Thread: Privacy settings stuck on the first site visited after starting ZoneAlarm Pro.

andreww Guest

Default Privacy settings stuck on the first site visited after starting ZoneAlarm Pro.

I am using ZoneAlarm Pro 7.0.337.000 in Windows XP Home.
    On starting ZoneAlarm, either when booting the PC or after manually shutting down, only the first site visited gets added to the site list in 'Privacy'. After that, ZoneAlarm thinks that all sites are that first site, and uses the privacy settings for that site. For example, having cleared out the ZA .idb files, I start my PC and visit www.fanfiction.net. Privacy Advisor informs me it has blocked cookies, private headers and code
    (as required by the main privacy settings), and when I click on Privacy Advisor to see more information, I see fanfiction has been added as the only site in the site list, with the current default privacy settings.
    All fine so far. I permit code for fanfiction, login to fanfiction, everything works.
    I then come to the Zonelabs website. Privacy Advisor tells me that it has blocked cookies and private headers (NOT code), and asking for more information still shows only the fanfiction site. Code is now enabled for every subsequent site I visit. Even adding sites by hand has no effect, ZoneAlarm is convinced that the only site I'm visiting is fanfiction, and those are the settings it uses.
    If I shut down ZoneAlarm, restart it, and come to the Zonelabs site first, ZoneAlarm thinks that all the sites I visit after that are the Zonelabs site.
    I have cleared out ZoneAlarm's .idb files in safe mode, uninstalled and re-installed ZoneAlarm, made sure no other software is blocking cookies or code.
    NOD32 virus checker has web access protection enabled, but that seems to be looking for recognised threats rather than blocking wholesale. Windows firewall is turned off.
    Any ideas how I fix this? Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

watcher Guest

Default Re: Privacy settings stuck on the first site visited after starting ZoneAlarm Pro.

Dear AndrewW:

Nod32 has a HTTP proxy feature, if I recall correctly from reading a post of it on this forum, that scans web traffic prior to the browser rendering it for you to view. That may be the cause.

Besides that, the Site List tab of the Privacy panel lists the global settings by default for the sites listed here, unless you customize them by site. The global settings are found in the Privacy panel, Main tab, and clicking any of the Custom buttons there to bring up the Custom Privacy Settings dialog box. Any configuration done here is global in scope. So, make sure more restrictive settings are configured here and less restrictive ones used per site in the Site List tab.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

jimsenp Guest

Default Re: Privacy settings stuck on the first site visited after starting ZoneAlarm Pro.

Since checkpoint doesn't have a free
    e-mail support for reporting technical issues (only customer service questions), I am posting my problem here as follows:
    I have the same problem as the original posting.
    To me this is a major problem.
    Once you
    access the first web site and set its privacy settings in the "Site List" tab then all other sites use this same privacy setting.
    The reason I know it uses these same settings is because when the Privacy Advisor comes up, I click "Click here for details" and it takes me to the "Site List" for the first website I visit, instead of creating a new "Site List" entry for this new web site.
    Also, concerning the global settings in the "Main" tab (this was alluded to by a prior posting), I have blocked all: Cookies, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code Control.
    By blocking all in the global settings, when I go to a new web site, it shouldn't allow any cookies, ads or mobile code until I change its settings in the "Site List".
    This used to work properly but something has affected it and it no longer seems to work properly.
    Instead, as described in the prior paragraph, it uses the settings in the "Site List" for the first web site I visited.
    Note:
    I am connected to the internet through a wired ethernet on a wireless router which is connected to a DSL modem.
    I have included the router address as trusted.

I don't think this is the reason for this new problem.
    But, I may be wrong.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a prior version of ZA Pro but that didn't solve.
    So, I reinstalled latest ZA Pro version.

When I reinstalled ZA Pro, I noticed another, possibly related problem which could be also causing this problem.
    The program control alert comes up : McAfee Proxy Service Module is trying to access the internet.
    The program is McProxy.exe.

Prior to allowing McProxy.exe, I first started up Windows Explorer.
    I try accessing the site.
    It does not allow me to connect.
    So, I then allow McProxy.exe from program control alert window.
    Then, I can access the web site.
    But, the same issue still occurs as described by the prior message:
    Only the first website you access shows up on the Privacy "Site List".
    Any other web sites visited use this sites privacy settings.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>JimSENP wrote:
    Since checkpoint doesn't have a free
    e-mail support for reporting technical issues (only customer service questions), I am posting my problem here as follows:
    I have the same problem as the original posting.
    To me this is a major problem.
    Once you
    access the first web site and set its privacy settings in the &quot;Site List&quot; tab then all other sites use this same privacy setting.
    The reason I know it uses these same settings is because when the Privacy Advisor comes up, I click &quot;Click here for details&quot; and it takes me to the &quot;Site List&quot; for the first website I visit, instead of creating a new &quot;Site List&quot; entry for this new web site.
    Also, concerning the global settings in the &quot;Main&quot; tab (this was alluded to by a prior posting), I have blocked all: Cookies, Ad Blocking and Mobile Code Control.
    By blocking all in the global settings, when I go to a new web site, it shouldn't allow any cookies, ads or mobile code until I change its settings in the &quot;Site List&quot;.
    This used to work properly but something has affected it and it no longer seems to work properly.
    Instead, as described in the prior paragraph, it uses the settings in the &quot;Site List&quot; for the first web site I visited.
    Note:
    I am connected to the internet through a wired ethernet on a wireless router which is connected to a DSL modem.
    I have included the router address as trusted.

I don't think this is the reason for this new problem.
    But, I may be wrong.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a prior version of ZA Pro but that didn't solve.
    So, I reinstalled latest ZA Pro version.

When I reinstalled ZA Pro, I noticed another, possibly related problem which could be also causing this problem.
    The program control alert comes up : McAfee Proxy Service Module is trying to access the internet.
    The program is McProxy.exe.

Prior to allowing McProxy.exe, I first started up Windows Explorer.
    I try accessing the site.
    It does not allow me to connect.
    So, I then allow McProxy.exe from program control alert window.
    Then, I can access the web site.
    But, the same issue still occurs as described by the prior message:
    Only the first website you access shows up on the Privacy &quot;Site List&quot;.
    Any other web sites visited use this sites privacy settings.

<hr></blockquote>There is free email support for reporting technical issues.
    Here is the link to technical support:http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp
    Since this is a users forum , please post back your results and help other users.
    Regards,Findley

andreww Guest

After going through ZoneLab helpdesk's instructions, it looks like this is a software conflict with Eset's NOD32 anti-virus, specifically the service 'Eset Service'.
    I've asked them if they can log it as a known conflict.

Thread Information