Thread: Cookie control and Pop up blocking

jpete Guest

Default Cookie control and Pop up blocking

Why do I have to turn these two things off? Even if I add specific sites, and allow them full access, several of sites require that I set one or both sliders to off. Including this one.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Jeff

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: Cookie control and Pop up blocking

Dear jpete:

The Custom Privacy Settings dialog box for Cookies, Ad Blocking, and Mobile Code are global in scope and, once set, affect all future websites that you visit. The Site List tab of the Privacy panel is for relaxing those restrictions for a specific site. You shouldn't have to turn off cookie control or ad blocking in the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box. Can you list the sites that gave you problems so I can check it out myself?
    Also, please detail what problems you encountered.

WATCHER

jpete Guest

Well, this site for example. If I had the ad blocker on, when I try to log in, it tells me I must have cookies enabled. Even though I have it listed as a trusted site, and have all the cookies and pop ups checked to "Allow". The other main site I go on is www.chevelles.com which also does basically the same thing. If I log in and then try to go to one of the forums, I am brought back to the log on screen.

watcher Guest

Dear jpete:

When you visit a website, it appears in the Site List of the Privacy panel. The automatic settings placed here are the ones that you set in the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box. You may edit these and when you do, you'll see what looks like a pencil icon in the Edited column. For both sites that you listed, forum.zonelabs.com and chevelles.com, the Site List for these 2 sites shows a red X(Block/Disable) under Mobile Code, Cookie Control-3rd Party, Web Bugs, and Private Header. There are green checkmarks(Allow) for Cookie Control-Session and Persistent. I am able to access both sites. In the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box, I only block 3rd-party cookies as these are used for tracking purposes. However, I have ad-blocking enabled for all types of ads as I cannot stand them. So, recheck your firewall settings. Also, check your browser settings as you can block cookies and ads with it independent from the firewall. In addition, antispyware utilities have this capability as well.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

findley Guest

WATCHERDoes your recounting of what settings work for you in the Privacy --> Site list include:

Browser cookie setting of Medium High?
    I ask because that is the only way I can log on to this forum.:8}

jpete Guest

Here is what the two sites look like in my site list:

If I
    have "Ad Blocking" or "Cookie Control" in the "Main" tab of "Privacy" set to anything but "Off", I can no longer log onto either of them.

watcher Guest

Dear jpete:

Well, my Site List is more restrictive than yours and I can access both sites. I have my browser set to delete cookies when I close it. Ditto for its cache. That may help but check your other security software to be sure they are not blocking the sites.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear Findley:

I don't use IE except for Windows Update. I have IE with Custom setting and under the Advanced Privacy Settings dialog box, this is how I have it configured:

Override automatic cookie handling-checkmarked
    First-Party Cookies-Accept enabled
    Third-Party Cookies-Block enabled
    Always allow session cookies-checkmarked

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

findley Guest

WATCHER,
    Thanks for your help:8}
    Findley

Thread Information