaiveMelody, thanks for your responce. I think ZA's inability to support Hotmail through Outlook is a significant weakness in the software and if it isn't fixed soon I won't be renewing ZA this year, I'll switch to someone who does support it. Do you know if ZA have any plans to fix this problem? Thanks, Kevin

Hi!I have no problems with hotmail account and outlook... are you a subscriber of hotmail+?Only if you are subscriber you can use outlook to access hotmail (been using outlook 2003 and outlook 2007)As soon as you access your hotmail inbox (via outlook) your messages are filtered by the junk mail filter and moved to the ZA junk mail folder...May be better to contact ZA technical support and report the issue: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kevinr Guest

Hi Fax, I'm not a hotmail subscriber, but I did sign up to hotmail years ago when it included free integration with Outlook and Outlook Express. I'll contact Zone Labs as you suggest. Thanks, Kevin

HI!as far as I know hotmail integration in Outlook works only if you are a subscriber.But I may be wrong... this is waht happened to me. I think you need to add another software called Outlook Collector or something similar to view hotmail free on your outlook.Cheers,Fax

kevinr Guest

Hi Fax, thanks for responding. My hotmail works perfectly in Outlook - my problem is that the hotmail inbox is not automatically scanned by ZA for junk mail. Regards, Kevin

Hi!strange... officially only subscribers can access hotmail via outlook unless you use an add-in...Anyway, you can contact ZA technical support at www.zonelabs.com/tsform may be they know more about it.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information