Thread: clicking on URL in mail crashes Outlook Express; "reply" crashes Outlook Express

jackiej Guest

Default clicking on URL in mail crashes Outlook Express; "reply" crashes Outlook Express

After many happy years with MailFrontier Desktop, I had to switch to the version of anti-spam in ZoneAlarm. I finally got it to filter email, but now I cannot click on a URL sent to me in an email. Doing so crashes Outlook Express. And if I click Reply, often it crashes Outlook Express, sometimes immediately, sometimes after I've written some part of my reply, sometimes after I send the mail.
    I've seen similar postings but none for the specific problem of URLs in Outlook Express 6. I am using Windows XP Home Edition, SP2, ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.462.000. I'm desperate here; I can't go back to MailFrontier--they've become SonicWall, which creates the program in ZoneAlarm.
    -jackie

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jackiej Guest

Default Re: clicking on URL in mail crashes Outlook Express; "reply" crashes Outlook Express

I just read a ton of messages from October on indicating that the mail filter crashes Outlook Express when one uses Reply or Forward, so forget about that. Help needed with the URL problem. And darn darn darn, my whole point of upgrading to the Security Suite was to GET the anti-spam protection, so don't tell me to turn it off. I'll have to find another program.

findley Guest

Default Re: clicking on URL in mail crashes Outlook Express; "reply" crashes Outlook Express

<blockquote><hr>jackiej wrote:
    I just read a ton of messages from October on indicating that the mail filter crashes Outlook Express when one uses Reply or Forward, so forget about that. Help needed with the URL problem. And darn darn darn, my whole point of upgrading to the Security Suite was to GET the anti-spam protection, so don't tell me to turn it off. I'll have to find another program.
    <hr></blockquote>Hi jackiej,
    Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum jackiej!
    What jumped out at me from reading your two posts was your words &quot;upgrading to the Security Suite&quot;This raises a number of questions:1 - Upgrading from what?2 - Did you have a previous Zone Alarm product installed?
    What? and what other anti-virus and anti-spyware programs were/are installed?
    You can not install zone alarm security suite over the top of a previous zone alarm product, it must be uninstalled first, then install zone alarm internet security suite.3 - Did you uninstall the previous firewall before installing Zone alarm internet security suite?
    Users run into major problems when they try to run two software firewalls.4 - Did you uninstall the previous antivirus software?
    Again, users run into severe conflicts when they try to run two antivirus packages.5 - If you were previously running Norton or McAfee security software on your computer did you uninstall using their removal tools or were they removed using Windows Add/Remove?
    If Windows Add/Remove was used this does an inadeqaute job leaving bits of files and registry entries behind causing conflicts for a new security software installation.
    As an aside here, another user had the nonworking URLs in email (using Outlook not Outlook Express) and the resolution turned out to be that the user had not uninstalled Norton; the Norton removal tool was used by the user, the user uninstalled ZAISS using clean uninstall, reinstalled ZAISS and problem resolved.
    Regards,Findley

jackiej Guest

Thanks, Findlay. I was upgrading from MailFrontier Desktop and free ZoneAlarm 7.0.337. I did uninstall both first. I have McAfee Antivirus and I did NOT install ZA's antivirus, because I have not yet discovered whether ZA's is better.
    HOWEVER, I just posted a fix that I got from SonicWall in April when I had the same problem. At that time, my MailFrontier Desktop subscription was still paid for, and I reverted to that without trying the fix. (MailFrontier Desktop is the old name for the SonicWall anti-spam program.) These instructions WORKED. Here's what I just posted elsewhere on the forum, in case it helps someone else.

I found in my old mail a response from SonicWall that I received in April, when I had the same problem, gave up, and uninstalled the package. Yesterday, I tried it, and it WORKS. Tech support response below:

With respect to the when it is working, it crashes Outlook Express if you try to reply to an email. , we recently identified that a Microsoft component, INETCOMM.DLL, needs to be re-registered. It appears that this is a well-known problem with Microsoft update/patches. Here are some instructions to re-register INETCOMM.DLL:

1. Exit Outlook/Outlook Express

2. Launch a Command Window , as follows: From the system taskbar, select Start-&gt;Run

a. In the Open: field, enter cmd.exe and select Ok

b. Once started, change directory to %SystemRoot%\System32 , as follows:
    At the prompt enter the following,

cd %SystemRoot%\System32

c. Once there, register INETCOMM.DLL by entering the following at the prompt,

regsvr32 INETCOMM.DLL

3. Restart Outlook Express

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>jackiej wrote:
    Thanks, Findlay. I was upgrading from MailFrontier Desktop and free ZoneAlarm 7.0.337. I did uninstall both first. I have McAfee Antivirus and I did NOT install ZA's antivirus, because I have not yet discovered whether ZA's is better.
    HOWEVER, I just posted a fix that I got from SonicWall in April when I had the same problem. At that time, my MailFrontier Desktop subscription was still paid for, and I reverted to that without trying the fix. (MailFrontier Desktop is the old name for the SonicWall anti-spam program.) These instructions WORKED. Here's what I just posted elsewhere on the forum, in case it helps someone else.

I found in my old mail a response from SonicWall that I received in April, when I had the same problem, gave up, and uninstalled the package. Yesterday, I tried it, and it WORKS. Tech support response below:

With respect to the when it is working, it crashes Outlook Express if you try to reply to an email. , we recently identified that a Microsoft component, INETCOMM.DLL, needs to be re-registered. It appears that this is a well-known problem with Microsoft update/patches. Here are some instructions to re-register INETCOMM.DLL:

1. Exit Outlook/Outlook Express

2. Launch a Command Window , as follows: From the system taskbar, select Start-&gt;Run

a. In the Open: field, enter cmd.exe and select Ok

b. Once started, change directory to %SystemRoot%\System32 , as follows:
    At the prompt enter the following,

cd %SystemRoot%\System32

c. Once there, register INETCOMM.DLL by entering the following at the prompt,

regsvr32 INETCOMM.DLL

3. Restart Outlook Express
    <hr></blockquote>Hi jackiej,
    Excellent that all is working for you!
    I thank you again for posting the solution which will help other users.
    Best regards,Findley

Thread Information