Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLUTION to anti-spam causing Outlook Express to hang/crash when using reply

jackiej Guest

Default SOLUTION to anti-spam causing Outlook Express to hang/crash when using reply

The Anti-Spam program causes my Outlook Express to crash when using reply; it also wouldn't allow me to click on a URL in an email. I found in my old mail a response from SonicWall that I received in April, when I had the same problem, gave up, and uninstalled the package. Yesterday, I tried it, and it WORKS. Tech support response below:

With respect to the when it is working, it crashes Outlook Express if you try to reply to an email. , we recently identified that a Microsoft component, INETCOMM.DLL, needs to be re-registered. It appears that this is a well-known problem with Microsoft update/patches. Here are some instructions to re-register INETCOMM.DLL:

1. Exit Outlook/Outlook Express

2. Launch a Command Window , as follows: From the system taskbar, select Start->Run

a. In the Open: field, enter cmd.exe and select Ok

b. Once started, change directory to %SystemRoot%\System32 , as follows:
    At the prompt enter the following,

cd %SystemRoot%\System32

c. Once there, register INETCOMM.DLL by entering the following at the prompt,

regsvr32 INETCOMM.DLL

3. Restart Outlook Express

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: SOLUTION to anti-spam causing Outlook Express to hang/crash when using reply

<blockquote><hr>jackiej wrote:
    The Anti-Spam program causes my Outlook Express to crash when using reply; it also wouldn't allow me to click on a URL in an email. I found in my old mail a response from SonicWall that I received in April, when I had the same problem, gave up, and uninstalled the package. Yesterday, I tried it, and it WORKS. Tech support response below:

With respect to the when it is working, it crashes Outlook Express if you try to reply to an email. , we recently identified that a Microsoft component, INETCOMM.DLL, needs to be re-registered. It appears that this is a well-known problem with Microsoft update/patches. Here are some instructions to re-register INETCOMM.DLL:

1. Exit Outlook/Outlook Express

2. Launch a Command Window , as follows: From the system taskbar, select Start-&gt;Run

a. In the Open: field, enter cmd.exe and select Ok

b. Once started, change directory to %SystemRoot%\System32 , as follows:
    At the prompt enter the following,

cd %SystemRoot%\System32

c. Once there, register INETCOMM.DLL by entering the following at the prompt,

regsvr32 INETCOMM.DLL

3. Restart Outlook Express

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>Thank you for posting back your solution
    Best Regards,Findley

Default Re: SOLUTION to anti-spam causing Outlook Express to hang/crash when using reply

Thank you for the possible solution. I get kicked out intermittently and frequently when email is trying to come in. Sometimes when I'm replying. - Worth a shot.

If the problem is so wide-spread, why does Zone Alarm not test for the proper environment?

I tried the &quot;solution&quot; a while back and I'm still crashing. I did a gain today and we'll see. Very frustrating - seems to be much worse at the beginning of the day after I start my PC, but can happen anytime. Knocked out 3 or 4 times so far this morning - might go the rest of the day and not be knocked out or might be.

Everytime that I restart after being knocked out the spam filter processes an incoming message. However, most times processing incoming messages with spam filter causes no problems at all.

Others having this issue where the &quot;solution&quot; did not help?

jackiej Guest

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me either, after the initial apparent success. I finally uninstalled the whole program. I contacted a tech person at SonicWall, and they can't figure out why it is crashing. They'd like to get system dumps after a crash, but it doesn't generate error messages.

garywa Guest

I started another thread on this forum a very long, long time ago for this very same problem - OE crashing when trying to reply to or forward a message.
    But, I figured, what the heck, I'll try this.
    So, I followed the steps and registered the dll file.
    I turned on the junk email filter (after shuting down OE first) and restarted OE.
    I picked one message at random and double-clicked it to open it.
    Once open, I clicked on the forward button.
    BANG! OE crashed, just like before, with no errors.
    Back to the drawing board.
    X-(

garywa Guest

Just for chuckles, I turned off the junk mail filter and restarted OE.
    I then compacted all folders.
    I shut down OE, turned the junk mail filter back on and restarted OE again.
    I randomly picked a different message from a different folder, double-clicked it to open it and then clicked on the forward button.
    BANG!
    OE crashed - again, with no error.
    BTW - the other thread I was refering to is this one - http://forum.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/b...thread.id=9474

jackiej Guest

If you look back two messages, you'll see that I retracted my solution and explained that even the folks at SonicWall who wrote the code don't have a clue.

Default "Solution" did not work for me

I would just like to document that I have the same issue as described in this thread. I sometimes get kicked out of Outlook Express when I reply to an email. The problem seems to be worst in the morning and when I reenter Outlook Express, the junk mail always runs and new emails come in.

Many others in this thread have the same issue that has not been solved by the INETCOMM.DLL registration.

Zonealarm are you there?

I bought a new disk, but subscription was almost up and only updated my registration. Does uninstalling and reinstalling help? I've had the &quot;kicked out of Outlook Express&quot; issue for many months.

How many others have the issue?

Default Re: "Solution" did not work for me

Hi!
    the best is to contact ZA technical support directly since they do not monitor this board (we are all users here).

Here: www.zonelabs.com/tsform

Have you tried already to use the "compact" features in Outlook to clean/compress your inbox?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information